I'm really smart, i just don't try

>i'm really smart, i just don't try

Literally everyone thinks that. Work ethic is a huge component of intelligence, if you think you're smart but lazy you're not smart, you're just dumb. Smart people are people who achieve things in life.

They achieve things because they work hard, things that could be achieved by anyone given enough effort.

Being smart literally just means that you make choices that benefit you.

Effort does not equal intelligence.

When people say they're 'smart but lazy' what they mean is they think they're quick learner but are too lazy to actually learn properly and hence cram for exams, do the minimal amount of effort, etc. Being a quick learner means fuck all, putting in the effort to learn the material properly is what makes a person intelligent, not the capacity to learn the material.

Effort = Velocity
Intelligence = Magnitude

VECTOR O' ACHIEVEMENT/SUCCESS

Sorry your entire "I'm a super genius I just can't be bothered trying" worldview is crashing down around you, but it really does.

/thread
now fuck off

Lazy brainlet detected.

A smart people will understand that he has to work hard to get as far as possible

I dunno I sympathize. I find efficient ways to do as little as possible so I can do less. Then find elaborate ways of disguising that I barely did anything.

He is right, effort is an intelligent quality but having it doesn't make you smart. No matter how hard some may try they will never be able to accomplish things on the levels of Einstein because they simply just aren't smart enough

>A smart people

Most likely bait but I'll bite. I just choose not to pursue things that are meaningless with my life, just because I don't put forth the effort to "get as far as possible" by your standards does not make me dumb. Instead of pursuing what you think is valuable I choose to pursue meaning and purpose instead of material pleasure.

Definitely not. There are plenty of dumb people who work really hard to be "successful." They put in effort but are nowhere near as smart as someone else who puts in little effort but is extremely intelligent.

>Einstein

>lucky fag

It almost all depends on luck

>I choose to pursue meaning and purpose instead of material pleasure.

>implying I look for material pleasure.

I pursue KNOWLEDGE for your information, buddy. I read books.

This is true, since you were not able to choose anything about your placement in this universe it literally all depends on luck.

Okay PAL, then why do you pursue knowledge?

For monetary gain or purpose?

And do you think for yourself or just absorb the ideas written without questioning them for yourself?

I'm not who you replied too, but by saying that effort != intelligence I'd argue that the former is better than the latter.

Understanding that something has to be done is entirely different from having the willpower to actually do it.

Not him, but I pursue knowledge because I get stressed when I don't.
I have to know how things work or I can't sleep.

Intelligence depends on luck. It's not like he did any effort to have his über-genetics and be born in a privileged background.

Good for you. I kind of do the same. I pursue that knowledge but constantly remind myself that all of that knowledge might be proved wrong in the future. It's a very weird balance between thinking I do know and realizing I might not know.

It took a gorrillion years for evolution to do what it has. And from it, we were actualized. And now we can do in a few hundred years through selective breeding what evolution would have taken many millennium.
That is the difference between intelligence and effort.

>Understanding that something has to be done is entirely different from having the willpower to actually do it.

If you "understand it" enough, you'll work.

It's not that you'll put in more effort if you're intelligent(industriousness/conscientiousness and intelligence has no relation to each other), you will simply learn new things faster if you are more intelligent thus you will need to put in less effort in the first place.

I learn art fast.

But I suck at biology and stuff

If you don't try, you're not smart.

Smart is about knowing how to succeed and doing it. Your IQ doesn't make you smart, it just shows how much potential you waste by being stupid.

Get your shit together and make something of yourself.

post your work faggot.

Someone who works hard and is successful is smart, regardless of intelligence. You are not smart if you waste your intelligence by being lazy.

Intelligence is just how much capacity and ease you have to learn shit. Smart is whether you can figure out how to succeed in various ways (socially, financially, biologically, etc.)

There is a difference between being smart enough to actually use your intelligence, and being a simpleton parroting memorized trivia.

You can find out how smart someone is real quick if you give them a novel task. As in, make them do something they haven't specifically prepared for with their schooling.

The only intelligence that matters is creativity and the ability to actually have an impact on the physical world around you. Whether this is writing, art, engineering, architecture, programming, et cetera. Plenty of people flub their careers and get stuck doing shitty work because they never manage to produce at the required level.

>I learn art fast.

word salad

You wont achieve mental skills if you dont try. Many are naturally talented with memory, math, etc but if u dont put in the effort you will easily be outpaced in higher level settings.

Why don't you put effort in things you do then?
>inb4 lazy
that's just another way of saying stupid

I would argue that a smarter person would know how to be as lazy as possible to reap the greatest benefits.

