So what's the truth about this shit

So what's the truth about this shit.

It's objectively fucking white and gold, drop each pixels individually, yes the "white" parts are slightly blue. But still closer to white.

My thought is that it depends on the brightness and contrast of the monitor I guess.

Open it in gimp, darken the image and turn up the contrast and it becomes black and blue.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What are you stupid? It's clearly fucking blue and black.

Really weird, I first saw it as white and gold but staring at the darker parts of gold made it become black and blue

white and gold

It's blue and vomit brown

clearly its blue and black

Please, not this fucking thing again.

REE THIS IS NOT WHAT I EXPECTED

Except those are the colours of darkest regions and those colours are just grey and dark gold/brown, which is consistent with it being white and gold.

I always wondered why do you guys lie, what's the purpose ? just having someone answer "lol no it's black and blue" ? Do you seek attention that much?

If you see white and gold you are absolutely 100% a subhuman retarded monkey. It is blue and black in real life and in the picture. I understand seeing red in the new cyan strawberry image, but this dress thing was so dumb. I cannot even force myself to see it as white and gold.

Fuck off with this bait.

I too see it is blue and black. I don't disbelieve the people who say that it's white and gold.
I really want to hear a genuine scientific explanation as to why this phenomenon ocurrs.

I choose what I see, and I trust my eyes before all other eyes. I am NOT going to change who I am (how I perceive the world) merely because someone tells me what to see.

It's obviously because almost everyone who watches the picture look at it on different screens on different devices with different color calibrations. If you play around with contrast/brightness and other options you can easily turn it white/blue.

How the fuck can you think this is black

How the fuck can you think this is white

That is not at all the color

there is no black color in that picture. the lowest value in that pic is 67/225 and its a tiny area of the pic.

That is the colour of the middle of one of the dark stripes. Seen there, it's obviously dull yellow/gold.

That looks like white fabric in shadow far more than it looks 'blue'.

I once read an article about that.
I believe it depended on the surrounding you imagine this dress to be in. That is, subconsciously.
People who see white and gold (which are the colours in the picture) see the photo taken under natural light, trusting the colours to be true.
People who see blue and black (which are the real colours of the dress) see the photo taken under artificial light and correct the image in their head.

I don't know what causes this. You might think that the knowledge of a different perspective might give you the ability to take it, like with optical illusions. However, I just can't see it in blue and black, even though I have looked at unambigious pictures of that dress

Did you guys not get the memo that the dress is actually black and blue? If anything, scientists need to study what went wrong in the brains of people who answered "white and gold." Probably an early sign of Alzheimer's or something.

Are you retarded? They posted the real pic of the dress and it was white and gold

Actually that is the real pic, the people who posted it on Face Book came out later and said it was blue/black. I see it as white/gold too but it is, in fact, blue/black.

I've only ever seen blue and black.

why did you make it red and yellow?

I was under the "it's blue and black obviously anyone who says otherwise is a dumbass and liar" and that was later supported by the evidence of the actual dress. I never saw white and gold.

One day a few months ago I was scrolling through an image feed and saw a brightly white and gold pair of sandals. I clicked on it and when I looked back I saw pic related, a very clearly blue and black.

I don't know why this happens but it's definitely real.

Thanks doc

Black under bright yellow lighting.

I get the gold/black thing. In reality it's like brown/gold but it's easy to see why people would interpret a shiny black

Dunno how the fuck people don't see blue though, it's clearly blue

Lightest and darkest parts in pic

excellent

Merci docteur

I just got it to change colours, and return.
My method is to change my point of focus to the white/blue material if I want to view the dress as blue and black, and to look at the black/gold area around the neck if I want to see it as white and gold.
I think it has something to do with your eyes adjusting in an attempt to contrast the "subject" to it's surrounding.

