Starshot

Why are they aiming straight at Alpha Centauri when we still know so little about most of the solar system?

Well the hope is that there are aliens out there who might want to contact us. If there was intelligent life in our solar system, we'd have known by now.

Why the hell are idiots so crazy about contacting aliens?

We have more than enough problems with humans.

Understanding how life can form in another places can help us in our own place. I think this might be the best answer.
Also, all the planets in our system so far are not habitable at all. The only place of interest maybe Mars to put a fucking telescopy and Europa to try to find something under all that ice.

Because if you want to win in a RTS you need to scout.

>why do X when Y is still undone 100%?

Because someone else with more interest in Y is doing Y and people with interest in X are doing X instead. That is how society was created. Division of labor and skills.

It's an important unanswered question in science. New forms of biology opens up a whole new world of possibilities.

so we could colonize them

We can still find life in the solar system.

Trying to go to other solar systems should come after we learn more about gas giants and their moons, Kuiper Belt and the possible hidden planet.

Screaming "we are here, look at us" knowing human history is just suicidal autism.

They would obviously test it in solar system first.
Do you think they are going to wait 20 years just to realize that none of the probes work?
After sending them there they may as well send them anywhere.

>Screaming "we are here, look at us" knowing human history is just suicidal

Underrated concept. It seems pretty clear hat whether the intentions of the more advanced party are benign or malign, it does not wok out well for the less advanced.

We can scream all we want but if they stay silent on purpose for that reason we will never find them.
It is possible aliens already heard us but don't want to respond because fuck knows if we are hungry for their resources.

With modern technology we would barely hear a civilization on our level if it existed in Alpha Centauri and nowhere else. And even that is debatable.

If they are 100 light years from us their tech level would need to be many times better to hear us.

Because we can do science at multiple destinations at once

Because with starshot, we could learn about our solar system faster. We could send a probe to mars in about the time it takes to deliver a pizza. This has the additional bonus of providing a means to generate seismic events.

Because we can't experiment and up our tech level with subhumans anymore since its racist :^((

So we have to find some space injuns and space africans to genocide, conquer, and colonize

news of foreign life will most likely BTFO all religions (ppl will start enrolling in college etc from their african huts etc) in its tracks and create a MASSIVE UN

I feel like everyone talking about how advanced aliens would just come in and assrape us are coming at it from a skewed viewpoint- they're assuming they too, would act like humans.

They're aliens. What if they act completely different? Obviously, evolution and the concept of survival of the fittest seems to be a pretty decent constant to assume, but still. They could be benevolent as shit, because they evolved by putting points into charisma instead of violence after a certain point.

if ayy lmaos exist, it justifies killing all the bottom poorfags now rather than later in order to ascend to their level.

We need an adult

im so sick of tar-pissed brainlets shitting up my bord. like get a life you brainlet! go to school and learn some astrophisics like me fucking brainlats. "tarppist is the future" my ass

>Not wanting to mate with another biological creature from another planet.

I don't know, why set sail for Africa when we know so little about Europe?

underrated comment, you always need to scout to aid development and ping for rushers.

it's likely that there are other humans out there in the galaxy, it's insane to assume that aliens would look different from us or that life on other planets that can support it would develop in a different way.

We must hold the neutral assumption that all alien life looks, acts and thinks exactly like our life does. Which means that aggressive expansionary humans are out there, and they will only respect strength, they will have developed their own diseases and germs and similar weapon technology.

This assumption is held until it can be negated by burden of evidence, It's the only coherent and logical position for military leaders and scientists to take. This is why we do exoplanet searches in goldilocks zones, we focus on the closest stars, and we are building a massive wall of debris in near and far earth orbit.

I expect over the next 1000 years we will build a shell around our planet to better utilize sunlight coming it and control what type of signals we leak out, camouflage is the best weapon against the unknown. By then we should have probes on the way towards the dozen closest systems and faster probes catching up to them to refuel, and maybe even enough stations and off-world bases to detect intrusions into our space by alien probes.

The real turning point in humanity will be when we stop dying (at our current pace maybe the first immortal has already been born). At this point individual humans will be able to amass a large amount of knowledge over many hundreds of years and assisted by pattern matching machines can make breakthroughs otherwise missed by collective generations.

Factoring all these details in means that even a 700 year gap between us and an alien civilization will leave them completely invisible to us and potentially far more dangerous, just like how 5 well supplied platoons of 2017 US soldiers could decimate both the Crusader and the Caliphate Armies of the Middle Ages. 250 men vs 250,000.

They need a lot of power.
What can we do with always available 1GW?

>implying the news would be released

It would leak sooner or later.

>5 well supplied platoons of 2017 US soldiers could decimate both the Crusader and the Caliphate Armies of the Middle Ages. 250 men vs 250,000.
I wish there was an arma mod for that

You need to know where to aim the RKVs

>they too, would act like humans.
>an assumption
There is this wonderful invention called "game theory". Let's just say that it's extremely unlikely a pacifist species could emerge as the apex predator in its environment.

More like a cum shot am I right guys haahah