This is such a foolish outlook. It's true, but people who take this fact as carte blanche to slack don't realize just how competitive science is these days. It's brutal out there.

Understanding it enough to work means understanding it on an emotional level, and that requires more than intelligence.

What does it mean to "learn art fast"? Do you easily understand artistic concepts and the meaning behind works? Do you have an easy time drawing and/or painting? If you mean the second, you just have really good motor skills. That's not intelligence.

For the record, I,OP, am not saying this

Wouldnt be a better comparison if intelligence is amplitude and effort frequency?

this

I'm an actual subgenius with ADHD.
I literally can't try, I try to try, but I can do and come up with some brilliant shit, I just cannot direct my efforts. It sucks

Get where? There's no real difference between me and Bill Gates. We both will die and become just lifeless energy, and none of our achievements meant nothing.

we will both die and our borrowed energy will flow through life indefinitely*
The casual effects of our actions will haunt reality till the end*
Ftfy
You will cease to be self aware one day but you will always be a stain on nature

this

baka. im actually have the capacity of a genius but the adhd prevents its flow. not my prob tho, societies loss haha

Nihilist Detected.
Tell us Owl man. What do?

Baka desu senpai kuuuuuuuuuuuun~

>Why don't you put effort in things you do then?
Easily bored. Depression. Always tired. Etc

>subgenius
>but I never try
Then how do you know you're a subgenius?

I'm all about that slack, because of my hyper-intellegence, you pink.
Praise Bob

>The two components of a vector are velocity and magnitude
You've got the velocity but not the magnitude.

The ability to concentrate and adapt to produce results is a vital part of more generally defined intelligence, i.e. the one that actually matters. Things like IQ tests are only really useful to tell the retards from the rest. Real intelligent people leave a mark in the world.

>but constantly remind myself that all of that knowledge might be proved wrong in the future.
>all of that knowledge
an intelligent person would be able to distinguish between knowledge that is definitely true and knowledge that could be proven wrong in the future. It all depends on the initial assumptions that the knowledge is based off of. If the assumptions are questionable, then so is the knowledge. But I think a good definition for smart is someone who's intuition tells them which assumptions are trivial.

A lot of smart people don't try, especially if they're stuck (or think they're stuck) at a mediocre school and that trying won't help them escape.

It can also be a copout. Smart people often have big egos about their intelligence, and they don't want to try and fail. It's considered OK to fail if you don't try, because that doesn't say anything about your intelligence. But as soon as you try and fail, it's obvious that you just weren't smart enough.

why the fuck do people even say that?
hard work always deserves more respect than unused inborn talent

This
What if said person actually DOES learn and retain the material though, without effort? Take me for example:
>Attend lectures
>Do fuck-all else
>Don't take notes
>Don't do homework
>Don't study outside of class
>Still ace exams with ease
Granted, I'm still an utter failure at life because of my abysmal work ethic, and if that makes me "stupid" then fair enough. But one thing's for sure, I DID learn what I was taught plenty effectively, regardless of whether you or anyone else thinks I did it "properly" or not.
>understand
>care
Two different things.

>It all depends on the initial assumptions
I start with an initial self-directive [to keep an open mind], then I begin a list of statements.
I have only two statements that are I bother to declare since all others follow from them.

This. If you are actually smart, you're smart enough to see where a little hard work can lead you. Not getting on your knees and sucking dick, but taking the time to learn new things and use it to make life easier on yourself.

That just means you weren't taking hard enough classes

If school is easy still, then that's when you go work on a personal project

Saying you're smart but lazy either means you're an idiot who can't see the forest for the trees when it comes to learning new things and moving ahead in life, or that you can see the forest for the trees but you're too dumb to understand why you should probably bother making something of your life if you're going to sit around and complain about it.

I have no qualms with someone who is the second type but is either suicidal or doesn't complain about their cards dealt in life and pretty much rolls with the punches on everything. Someone who says this shit in a completely voluntary academic setting like a college and then complains about thei shitty GPA, having to retake classes for their major, etc. needs to seriously reevaluate their life.

Smart but not lazy here. I still can't keep my GPA up and I try to always go the extra mile outside of classes

Sometimes I just make a retarded mistakes for no good reason. It's frustrating

Accept your condition and be grateful for the life you are given each day. You could also choose to believe that there is a God who created a world that can be explained simply through equations and numbers.

>That just means you weren't taking hard enough classes
Mechanical engineering, standard curriculum. They wouldn't let me take harder classes, prerequisites and all that.