Since Trump is cutting domestic agencies to rebuild the military, I'm wondering which is better for science...

Since Trump is cutting domestic agencies to rebuild the military, I'm wondering which is better for science? Defense spending or spending on things like the EPA that are getting cut?

Other urls found in this thread:

travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/renunciation-of-citizenship.html
popularmechanics.com/military/a20134/marines-had-to-scrounge-for-f-a-18-parts-at-a-museum/
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-07/trump-and-u-s-nuclear-power-find-common-ground-in-jobs-push
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Well, it's not quite that simple.

Besides the NSF, agencies like the EPA, the NOAA, etc that are getting cut are the best bang for your buck with regards to science funding. So this will take a lot out of them and really, really sucks. But, those agencies make up only a small fraction of the federal budget, much more of it goes to things like housing and transportation where effectively 0% of it goes to funding any sort of science.

So defense spending is better than social spending, and overall in terms of gross dollar value $54B to the military is probably worth more than, idk haven't looked at the numbers, maybe $5B to actual sciences and $49B to housing and infrastructure. But, this comes at the cost that all the new research funding goes toward defense related activity, while the sciences funding being cut can go to research with merit in many different fields.

>rebuild
what the fuck does this even mean? the US military has never had a period where its been demilitarized and had to "rebuild" anything. It gets more and more funding every fucking year

The US military was pretty badly demoralized after years of Obama's misrule. Some additional defense spending goes a long way to reassuring the military that Trump won't neglect them like Obama did.

>demoralized
oh I see so basically piddly shit that has nothing to do with the notion that it has to "rebuild" which is an equally baseless thing.

How do you measure "demoralization"?

>some additional funding goes a long way
obviously after blowing trillions on a fucking F35 program. The US military is already great and everything up and down.

Defence spending has given us far more useful stuff than the EPA ever did.

>rebuild the military.
The military gets half of our tac dollars already.
The EPA has like a 7billion dollar endowment and has saved far more American life's than the department of defense since its creation.
NOAA keeps fish in the sea the best it can, and monitors the climate.
Both are huge funders for very imporant scientific endeavors.
Anyways these cuts, and the trump administrations science denial and anti-ecosystem policy are detrimental to science and the state of the world, it shouldn't take a genius to figure it out.

Rural midwest here. Unfortunately the EPA is needed more. You remember the temporary shutdown from the congressional budget crisis? Farmers in my dumped everything and made burn piles any time they wanted since the permit officiers were close and enforcement was suspended.

>literally censors government agencies from communicating science/ funding research
>hires oil executives to head the EPA and department of interior.
Things aren't all right.

This desu. I'm genuinely afraid that Trump might do a whole bunch of meaningless shit that will barely be beneficial in the long run. It's got me feeling sorta regretful for voting for him...

he already cucked me out of a job with the hiring freeze.

defense spending is welfare for college dropout alcoholics

Why aren't you worried about his detrimental environmental, science, labour, education, and fiscal policy?
You fell for a meme. That's okay, it happens to all of us sometimes, the faster you realize the better.

You fell for the you fell f=for a meme meme

Wtf I love trump now

Join ICE, they don't care what your bachelors is in so long as you got one.

I'm an ecology Ph.D and research fellow. I've been waking up to panic attacks much more often than usual, starting Nov. 9

I have a friend working in Nasa, and he said some of Trump's men had a meeting with his boss in January, they wanted to arise their budget so Trump can claim being the president that helped putting a man in the mars.

Defense spending is where new technology comes from.

> literally censors government agencies from communicating science/ funding research
Wrong. The only thing that changed is now government agencies are supposed to coordinate their public statements. There's nothing wrong with that, people in the executive branch shouldn't be openly badmouthing the chief executive. It makes us look bad as a nation.

i didn't get an engineering degree to do that shit. government pay is garbo, i only wanted the job because of what i was going to be doing.

>makes us look bad
Typical.
Our constitution looks bad enough as it is. Why on earth would you want an exucutive branch devoid of internal checks and balances, our republic doesn't work James Madison would kill himself if he could see American government today.
Our chief executive being a science denier makes us look bad, I don't consider myself American anymore and am embarrassed I ever did.

