What if a single atom were to hit you at 99% of the speed of light? would it vaporize you?

What if a single atom were to hit you at 99% of the speed of light? would it vaporize you?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoli_Bugorski
wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1/2*(1/(sqrt(1-((0.99c)^2)/c^2)))*1.67*10^(-27)kg*(0.99c)^2
boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=626861
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

A regular hydrogen atom

It would be very painful.

for you

FIRST ONE TO TALK GETS TO STAY ON MY ELECTRON CLOUD

>mass*acceleration
nope.

Seriously though, it would have no effect at all. It would be many millions of times less than the effect of a small bullet.

no, its been done.

what if my BBC hit your wifes vagina at lightspeed?

Perhaps he is wondering why would you share an electron after transfering it to a higher energy level

you don't get to bring neutrons

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anatoli_Bugorski

What's the next step in your master's degree experiment?

Fissioning this Atom.

What if I stepped into the beam inside the LHC?

with no survivors?

Would probably burn before hitting the target

>99% of the speed of light
That's a lot of speed

I think i got hit by helium nuclei a lot of times in my life.

Happens all the time due to alpha decay of radioisotopes, except instead of a single proton it's a helium nucleus consisting of 2 protons and 2 neutrons.

You're a big atom

For you
And you too

A proton beam is not a "single atom"

s/burn/end up in jail/

What if it was a uranium atom or something? Would it be a miniature fission bomb?

no.

you get cancer

You know fission bombs are only bombs because there's a chain reaction, right?
You can't have a chain reaction if there's no chain.

Photons are one day likely to be seen as a particle resembling an atom, but with smaller sub-particles. Photons go at 100% c, so it probably depends on mass. And if it did pass through us, it'd probably be only ONE sub-microscopic hole and not harm enough molecules in its path to be fatal.

No that isn't likely at all I'm afraid, user

an atom flying at 0.99c would only be ~7times heavier, so not much.

wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1/2*(1/(sqrt(1-((0.99c)^2)/c^2)))*1.67*10^(-27)kg*(0.99c)^2

this is the kinetic energy of a hydrogen atom at 0.99c (mass times velocity squared/2). I have included the relativistic effects on mass (hence the lorence factor before the mass of the hydrogen atom, which is 1.67*10^-27), but for 0.99c it is only about 7, so it doesn't really make much difference.

*lorentz factor

No! they expect one of us to scatter, brother

>10^-10 Joules

I think we're safe.

How much mass do you need to get the energy of an AK-47 round (2kJ)?

~10^13 atoms, meaning 10^-10 moles , so aproximately 0.1 nanogram

That also means that a 10 gram bullet at that speed would have ~10^14 Joules of energy, aproximately 24 kilotons of TNT.

Recommended read:

boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=626861