DNA/RNA Open Source Movement

Has anyone translated the whole human genome DNA/RNA into C programming language yet?

Other urls found in this thread:

folding.stanford.edu/
boinc.bakerlab.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

the program would be useless since DNA is just like an encyclopedia filled with genes that tell ribosomes how to make proteins by sequencing different amino acids. Translating it into C would be like getting a recipe on how to make victoria sponge cake and putting it in a car manual. They are completely different and require different tools, different mechanisms, different parts/ingredients, etc.

You see...that is where the magic really happens. When someone can edit a cake recipe and translate it into a car again.

If no catgirls = 1
make catgirls

Wtf does that mean translate genetic code into DNA ?

I still don't quite understand what you mean. What function would the translated DNA carry out? We can read genes to find the amino acid units used to create a certain protein and use said sequence of peptide units to predict its secondary structure, tertiary structure, etc. Every single human on the planet has a different genome so there isn't really a set-in-stone "human genome". We have translated plenty of human genomes for forensic testing, paternal testing and predicting protein structure.

Simulation value. Writing and editing the encoding and running through a simulation.

it would be fucking pointless.

the dna code is more than just some fucking letters in a text file.

each supposedly letter is a physical object that drives the nano machines that read it.

without ALL parts of the dna and cell we cant do anything.

Perfect. So each letter is a like piece of binary?

I personally know someone who's actually working on shit closely related to this.
But no, and I don't think it's ever gonna happen either. What would even be the use?

>don't think it's ever gonna happen either. What would even

Let me put it this way...

"You can build anything! With Lego~"

Absolutely not, since nobody has the skill to do so, and human computers are lightyears too primitive to express the working of a DNA.

HAHAHAHA laughable. Sometimes people really think too highly of our culture. We aren't that developed really. We are good at transportation and communication.

A "copy" (a limited, digital "sampling") of the original could be written.
To me, the word 'translation" means to move the original, and it is still the original.
Maybe everything we write--in any language--is one of these limited copies (English, C#, Basic, Math).
I've imagined for a long time that everything I write shows who I am. Anyone who cares about what they say can see who people are by what they write, don't write, and what words they use.

Yes and no.
There's a lot of information in the code of DNA, but there's also tons of information in the rest of the chromosome: the methyl side-groups in the DNA backbone, the acetylation of the histone tails which determines how closely the DNA binds to the 'beads,' various associated proteins, the location of the chromosome with respect to the nucleolar wall. "DNA as code" is a useful paradigm, but genetics is entering a new era as we're untangling the epigenetic 'code.' We have to remember that DNA is, after all, a molecule with complex biochemical properties.

Ah, there's the magic words. nobody has the skill to do so~

Oh user. If you only knew what has been brewing behind the scenes...

What if I told you there was a way to cheat God?

Troll ignored.

Brainlet Detected.

Nice counterargument

For you.

You can't really predict gene expression from just the DNA sequence so not sure what the point would be

There is a way to narrow down what genes will be expressed when you apply various constants into your simulation.

Elaborate

Gravity as expressed in nature under varying situations to the decimal, background radiation etc etc
You can make the simulation start at root and express itself over time into elaborate structures. Speeding them up. Slowing them down etc etc.

How does gravity and background radiation predict what genes are expressed?

Gravity is an important aspect of genetic code.
Its almost like a constant that has been embedded into its early formation. From it you can extrapolate many things. This is why the NASA zero grav experiments were so important.

One of the functions of DNA is to encode amino acid chains that are folded into proteins.

Simulating protein folding is extremely computationally expensive.

A distributed computing protein folding network has the same total computational horse power as the worlds most powerful supercomputer. If you want to join there botnet the link is: folding.stanford.edu/

This project is more interested in other surrounding science like miss folding leading to stuff like cancer and alshimer.

If you'd rather donate your watts to knowing how things work when they work properly go with rosetta@home boinc.bakerlab.org/

The key words here being extrapolation.
To capture a moment in time. Then reverse engineering your way back.

>without ALL parts of the dna and cell we cant do anything.

People miss that part -- the DNA code is a marvel and all, but absent the other parts of the cell that work with it, it's just a big honking molecule that sits there. Like a cake recipe -- you need the bowls and mixer and such to make anything happen, and then you need an oven -- none of which appears magically just because you have the recipe "code."

>So each letter is a like piece of binary?

Well, quaternary I guess, there are four letters

Google it

SO IT BEGINS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

But what use are the Lego building instructions absent the Legos?

>Gravity is an important aspect of genetic code.

The fuck did I just read?

Before we continue are people in this thread aware that a DNA sequence doesn't change when gene expression changes

5 if you count RNA, though I'd guess in a computer simulation you could arbitrarily make uracil and thiamine the same letter.

You know, trips, that's what I'm wondering. What signals do different types of tissues have to receive in order to have different methylation patterns and consecutively different protein expression?

Are you referring to the direction of causality here, or did I miss your point? Not OP, just curious to be sure I understand what you are saying.

Here is a chinchilla eating an otter pop (tm) for your trouble.

Methylation is a more stable phenomenon than some other epigenetic modifications, such as histone acetylation. Generally it occurs in the embryonic stage and is mediated by a methyltransferase that is transcribed in response to one of a handful of hormonal signals. In some cases, such as in X- activation, a region on a chromosome can harbor the gene (X-ist in this case) that silences the rest of the chromosome. It's very convenient since the mRNA doesn't have to travel very far at all to reach the target region .

I guess what I mean is DNA isn't a set of instructions telling the cell what to do it is more a reference for the cell of how to do something when it needs to

He most likely means that we've evolved to develop in a gravity well...