> environmental
Trump supports clean air and clean water. EPA has strayed so far from that chasing after their carbon boogieman and it's about time someone put them back to work focusing on the core mission that they were created for.

> science
Obongo cut NASA funding, while Trump is increasing it.

> labour
Trump already saved more jobs even before he took office than Obongo did in his whole 8 years.

> education
US public schools are utter shit, and we finally have someone who recognizes that there is no saving them and that we should start moving to charter schools.

> fiscal
Obongo doubled the debt to 20 trillion, while Trump is proposing a balanced budget.

I'm not here to agrue with you dumb ass

> Our chief executive being a science denier
Trump supports science, it's leftists who deny science by pretending that there isn't a vast difference in racial intelligence or that there's any sort of equality between men and women in terms of intelligence.

>Our chief executive being a science denier makes us look bad, I don't consider myself American anymore and am embarrassed I ever did.

You should make it official.

travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/us-citizenship-laws-policies/renunciation-of-citizenship.html

You wont be missed.

Again not arguing, but
>carbon boogeyman
What did you mean by this?

But I might explain to you tomorrow when I'm not so drunk, with direct quotes and actions from POTUS to detail exactly why the things you've just said are idiotic. We'll see, trying to engage you people is usually too disheartening for me to handle.

Hidden

the EPA is a bunch of shit, i hope they never come back

EPA has been wasting time and money focusing on CO2 instead of focusing on clean air and clean water like they were supposed to. They've been trying to regulate it as if it were pollution when really it's nothing but plant food.

As if Trump needed anyone 'badmouthing' him on public to make him look any more incompetent than he already is.

And besides, the entire executive branch isn't interested in cheap shots anymore. No, it's been constant damage control since the day he took the reins. If you think we look bad now, imagine the state we'd be in if they just gave up.

Unfortunately I'm still subject to the rule of whoever the lowest common demoninator of voters thinks would make a good representative.
So I need to keep my citizenship and stay in the states for pragmatic purposes.

We'll too bad trump wants to gut the clean water act

you goddamn commie scum make me sick, YOU RED COLLECTIVIST FAGGOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No he doesn't. Trump supports clean water.

salt detected

> The EPA has like a 7billion dollar endowment and has saved far more American life's than the department of defense since its creation.
EPA has ruined the lives of far more people than it has saved. This is why you shitlibs lost the midwest, you're completely ignorant of what your bureaucratic drivel is doing to middle America and working Americans.

Your just repeating what he said during the campaign lol.
You haven't been paying any attention to his actions as a governer, have you?
He lied to you, you should have known

Lol, people in my camp don't have representation.
Hillary is a conservative

>How do you measure "demoralization"?

Suicides, dereliction of duties, insubordination, command team instability, consistent mission failures, poor soldier retention rates, etc etc etc

Basically shit that costs them money. Demoralized is an easy blanket term for "We're sucking money down a hole that isn't producing guns, explosions, and canned pure Murricanium. Shit's rolling downhill faster than it's getting buffed out."

A certain base housing a certain unit has had 7 suicides already this year. Good job, fuckers.

commies need to burn

The way carbon was sequestered into the ground by earths living systems is actually ingenious, it's the perfect example of synergetics reducing entropy to maintain order. Too bad earths living systems didn't count on you burning that carbon they so cleverly tucked away, in order to trashpost on a Bengali leather working forum, LOL. The real problem here is biodiversity loss and habitat fragmentation/degradation being worsened by climate change. Reguardless, I am here as an ecologist begging you to abstain from voting

You need to go away.
I'm an a-typical mutualist btw

any delusion that assumes people in any capacity are equal or caring for their outgroup is garbage and needs to be eradicated.
you will only foster social parasites.

They probably realized they signed there life away to defend a lie.
I feel for the troops, I know most of them have the intention of protecting the things that they love, and are oblivious to the machine the are actually serving

Hidden

> Hillary is a conservative
I'm glad you shitlibs think garbage like this. Shrill liar was way too far to the left for middle America to stomach, and if you idiots go even further to the left it will guarantee the dims stay irrelevant for the next century.

