I was arguing with a group of creationists...

I was arguing with a group of creationists, they "debunked" all of my arguments by saying "They're just theories" How do I come back from that...?

You can't you got BTFO by their superior ignorance. Just accept that you can argue with belief and move on with your life.

By explaining what a scientific theory actually means.

well thy are just theories, just accept their beliefs are just as valid as ours

>"well, creationism is also a theory. ;)"
creationists BTFO

gravity is a theory

"You mean AT LEAST they're theories, unlike Creationism, which is just a guess?"

creationists are easy. just ask them what the practical application of creationist theory is and what predictions it makes. when they invariably can't answer you, point out that evolution as a model does have direct industrial applications.

any scientific theory without some sort of vindicating instrumentalism is just useless philosophical circle jerking. even if evolution isn't 100% correct, throwing your hands in the air and saying "GOD DID IT!" doesn't put gas in their car.

tell them that god is just a theory

Why would you argue with someone who disagrees with you on a fundamental level?

No its not its a hypothesis at best

Why wouldn't you?

fear that he's right

Theory is such a bad name. It's just as bad as calling i an imaginary number. The wide populace at large use these words incorrectly. Somewhere, sometime, theory in popsci and mainstream culture meant something that isn't concretely proven. Normies don't realize scientifically it's called a theory because there's always a little wiggle room.

Other commonly misused buzzwords to dismiss in an argument:
>"physically." : normies think this means relating to the human body, not relating to the laws of physics
>"quantum." : hollywood and justin trudeau have really ruined this one.
>"data mining/big data" : likely to hear this one discussing computation, it literally means nothing at all
>"communist/liberal" : normies who didn't get into university like to throw this at university educated STEM majors because they're projecting their own insecurities at people who are doing better than them in life
>"any mention of celebrity scientists: Bill 'The Lyin' Guy' Nye, Neil 'Smoke DeGrasse' Tyson or Richard 'Tricky Dicky' Dawkins" : immediately turn 360 degrees and walk away

It's because it's tiresome and pointless. Even recent research has proven that you can't really change their mind.

This guy gets it

Just tell them they are retarded and stop talking to them. They are worthless people. Just give them your strongest insults and leave.

Everything is just a theory

When the person you're talking to resorts to "you cannot know nuthin", what's the point?

But this is how liberals tried to deal with trump supporters. It didn't work so well.

Well they're completely right. I love watching arrogant popsci faggots like KRAUSS getting their asses handed to them in a debate with someone knowledgeable in philosophy.
Sad!

By admitting that not only are they theories, but that you want those theories to be true for your own emotional reasons.

Are you kidding? The practical application is to see human life as sacred, being made in the image of God Himself, which is the foundation of all Western Civilization. Individual rights coming from God. Being made in the image of God. Being accountable to God.

What does your "let's pretend we're just here at random and we're just animals" philosophy lead to if not pogroms, concentration camps and killing fields?

Please give us a list of the things you know, for sure, are 100% true, always have been true, and always will be true. Under all conditions. Independent of observers.

>evolution leads to killing fields
wow there. scientific theories aren't hitler

Amazing how religious people think you can only derive morals and kindness from god. Maybe better to just let them have their beliefs if the alternative is that they kill everyone.

I think you're missing the point. "cannot know nuthin" is simply not useful, of course all knowledge is based on assumptions. It's not even worth getting to that level as once you do you're basically saying knowledge doesn't exist and even the idea of creationism or evolution becomes totally moot.

I know with 100% objective certainty that you are a faggot.

gee golly. i bet if you take your model to any resource extraction company they will totally integrate your ideas into their industry.

lol, no they won't. your philosophical bullshit doesn't make money. you seem to think the scope of science extends beyond this instrumentalism. it doesn't.

Experimental results arnt theories. Evolution has been proven to exist. You obviously dont know enough brainlet.

Theory is not a bad name, people just don't know what it means. Most of the modern physics relies solely on theories, because it is known that some things objectively cannot be proven using current technology, yet that doesn't mean we can't take the risk and rely on them if the math works. Another thing is - it is absolute pain in the ass to officialy prove, or even worse, get something to be called 'law' in physics, so people obviously work on the problems, but they don't bother getting it proven just to spend years of work and find out it doesnt meet the criteria.

Besides, I can say with rather strong certainty that no there is no theorem in math that's easier to prove than to use, sometimes to the absurd proportions, see - Fermat's last theorem. Similar case probably applies to all areas of other sciences.

False.

Catch up with Socrates. If you don't know the Socratic quote I'm referring to, get off any board where triple digit IQ people communicate with each other, even anonymously. It's just not for you.

Str8 with wife, kids and grandkids. Look up Zion Oil & Gas and come back more humble.

People like you. You think scientific theories are true. They're not. They just haven't been proven false yet, but they will be. They all will be. Every single one of them.

Yes, nothing about ubermensch and untermencsh in Hitler's world. Nothing at all. Nobody being referred to as rats, or apes, or other animals one can kill with impunity. Not even a hint.

>I was arguing with a group of creationists

>lying on the internet.

Without God there is no objective basis for morality.

Welcome to Wisdom 101. You're flunking, by the way.

List of useless things:
1. Science
2. Philosophy
3. Empiricism
4. Atomism
5. You

i know exactly who they are. and guess what? the relative dating methods they use for their core samples are all based on evolutionary theory. this is industry standard and you aren't going to find any company doing it differently.

so yeah, try again.

>Without God there is no objective basis for morality.
I never said anything about "objective".

I hope intramolecular forces will be proven false just so you can fucking fall apart

Nothing is based on evolutionary theory, actually. People use what works, not the fantasies of atheists who deny they're accountable to God for the life they've been given.

There is no subjective morality. So your statement was absolutely "We can have objective morality without Religion/God".

It's a false statement.

I'll take "what about survival strategy" for 100 please.

>There is no subjective morality. So your statement was absolutely "We can have objective morality without Religion/God".
Alright, in that case there is no objective morality. Suits me just the same.

>Nothing is based on evolutionary theory

patently false. macro evolution is the current assumption used in relative dating because it is the only explanation for why all species didn't exist at the same time. without this assumption the entire concept of benchmark fossils is rendered invalid.

just because you are too scientifically illiterate to know what the applications are doesn't mean they don't exist.

b8

>god
>an objective basis for morality
Don't make me laugh so hard, I'll die and that'll be the end of me.

People in general are starting to get more intelligent. This also count for believers. What we are now dealing with is the fase that even they want to test things. Their problem is that they found out science really debunked at least the bible. So they need to debunk science. Flat earth is such an attempt. The book bible is full of poetic stories. When you want to take it as fact, it sounds good if you never understood the lessons at school, otherwise it's just plain stupid.

Fact is that true believers are simple minded people or just too young to understand the purpose of the story.

Funny how they think the know what Darwin was saying, while they did not read the manuscript them self. If they did, they would understand the concept. The theory of evolution is very important for those whom are studying to become medical professionals.

it's not a theory, because everything written in the bible is god's law and an undeniable, irrefutable fact

atheism