Bad at math general

>tfw absolutely don't understand math
>taking pre-algebra in college and not even doing very well on it

Should I just give up and drop out? It's not going to get better, math only gets harder and then you get into calculus, then there's physics and other classes that are just more math.

I'm already 26, because I was in the Army for years before I got out and went to college, so now I'm way behind in everything.

Other urls found in this thread:

nautil.us/issue/17/big-bangs/how-i-rewired-my-brain-to-become-fluent-in-math
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Don't find out what you suck at.

Find out what you excel at.

>Find out what you excel at
Wow, it's fucking nothing.

>>taking pre-algebra in college and not even doing very well on it

How many hours per week outside class do you dedicate to the course?

It may be an early on class but if you need to catch up on a subject you havent done in many many years spending 10-20 hours a week is not unheard of.

If you are committing 10-20 hours, taking advantage of tutoring from your school EVERY SINGLE WEEK, and actively go to your professors office hours at least ONCE A WEEK. If you are doing all this and you still can't perform well, then you might reconsider brushing up on the basics before pre-algebra.

If you are not doing this then it isn't your smarts that are stopping you but rather your motivation, work ethic and effort.

Most jobs will require a knowledge of pre-algebra. And you can fucking do it. There is no such thing as being too much of a brainlet for algebra. Some of us got more experience, had better teachers, used it more consistently so it is easier to pick up. Some have not learned algebra or any math since the age of 16. So yeah, they'll have a harder time filling in old gaps and developing a math sense, but is is definitely doable.

I also work to support myself when I'm not taking classes. The rent won't pay itself.

just punch math with your fists

Then you made a mistake leaving a job that paid you to just show up.

People forget math that they don't use.

If you were 18, right out of high school, and taking pre-algebra, I would tell you straight up that you should admit defeat forever.

But you're not. Maybe you don't suck at math that bad. Just keep trying for a while

>I also work to support myself when I'm not taking classes. The rent won't pay itself.

This is what it takes, school is a full time job. A full schedule ought to be 40 hours including class time if you're doing it right. If you do not have the time to commit the necessary hours and effort then catch up at a slower pace on your own until you either have the time to commit.

In tough college classes it is no where near enough to simply show up and do the homework. You have to actively be teaching yourself on your own time along with your class time.

>taking algebra
>using category theory to understand Hom functor
>doing tensor algebra too
>study hard for 2 weeks
>understand all of the theorems
>get 13/16 points on the midterm for stupid reasons
>guy who studies less got 16/16

Tfw massive brainlet and can't even ace intro category theory

THIS
IF you want to work and go to college at the same time you need an easy degree, like accounting or some shit. There is no good STEM program that would leave you enough time for any kind of job.

What exactly are you having trouble with

If you took a light load and were smart you could hack it.

>I was in the Army
Well there's your problem. I'm convinced that being in the Army destroys a good portion of your brain cells.

I'm not sure if there's any hope for you. Your best bet could be to give up this college stuff and surrender to becoming a brainless Chad. Good luck :)

>pre-algebra in college

Not proud of it

I'm 18 and im a brainlet. The only math I know is, vector calculus, complex analysis (fuck real numbers), nonlinear PDE's, and fourier analysis. I study maths 10 hours a day and I skip brainlet classes to study more. I even do PDE's while im working out and they are always nonlinear because I like a good challenge. I can take on Any of these fucking clowns on this board. Im too good for American schools so im going the übermench route and studying maths and engineering in Deutschland.

Math gets so much easier as you go up. Not even joking, I didn't have to take Pre-Calc (permission to join AP Calc in high school and got AP credit). Pre-Calc is the worst, then Calc II, then anything literally anything else.

The 091 and 092 remedial classes are shit. I don't count them as real math classes, but neither do the people who claim they are math classes, so it ends up being horribly difficult for no reason. Why anyone starting math would need to have any difference between the fucking rings of numbers or whatever you want to call the shit like integers and whole numbers is beyond me.

wait pre-algebra? Not pre-calculus?

Isn't "pre-algebra" everything until you learn algebra? Isn't that like elementary school arithmetic?

Or maybe you mean pre-calc.....
Which I get.
I spent a couple years in the army and started school 2 years ago and I started at pre-calc. It sucked and had found I even forgot how to do division by hand.....
But, as people suggested, I put my balls to the wall and got tutoring and help, and I studied.....
Plus.... My pre-calc teacher sucked dick at teaching and I think he despised teaching pre-calc.
Calc I was significantly easier, Calc II was hard but still pretty easy, so was Calc III and I'm doing differential equations this semester.