Try consiously changing the point you are looking at on the dress, and hold your eyes there for a few minutes.
It can help to make the image smaller
as well I find.

that's horseshit

i remember seeing this and showing my girlfriend instantly. showed it to her on my phone, didn't change brightness or anything. I saw it as black and blue, she saw it as white and gold. we walked the phone to her brother, who saw it as white and gold, but his wife saw it as black and blue.

some people are just born with a retard gene it seems

This was an annoying trend, There was nothing worse than a smug Blue/blacker.

Just a dumb picture with high exposition.

this meme is old as fuck

Sorry, I was easy to misunderstand.
What I meant is this: The people make subconcious assumptions about the lighting the photo was taken under.
It has nothing to do with screen brightness or lighting under which you are looking at the photo.

because it is not being shined directly on by light making look white to the brain

I don't understand, are people saying black and blue trolling?

Close your eyes and face a lamp directly for a minute. Look at the dress again and it will be blue and black.

Nope it's still white and gold

Weird. I was skimming the catalogue and the thumbnail looked like it was white and gold. That's the first time I've ever been able to perceive it as white and gold, my first thought was that someone had edited it, but then I clicked the thread, read some replies scrolled up and it was blue and black again, and now I can't make myself perceive it as white and gold anymore. Bizarre.

It's dependent on your surrounding light levels.

Why is someone who obviously doesn't do research on a board such as Veeky Forums?

Back to >>/b/ with you.

the light part of the dress are blatantly blue

this part should not be up for debate whatsoever.

the only real question is whether the dark areas are black or a kind of dark goldish.

No you can't.
Literally had a whole class look at it on the same screen and people still saw different colours.

Sorry all I ever see is white and gold... you others must have the gay gene.

>Open it in gimp, darken the image and turn up the contrast and it becomes black and blue.

Look at the image and it looks blue and goldish brown or black.

Look at the dress in real life without weird lighting it looks blue and black, because it is blue and black.

in your mind. if you get good you can switch between the colors.

this
git good

I always find it funny that the people who see it as black and blue are so smug, despite the colors in the image being demonstrably not the ones they are seeing.

It's like looking at this illusion and being proud that you see the two squares as different shades of grey.

>despite the colors in the image being demonstrably not the ones they are seeing.

Not bait, the first day a friend texted me this (was like 4 something in the morning), I opened my eyes from deep sleep and saw it white and gold and went to sleep again.

After a few hours, when I got up for work, I saw it and it was Blue and Black. Never seen it white and gold anymore. What could it be?

You were tired so your vision wasn't at its best.

If you have poor eyesight you may see it as white.

It falls under blue on the colour spectrum but its closer to white overall

It depends on what you see vs what you know to be true. Some retards will say it's white and gold because their retard brains can't recognize that the white balance or whatever in the image is fucked up. The dress is factually black and blue.

So some 'retards' will see what is actually visibly there, while some sheep make up some shit that isn't there because they think they should

this faggotry is all a basic misunderstanding. those who say "white and gold" are saying what color the dress would be in normal lighting, and those who say "black and blue" are saying the color they see in front of them. basically if you say "black and blue" you are either retarded or pedantic.

What is actually there is a black and blue dress. The image is overexposed because of the light in front of the person that is messing with the cameras ability to capture the image, those whiting out everything else in the image. You can even see the fucking glare of the light. Some retards when asked the color of the dress will blindly say the colors they see rather than cognivitively recognizing the objective color of the dress as it actually exists.

cool

someone explain this

You've got it backwards.

I always thought it was a disgusting brown gold/grey and light blue. Is my perception fucked?

patricians with understanding of lighting dynamics and picture composition and color will be able to see it both ways.

>I really want to hear a genuine scientific explanation as to why this phenomenon ocurrs
It's not a phenomenon. It's a really REALLY shitty picture. It's so incredibly washed-out, that the blue and black resemble white and gold when cast in shade.

You ever notice how white can look blue-ish in the shade? There's your answer.

>what is lighting and how does it affect color?
retard

>So some 'retards' will see what is actually visibly there,
Yeah they'll name Blue and Gold/Brown/"Dark Orange".