Middle America is conservative
The dems don't represent me.
American republicanism will never work

> American republicanism will never work
It can't be worse than the 30 years of liberalism that we've suffered already. 20 trillion in debt, wages stagnant, minorities flooding in across our borders. That's what liberalism gets you.

The air force and navy have literally resorted to looting museums for spare parts.

popularmechanics.com/military/a20134/marines-had-to-scrounge-for-f-a-18-parts-at-a-museum/

And the average infantry units take that poverty to another level.

I don't know why I'm even bothering to do this.

>Trump supports clean air and clean water. EPA has strayed so far from that chasing after their carbon boogieman and it's about time someone put them back to work focusing on the core mission that they were created for.

Is that why he's revitalizing coal and ignoring nuclear? Is that why he did away with the clean water rule?

And what is this 'carbon boogieman' shit you're talking about? Did you actually fall for the 'CO2 is good for plants and so we need more of it' meme?

>Obongo cut NASA funding, while Trump is increasing it.

He has done no such thing yet.

>Trump already saved more jobs even before he took office than Obongo did in his whole 8 years.

Citation needed, but I know you have none because it's bullshit. Trump's been riding on the wave of job growth that's been going on the past couple years, claiming it as his own. It's pretty fucking pathetic but it's even more pathetic for someone to fall for it.

>Obongo doubled the debt to 20 trillion, while Trump is proposing a balanced budget.

Again you're comparing things that Obama has already done with things Trump has said but not done yet. You also don't mention that Obama's reduced deficit spending, something that hasn't happened since Clinton.

I think you need to go back to your brainlet echo-chamber now.

Retard, I'm taking about republicanism as outlined in the US constitution and federalist articles . Nothing to do with partisan politics, idiot

get a load of this booter.

the military has always been like that, its just that now people are seeing how the sausage is made. lower enlisted are fucking animals and degenerates.

> Is that why he's revitalizing coal and ignoring nuclear?
Trump supports nuclear power.
bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-02-07/trump-and-u-s-nuclear-power-find-common-ground-in-jobs-push

Go make the same "Helicopter ride xDDD" and "muh liberuls" arguments in the containment board pls

> repeating the "/pol/ is a containment board" meme
It won't stick no matter how hard you shills try.

The foreign policy that won't be able to be addressed

>he doesn't want idiots shitting up your board
>must be a shill
It's a click away

>implying troops aren't pawns to obtain resources in violent ways
I mean if you're okay with the truth behind what you're doing, no problem. I'm not going to make judgment on whether it's right or wrong.

Modern wars are way too complex to boil down to "obtaining resources".

It's a dangerous job and it doesn't pay well, and it's vital for the function of a nation. So we give them some level of respect otherwise no one would sign up.

There's literally a rule against posting /pol/ shit outside /pol/ just like the same for /b/, and everyone knows /b/ is a containment board.

Define what is "/pol/ shit" and what isn't.

You seem to have little to no experience with members of the US military.

Please, hold your tongue if you don't know what you're saying. There's a certain degree of respect and understanding that I expect from Veeky Forums. This is worse than just saying "nah ur an autist" and then leaving.

>"""""coordinate"""""
>Trump on twitter: Vaccines cause autism!
>CDC to Trump: No.... they don't. Here's a study we ran.
>Trump to CDC: That study is rigged. Run another study.
>CDC: We'll need more funding to rerun the study.
>Trump: You'll get your funding. Just run the study, and don't rig it this time.
>CDC: Alright... we're overbudget for this quarter, but here's our results. Can we publish?
>Trump: No publishing until we coordinate our statements. What's the new study say?
>CDC: It says vaccines don't cause autism.
>Trump: Alright, well I'm going to have my people take a look at this.
>CDC: What about our funding? We're starting to fall behind on grants.
>Trump: Don't worry about the funding.
>Trump on twitter: Global warming is a hoax!

I'll take Things that Never Happened for 200.

>meme
But it literally is.