Lets talk about words and their meanings. Particulary words that don't 'feel' right. For example...

Lets talk about words and their meanings. Particulary words that don't 'feel' right. For example, I don't feel good about the following words
>livid
Sounds like a happy word, too similar to 'vivid', yet describes the opposite
>refulgent
Sounds like something disgusting and fetid, yet again, means the exact opposite
>terrific/terrifying
Who in the fuck thought its a great idea?

If you had any kind of classical education, these words would 'mean' and 'sound' exactly as they do.

> livid
Means 'blue' or 'envious', much like English 'green' means 'envious', became 'angry'

> refulgent
Literally means 'shining again'.

> Terrific
terror + ficio = literally 'making terror', became something like 'awesome' (thing full of awe), became a form of 'good'.

PS.

There's an interesting word, 'hellish', which is going through the same process as 'terrific', but it's happening right now. Obviously, 'hellish' meant 'like Hell', but it's not acquiring the meaning of 'very good'.

I disagree. Livid brings out intense bleakness; refulgent, as long as you know its meaning, is easy to feel as sparkling up

I call for a Language Reform

i think you mean 'hella'

>condone

This word was always weird to me. It means you approve of a behavior. But the word just sounds so negative.

is because condom has negative shape of penis in its most-approving form

No, that's American, meaning something like 'much'.

'Hellish' is British.

>homely
>comely
>opposite meanings
>don't rhyme
Why

> homely
> like a home

> comely
> beautiful

'Opposite'?

Homely means plain and wifely when applied to women rather than attractive.

Most Latinisms in the English language sound awful

Two words that confuse me are

Ingenuous

Ingenuity

Why aren't the verbs "envelop" and "develop" antonymous

>If you had any kind of classical education, these words would 'mean' and 'sound' exactly as they do.
Words can evoke feelings beyond their immediate meaning. You know this and should appreciate it. Being familiar with the etymology of a word only makes it more meaningful to you, it doesn't at all detract from the emotion.

con done

done con

con vict, con artist, con spire,

Turgid, torpid, and turbid always give me a headache. My vocabulary is really quite good, too. It's just those three words that I have not been able to sort out for years, try as I might. I suppose "turbid" comes from Latin "turbidus," but turbidus means stormy, not murky, so that's not terribly helpful.

turbid mostly comes to us from the geological term turbidity so you can see the parallel between a current causing a storm of rock and abrasion making waters "murky"

it's the active vs the being acted upon that I think is confusing, a stream is turgid in this sense and it unyielding nature causes abrasion resulting in turbid currents [a misnomer since it is the dipolar nature of water that causes the abrasion]

and torpid I think gets drawn in from the analogy though which torpedos were named, the stunning creatures making their home in water only a coincidence

honestly I never even drew the parallel between all three words until now

or a turbine, which honestly, is the first time I've connected turbine with turbidity loll

"Sublime" always sounded like a negative word to me because it sounds like slime

I disagree