Then there are those who realize that the lighting changes things a bit and say Black and Blue.

Then there are full on retards who say white.

Some people may have reduced photoreceptor sensitivity to blue light (macular degeneration). Or total color blindness.

>Or total color blindness.

>reduced photoreceptor sensitivity to blue light (macular degeneration

>blue blindness

It's obviously black and gold.
Master race.

I'm no patrician but I can see it as both

Differences in thalamic or cortical processing of color.

Objectively this

Yeah you can trick your mind and make it flip colors by thinking about it

Come on people it isn't that hard:
Look at white upper right corner, now look at the dress --> White and Gold

Look at the gold part, blink and look again --> Black and blue

Depends on light sensitivity. People who are more exposed to light / spend more time outdoors are more likely to see white and gold

No matter how hard I try I can't see it as anything other that white/very light blue and gold, I've have flawless vision too even for colour tests so fuck off retards trying to claim its anything to do with eyesight

Y'all fuckers forget the basic and rudimentary law that is Schnell's

You can trick yourself into thinking that the blue is a shadowed white, and that the black is gold based on the way the light plays off the collar and belt region.

>take shitty photograph in shitty lighting
>people do something other than criticize the photographer
kys

all of you

kys

just in case you wanted to know why people see white and gold, is has to do with the deterioration of the cones in your eyes.

that's why if you see white and gold, changing the brightness of your screen down to dim allow you to see the blue and black because you're relying more on your cones, rather than your rods

Seeing blue has grey... Check yourself

>it's objectively fucking white
>drop each pixels individually
>yes, the "white" parts are blue

High Testosterone - Black/Blue
Low Testosterone - White/Gold

This is a really good test to detect beta manlets

>look at the picture
>It's white and gold
>scroll down
>scroll back up
>it's blue and black now

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_dress

>Low Testosterone - White/Gold
is this true? fugg ;=:

How can I have low testosterone if I have a 10 inch dick?

the best way to test if you are a low test beta is to twist your nipples

high test men don't have much estrogen, so their nipples aren't sensitive.

Anyone attempting to highlight the RGB values of the colors are fucking up. If you put my white skinned self in a low lit room, took a picture without the flash, and proceeded to take the RGB values of my face, then you'd find out that I'm actually an African American.

Or am I? RGB or any data values that measure the colors present in the image factor the lighting into the color itself, so you can get totally different colors under different lighting scenarios.

In the image, you can see that the dress is blocking off most of the ambient lighting present in the room for the camera. If she were to use an SLR camera with a slow shutter speed and large aperature, then she would've done a better job at capturing the true colors of the dress. Or maybe if she wasn't a fat dumbass and knew that she'd need to use the flash on her phone.

Little story about when this shit was hot off the press:

My ex-girlfriend, who was the salutatorian for my highschool, argued with me that the dress was obviously gold and white. I thought she knew a little bit about how lighting worked, since you learned this stuff in 6th grade and again in 9th. She called me a dumbass, brought my 2.98 HS GPA into it, called me a brainlet, blablabla.

Then the lady came on the Ellen Degeneres show after the drama to confirm the color of it; pic related. I sent my ex this pic with no words. She never talked to me about it ever again, but I knew she loathed me after that.

So how did this all play out? Well, she now owns her own physical therapy practice and makes over $500,000 per year. As for me, I dropped out of college after I couldn't get past trigonometry.

Objectively, the camera used was shit.

What level of ironic sarcasm and slight bait is this?

I think that colorimetric and other discussions about light or cameras are not important here.
The most important thing is how bad that lady judges volumes and complacency properties of fabrics.
She should not be using that dress

The actual dress is black and blue in real life, they got to the bottom of it. If you think it's white and gold it's because your brain doesn't process lighting as it should, you're defective.

I can see the white has a blue tint to it but I don't think ill ever be able to see it as the strong black and blue, eyes are completely fucked.