Oh boy an interstellar thread

>oh boy an interstellar thread
Just saw the movie and have a couple questions.
>why would they even consider settling in a system with a local black hole as the "star"?
>how is it producing light and heat to make the planets habitable?

And what was up with the ice planet, why were they saying it had no surface?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole#Innermost_stable_circular_orbit_.28ISCO.29
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You should watch Prometheus next if you are feeling suicidal.

That didn't answer anything. Going to watch logan tomorrow, though.

I think they answer this in the movie, you should pay attention more lol
But I guess the "why a blackhole" problem is simply because there was no other option, since earth was fucked up and light-speed still don't existing in the movie.
The "producing light and heat" is a mistery to me too, but I think that the accretion disc of the blackhole makes sufficient to light it up and make the planets heat, even if they're cold, like that planet where is Matt Damon.

When they talked about sending the robot into the black hole to collect data how would they even try to collect it?

This is a thing that I think it's just mean to not be scientific accurate, like, poetic license. Just so the move can have more scenes, drama and the plot go on.

They tried to have the robot send info back to earth but the moment the robot crossed the event horizon they immediately lost connection and no information came out

Interstellar 2 when?

never hopefully.

Movie was shit. In case you forgot:
>LOVE is the ONLY force that goes through DIMENSIONS :)

The film is a massive pile of feces.

The guy who wrote it said that they're already doing it, or some shit like it.

>>why would they even consider settling in a system with a local black hole as the "star"?
Why not? Because black holes are spooky?

>>how is it producing light and heat to make the planets habitable?
The plasma disk around the black hole produced the same radiation as a sun.

The answer is don't think about it because the movie's 'science' aspect was cringy and shit tier.

The only thing they did well was modelling that black hole.

This is now a Cringe Movies thread

>says this
>doesnt post a cringe movie

you must be of 18 years of age or older to post in this site.

The real question is, why did they need the big expendable rocket to get the Ranger craft into orbit to meet up with the Endurance?

That spaceplane is shown to be easily capable of launching from a planet with much stronger gravity and thus a higher escape velocity than Earth with lots of fuel to spare.

Also saying it was to conserve fuel is not allowed, because they also had those cargo spaceplane shuttles that could have brought up as many fuel tanks as they could have wanted and made the deltaV budget of the mission much larger.

If they really wanted to keep a big expandable rocket launch as part of the movie they should have had it launch the last chunk of the Endurance or some other module too large for the shuttles to carry.

Essentially, no one uses their brains in the entire movie. Don't tell me they couldn't build sealed habitats on Earth and feed people artificially produced protein goo like in the Matrix to keep the human race alive even if that implausible blight shit made the outside surface uninhabitable somehow.

>Melodrama in space setting
>m-muh science! xD
xD

BRAVO
NOLAN

I presume the accretion disk is emitting all the light and heat...here's the "offical" description:

>Gargantua is a very massive (100 million solar masses), rapidly spinning black hole. It is orbited by the planets Miller and Mann, as well as an unnamed neutron star. A main sequence star, Pantagruel, was located within a year's flight of Gargantua along with the habitable planet Edmunds. Gargantua is within a several week spaceflight of the Wormhole.

A black hole that size would create a disk generating sufficient light and heat, but this doesn't explain why TARS and Cooper aren't incinerated before they even reach its Event Horizon, same as if you flew into the sun...guess they flew around the disk, but then you get into major issues with tidal forces ripping your ass apart as the black hole's gravity tries to force you back into it.

>why would they even consider settling in a system with a local black hole as the "star"?

Had no choice...that part sort of makes sense. The "wormhole" exited into this system alone.

No clue what a "wormhole" is, outside of an abstract scientific theory, though...

>And what was up with the ice planet, why were they saying it had no surface?

It had frozen clouds, instead.

But they were just making shit up at this point.

I have a question about the whole time dilation thing.

So lets say that the dad is on the water planet and his daughter is on the farm.

Both take a step at the same time (just like a hypothetical for the question).

Uniformly there both going to be in tandem with each right? Is it going to take the dad 5 seconds to take that step instead of 1 second? I don't get it.

If they both take a step at exact same time and say it takes both of them 1 second to take one step.

If they both step at the same time 1 second will have passed for both of them.

But why would the daughter have had 5 seconds passed?

basically progressive propaganda

Except it wasn't literally a force, the only person saying that was the chick who was wrong
I hate this meme
It was the future humans or whatever that went out of their way to help mcconaughey
The movie had plenty of issues but this was not one of them

>at the same time
One of the most fundamental consequences of relativity is that simultaneity is impossible to define for different reference frames.

Question 1: How do 'they' (presumably future Coop and Hathaway - who have survived on Miller's planet after the events of the film) open up the wormhole in the first place? Because, in order to do so, they would have had to survive in the first place, travel through the wormhole yaddah yaddah yaddah

Question 2: How the f did they both escape the black hole at the end?