I'm majoring in EE so everything I do is math, physics, circuit analysis, math, everything.

Accept that math is an essential part of your life and it's not "just something to learn for the test", it's something to learn for life. So study with intent to never forget.... EVERYTHING.

By the time you finish calc II you should be able to teach pre calc and calc I.

But then again it's not for everyone, it's hard.

How was that helpful or relevant to this discussion?

Assuming anything you said was true it sucks that you'll never know what it's like to get your dick touched.

Hey man, I'm 23 and I failed Calc 1 five times. I finally passed with a C-. Atleast you made some money with your time.

>tfw girl you're dating is way smarter than you

This is "bad at math general," dickhead. Of course they meant pre-algebra.

iktfb

*tips*

Shes doing calculus and going to med school. I'm doing high school math in college

>suck at math
>excel in english

I blame my education system, I was well beyond my peers up until high school when I completly stopped paying attention/ going to class.
Because I had to learn at the retard pace of American education I lost interest in math, I should have been taught atleast to basic algebra and geometry by grade 4, and should have been learning trig, calculus, linear algebra, probability and graph theory in high school.
Now I have to ask for help to understand the strange symbols I see modeling ecological systems, kms. Being gifted, having ADHD and going to school is being doomed to fail.
I'm learning math on my own now, so that's good

No, being "bad at math" could be failing pre-calc.

Failing pre-algebra is literal retard tier. Children under the age of 12 understand pre-algebra. It's a disgrace to not understand it when you're an adult. It's not even like there's a few gifted kids who get it at 12, it's literally everyone.

Last time I took an algebra class was my sophomore year of high school, in 2006.
Now in 2017 I'm taking my first class since. Of course I'm going to be starting from the bottom.

>it's not my fault I bombed rudimentary-ass math it's da systumz fault for not making it interesting for me

nigs gonna nig
Just looking for a handout

this is a common thing, at least from my experience.

How did I not inb4 this

Just keep at it OP. Math gets very different as you go further along, it might be you will start to enjoy it.

>Being gifted, having ADHD and going to school is being doomed to fail.
Someone gifted with ADHD who went to school here. Without any medication I graduated high school with a 3.8 GPA, and right now I'm in college pursuing a degree in applied physics and getting A's in most of my classes.

I don't get the whole PEDMAS shit.

Why wasn't the solution to just always read left to right no mater what and then if you wanna specify something you'd just use brackets for that alone. why the fuck am I suppose to read it like a puzzle and not like how virtually every written language on earth works?

>>taking pre-algebra
Did you meant pre-calc?

If it's pre-algebra, don't touch STEM, just get into another easy science, some trade or useful humanities like English.

You cannot even touch business degrees, I wouldn't want you to be responsable of a company's finance or related, OP.

Not mocking you, but you could excel on otherhings like FP said.

Oh and if someone tells you you don't need math to program, he's bs you hard, like when you believed in santa.

It happens user, don't feel bad..

Nothing wrong with being rusty and our of practice. But you need to stop complaining and put in the work required.
Literally EVERYONE, even english majors need at lest college algebra.
Put in the required work, do the homework, do more homework.
I can get people who don't get or understand calc III or higher, but every single human being should be able to get through calc I and II and grasp the concepts involved.

Because you aren't gifted enough to see your own shit on your knees.

>tfw shit at series calculus

If you really want to do it, you'll do it. People make time for the things that are important to them. I think you gotta just go easy on yourself too. Eventually you'll get into the habit of it and once you get going and stay going you will get much better than you think.

Pretend you're a fat person. Exercise is tough, you can't do it much, and if you're too hard on yourself you'll give up. The more weight you lose, the easier it will be to exercise for longer periods of time and if you really keep at it you'll get hella ripped.

The thing is, it's hard to see progress when the work you're doing is mental work instead of physical work.

>Why wasn't the solution to just always read left to right no mater what
that would be shitty because it would make a lot of common use-cases impossible to write without parentheses
e.g. "my shopping bill: 5 apples x $1 each plus 3 bunches of bananas x $2 each"
try writing that with only left-to-right interpretation, without using parens/brackets

nautil.us/issue/17/big-bangs/how-i-rewired-my-brain-to-become-fluent-in-math

there is hope
believe in neuroplasticity

My arithmetic skills suck ass, how do I proceed ?