Is this a good book Veeky Forums?

Is this a good book Veeky Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

people.csail.mit.edu/meyer/mcs.pdf
google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjbwo2jtLrSAhVs4oMKHeNWDr4QFggcMAA&url=http://www2.fiit.stuba.sk/~kvasnicka/Mathematics%20for%20Informatics/Rosen_Discrete_Mathematics_and_Its_Applications_7th_Edition.pdf&usg=AFQjCNH3C7XqwthDQCQm9qa5ta_JQQcMSA&sig2=48_h0BuHQ3a_9BrSqxSCgQ&cad=rja
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pls respond

pls respond

fat

>tfw no belly gf

I hate it when they say "Applications" but really mean "interesting corollaries".

Stupid fucking nigger mathematicians. To any normal person APPLICATION means "Okay, so enough theory; tell me how I make money with this?"

>I hate it when they say "Applications" but really mean "interesting corollaries".
oh this is what they mean, i was going to tell op to ignore every book on applied math but this sounds like good news

Well good for your hobby then.

Bad for a MAN who tries to make a living for HIS WIFE and HIS KIDS and also FOR HIS SOCIETY.

But do indeed delve in your hobbies and close your eyes.

>Bad for a MAN who tries to make a living for HIS WIFE and HIS KIDS and also FOR HIS SOCIETY.
don't you get tired of posting the same shit in multiple threads?

Everyone here posts same kind of messages every day with just slightly cosmetic variations.

Basically the meaning of your post is just "I insult you as my counterargument". There are millions of variations how you can type that identical post but the meaning stays same.

For fairness, my post's meaning is just

"advanced math is not useful in real life"

Yeah, it's a good companion to CLRS

No.

So you dont. Ok, have fun i guess

How constructive of you.
"Oh you disagree with me? Then we won't discuss."
Sure is gonna take you far in life treating.

These lists only serve to reinforce the "can't see the forest from the trees" -thoughtcrime.

For brainlets, what I mean is that reading pile of books hastily is less useful than focusing intensively and mastering just few concepts at a time.

I don't have any interest in arguiung with you, I don't care about what you think and I don't care about you. If you want to keep posting the same over and over again it's not my problem.

Free MIT book
people.csail.mit.edu/meyer/mcs.pdf

I see. I'm sure your conclusion was reached with solid amount of data and logic, and not just emotional outburst.

I think so but only because I got it for 2 euro.

no it's the old edition

>baby math

>ego
>arrogance

Not gonna make it.

Here is my opinion on it. The book is really only good if you are taking it whilst being lectured on the subject; as in, it reads kind of like a encyclopedia more than anything.

If you are self studying then I would take this advice; however, if you just want to get a primer on the subject then you should read Epp's textbook (Maybe your a C.S. major and going for a more applied approach and don't want rigor up the ass).

If you are a math major or interested in TCS then I recommend what the poster here said,

It's decent, I'm taking Descrete Math right now using that very book.

How can anyone be retarded enough to post this?
>bro just read 10 books instead of 1 that'll be much better

Epp is good to start with. Work through those exercises. Rosen is a good follow up to epp. Do those exercises next. Then you'll begin to start knowing real math and begin a wonderful journey of mathematics and computer science

Yes, OP, it's a good book. It was recommended to me before and I enjoyed it. It has many good practice exercises (complete with answers to every odd-numbered exercise). It's also written and organized like many modern mathematics textbooks, so it should feel familiar to you. Stewart's Calculus comes to mind, although Rosen is more rigorous and isn't afraid to introduce more challenging concepts.

I've come to find that posters on Veeky Forums can be too picky when it comes to textbooks. Anons like mean well, but fail to realize that you're probably looking for efficiency rather than rigor in trying to learn the topics in discrete math.

Epp's textbook isn't as good as Rosen's. They are similar, but I found Epp's text to be *too* similar to Stewart. It also only gives answers to a fraction of the exercises.

tl;dr it's a good book, OP. If you're still insecure just try it out: google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjbwo2jtLrSAhVs4oMKHeNWDr4QFggcMAA&url=http://www2.fiit.stuba.sk/~kvasnicka/Mathematics%20for%20Informatics/Rosen_Discrete_Mathematics_and_Its_Applications_7th_Edition.pdf&usg=AFQjCNH3C7XqwthDQCQm9qa5ta_JQQcMSA&sig2=48_h0BuHQ3a_9BrSqxSCgQ&cad=rja

Curious what makes epp not good as Rosen? I am about 200 some pages into epp. I dislike how there aren't solutions to some of the more challenging problems in the book or as many solutions in general as I'd like. I just found Rosen and plan to go through it as I read the same sections from epp. My goal is to do exercises out of both

Well the fact that Rosen's text provides more solutions and more exercises is a big factor in choosing him over Epp.

The writing is also very different. Both are somewhat wordy, as they try to be accessible to non-mathematicians by providing intuitive examples and descriptions. But Rosen's paragraphs and sections are more terse than Epp's, and the writing is more organized as a result.

If you're 200 pages into Epp, just finish Chapter 4 and open Rosen to chapter 2. Skip any sections in that chapter that seem too familiar. Everything in chapter 3 and beyond will be new material that Epp did not yet cover for you.

Currently using this textbook in my discrete maths class. I like it personally. Also I love reading the mathematician bios they have in each section.

Great thank you for your excellent reply! Will follow this advice

>imagination is too hard, please spoon feed me
Fuck off brainlet

saving epic thread

someone's never spent time in a top math department i see

Wouldn't want if it means sinking to the level of those who value such vices.

fair enough. can't say it's very pleasant.

you cared enough to respond to him multiple times user

The egotistical motherfuckers usually get hit the hardest, desu. If you get far enough in Math, you will get fucked really hard and the amount of times you get fucked hard makes you a better Mathematician, but it also makes you more humble.

>discrete math
>applications
heheheheh

Cs

Are you telling me Graph Theory has no applications?