This might be a good time for a reminder

This might be a good time for a reminder.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=drcseH-7hpw)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't let yourself be this guy, for a number of reasons.

>people give credence to others' opinions

How fucking pleb can one be?

so who should we be listening to then?

I ask for the same meme, but with intellectuals that we are supposed to listen to. It is easy to consume something different than to ignore something and having nothing to replace it.

There are thousands of intellectuals you should "listen to", IE read thoroughly, carefully, and critically. You can start by searching topics you're interested in at scholar.google.com.

i really, really like this meme

I understand that they exist, I am simply requesting a list of intelligent contemporaries who produce solid material to combat the above list of idiots.

milo is in the collage

How is Bloom a pseud?

he has polarizing ideals compared to the majority of his contemporaries, which means the edgelords get defensive and have to call him a pseud to out-edge Bloom and maintain their status as the true lords of edge.

Several of the people in the pic are very intelligent and deserve attention on certain topics, but not necessarily the amount of attention their celebrity status gives them when compared to their colleagues. Making a list of intellectuals or academics you should pay attention to would be way too long and difficult.

a dfw memer probably made that image

I know, that's the point...

start with the Greeks

DFW actually needs to be added to it since he is the king of pseuds.

Wonder how DFW would have reacted to the Trump win.

>a snob too scared to name drop

people who should be added to this:
>william lane craig
>pastor anderson
>the golden one
>athene (youtube.com/watch?v=drcseH-7hpw)
>rob ager

Well, people like Chomsky and Dawkins have obviously done very important work, though I know of some people in their fields who think they've excessively popularized certain paradigms that may be questionable. Again, read them, but read them critically.

Any one who talks about "pseudo-intellectuals" can safely be disregarded.

Not really aware of those people. The ones in the pic are just the ones Veeky Forums likes to talk about.

pastor anderson and golden one are /pol/ memes, WLC's tripe gets spewed by novice christians sometimes, and athene is too fucking funny and grand in his delusional pseudry to ignore

>Dawkins
I will have to step in here. Yes he did, but the selfish gene idea set evolutionary biology back and is a misconception. It was a highly popular book and left its mark.
Memetics on the other hand was a failure, but it is taken seriously by a few nerds.

So not as important work as you might think.

Memetics is taken seriously by a LOT of nerds,a ctually. Where do you think you are...?

>Zizek
>Harold Bloom

I ignore everyone who uses irony to express ideas

You sound like the most boring person on the planet.

Lol he literally uses the word euphoric in the vid

I mean seriously how do you even read literature like this. Why are you ona literature board

Honestly, if you want something new and conservative, Alasdair MacIntyre, as the most brilliant moral philosopher of the last century.

It's irony guys.

WLC is extremely unpopular with Catholics who, from what I can tell, make up for the majority of Christians here.
And for good reason, he is a shit tier philosopher and even worse as a theologian.
His understanding of Thomism gives me second hand embarrassment.

I just assumed it was someone who was mad about hipsters or whatever

This, post your list so everyone can shit on it in turn

Catholics are like weird cultists though tbqh

yeah i was thinking of being cruel and listing feser or bishop barron but that would be taking things too far desu

Barron and Feser are pretty good, Feser writes excellent blog posts and introductory material on numerous things (in any case he is published in the Cambridge Companion, which from what I understand has quality control). But, of course, MacIntyre, Anscombe, Geach, Oderberg>Feser
Barron keeps it very, very simple and I never did see anyone using arguments from authority in reference to him.

All religious people are dumb intellectually regressive faggots LOL