Another thing: why aren't the orbiting planets simply being devoured by the smbh? Surely it's gravitational pull is too strong for those planets to orbit (in the movie, it looks as though the planets are relatively close to the smbh)?

Another another thing: why did Mann hijack the ship when Coop was going to fly back to Earth anyway? Was it really necessary for him to leave the others stranded?

Yes, it's possible to orbit a black hole. You're not sucked at once like a vacuum cleaner, dumbass, we're in 3D
Play Sandbox Universe

Hey "dumbass," that smbh is 100 million times as massive as our sun (so I read) and they flew to it from Mann's planet in a few minutes - yes, the planet shouldn't even be there.

They just did, everything after Coop hits the black hole is pure fantasy

how is it humanly possible to transmit any sort of meaningful data through the ticking watch?
Even typing out a simple sentence in binary would probably take several hours if not longer, and it appeared that murph transcribed it by hand

The whole point of the movie was to stop fucking earths shit up, we only have one

Meanwhile all these smartasses in this thread:
>muh science fallacies hurr durr

>stop fucking the earth

By trading co2 quotas? Please.

ever heard of morse code?

>>why would they even consider settling in a system with a local black hole as the "star"?
it was close enough. I suppose, with space distances, you take what you can get. This is why people discuss colonizing mars, even though it is far less habitable than many places on earth that we don't consider worthwhile to colonize

It would have to be a binary. The second star would produce light, as well as providing mass for the black hole to accrete and fuse(also producing light)

Go faster. You can orbit anything if you go fast enough.

The only places that stable orbits are impossible are where in order to remain in orbit you'd have to go faster than the speed of light, which is the event horizon of a black hole.

Our solar system is currently orbiting the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy, if we look towards that black hole with telescopes we can see stars in close orbits passing within a few thousand astronomical units of the black hole.

Also, supermassive black holes can easily be larger than our entire solar system, so even though it may have seemed like they were extremely close to the black hole, in reality they could have been many thousands of billions of kilometers away.

>then you get into major issues with tidal forces ripping your ass apart as the black hole's gravity tries to force you back into it.
for a sufficiently massive black hole you wouldn't feel any tidal forces when crossing the event horizon. You could even pass into the black hole without realizing it.

The precise reason is because the Schwartzchild radius scales linearly with mass, but gravity falls off quadratically as a function of radius. So gravity at the event horizon scales down linearly with black hole mass.

When Murph translated the morse code from the watch, how did she know where to begin from? Assuming it's on a repeat cycle. Bit of a lol question, I know.

You mean to say that the black hole was pulling in their spaceship so fast that it only took a few minutes? I suppose I can accept that.

And I thought the largest smbh was 40 million solar masses - turns out to be 40 BILLION.

Morse code has gaps between characters so it isn't like a bit stream where a single bit shift can make the message undecodable. It would just be like if you started reading a book but skip the preface

>Go faster. You can orbit anything if you go fast enough.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_hole#Innermost_stable_circular_orbit_.28ISCO.29

Why does that old guy play the same role in every Nolan?

bump

fucking kek literally just finished watching this with my girlfriend. Depressed as fuck. Good movie. Obviously not 100% accurate but they clearly tried more than that POS gravity.

so does the dad age at the same rate he would on earth? Like 20 years he'd obviously look 20 years old, or would he look 4 years older?

From his perspective his rate of aging does not change. From the perspective of a person on Earth, the guy would appear to be moving in super slow motion, you get what I'm saying?

God passengers was so retarded. (spoilers)
>healthcare pod needs elevated permissions to resuscitate a dead person (this part wasn't really important for the plot, but come on)
>hibernating people requires elevated permissions too
>only a single healthcare pod on gorillion dollar ship with otherwise ridiculous redundancy carrying 5000 people
>healthcare pod can put people into hibernation, but the fucking hibernation pods themselves can only keep people hibernated
>ship stops rotating when the power goes out
>processors failing everywhere, even in fucking autonomous cleaning drones, because they were "overloaded", because the ship's reactor was damaged (and they weren't overloaded electrically, they were overloaded as in max CPU usage)
>technician with a million different tools can't get through some sealed door in an entire year
>crew compartment is secured with a fucking indestructible door for some reason
>protagonist is a fucking creep and basically a huge abuser, but it is a love story for some reason

>: How do 'they' (presumably future Coop and Hathaway - who have survived on Miller's planet after the events of the film) open up the wormhole in the first place?
It wasn't Cooper and Hathoway that opened the wormhole it was implied to be humans from the far future.

LOVE
IT's THE ONLY THING THAT CAN TRANSCEND THYME AND SPESS

WE NEED TO GO INTO THE BLACK HOLE SO I CAN SEND MESSAGES BACK IN TIME USING LOVE!!!

THE ANSWER IS LOVE!!!

1 (one) second is passing for each of them, but the time dilation comes from high-speed travel across large distances

Logan was really good. I shed a tear at the end.

Are you looking for scientific answer from an unscientific movie? Do you do this with all the fantasy movies you watch?