I'm hesitant to ask, but fuck it

I'm hesitant to ask, but fuck it.

I cannot understand why Blood Meridian is considered asthetically superior to Gravity's Rainbow. Perhaps it's capable of reaching a wider audience, but that doesn't make it better...

GR terrified me much more than Blood Meridian; it also made me laugh hysterically and, yes, at times, shed a tear or two.

I've tried and tried to find the superiority of Blood Meridian, but I can't. I think it's undoubtedly a great book, but nowhere near Pynchon's masterwork.

If anyone thinks differently, I'm sincerely asking you to make the case for Blood Meridian over GR.

>I cannot understand why Blood Meridian is considered asthetically superior to Gravity's Rainbow

you sound like a fucking idiot and i doubt you actually read either book

Define your system and I'll help you quantify the aesthetics

>I'm sincerely asking you to make the case for Blood Meridian over GR.

You make the case of GR over BM first

Holy shit, what a waste of time this was.

Good night Veeky Forums/lit/, continue meeting my expectations for you.

if you're op you can fuck off

GR prose is more neglicted in some parts as in the story of byron the bulb

>I cannot understand why Blood Meridian is considered asthetically superior to Gravity's Rainbow.

I've never heard anyone try to make this case. If anything the two resist comparison because their styles differs so dramatically.

I would put GR above Blood Meridian largely for the reasons you put in. GR plays to a terror more vertiginous and icy than Blood Meridian. Plus GR is so relentless. Though they are both phenomenal works.

OP here, thank you for not having a meaningless tantrum.

this. op you're asking for us to resolve a false dichotomy for you. why can't you rate them separately? does this really need to be a fucking contest about which book is subjectively "better"? it makes no sense.

oh i'm not throwing a tantrum. i'm pointing out the fact that you're just wasting the board's time with a childish and plebeian question.

lol, "wasting the board's time".

Who the fuck has ever claimed that Blood Meridian is "better" than Gravity's Rainbow?

I mean that OP: give me names. Otherwise this is just a shitpost designed to rile up Pinecone fanboys. GR just does so much more than BM as a novel that no serious person could ever argue it somehow falls short of a standard retroactively set by McCarthy.

The entire planet minus a dozen.

Yeah okay nobody that's what I thought

Now that we've settled this thread maybe you'll have time to actually crack one of these bad boys open

That wasn't me.

I guess I'll bite. Here's one from Veeky Forums's patron saint:

"I venture that no other living American novelist, not even Pynchon, has given us a book as strong and memorable as Blood Meridian"

It's painfully obvious OP has read neither book

It's painfully obvious you're either in high school or undergrad.

Is that Bloom. He is long in the tooth and given to praising books based on how they operate within canonical systems.

Since he thinks Blood Meridian closed the western cannon [cowboy/manifest destiny wester] he probably finds it particularly pleasing for its role among an interrelated system of texts.

OP here, thank you for an actual response.

lol at least you're well versed in sick 420 burns, even if you've never read a book in your life

it's like you're trying to make friends according to who is nice to you in this thread.

Yes, I am trying to make friends on Veeky Forums.

>quantify
>aesthetics
do you read hume or something

Don't get mad at memers for meming. Seriously, is this your first day on Veeky Forums?

>aesthetically superior
Just say you like it more, stop trying to fandangle it into an objective fact.
When I'm reading McCarthy, Pynchon is the furthest thing from my mind and vice versa. There's plenty room for two great authors.

This is what I was thinking

I've never heard such a comparison before. Both novels are quite different.

but reading that part when those Indian infants get smashed on rocks or the snake-bit horse
>JEEEEEEEEZE

(Im only half way though, no spoil)

[everyone dies.]

There are shitposters, baiters, contrarians, redditors. And then there is OP.

Kys.

The ending has a big mexican standoff between all the survivors but it's suddenly stopped when the Judge drops on his knees and everybody walks the dinosaur into the Evening Redness in the Wast