Reading Faster

I Have started to read War and Peace, but I am so slow at reading. At this rate I will read it in no less than two months. Any advice on how to read faster or on that speedreading thing?

get the audiobook and listen to it while you sleep
your subconscious will absorb the words even while you're asleep, don't worry.

why the fuck do you care about how fast it takes to read it if you like the book

There are other books to read too.

we have this thread everyday

here is a tip: it doesn't matter how fast you read.. just matters if you like reading.

if you don't like the book or are completely unmotivated - don't read it, find something else that you enjoy reading... and if you don't enjoy reading... why the fuck are you on the literature board?

So what? This mentality will just kill your passion and your understanding of books, you will always want to move on the next one. Reading books is not a fucking race.

Its fine that it will take you that long. In that era, books were generally seen as long projects, and generally released serially.

Take it easy, you'll take it in better too no doubt.

Try to be more persistent on your reading.

My speed for reading in English is around 20-30 pages per hour. Despite that, I keep on reading during various sessions throughout the day, even reaching 120 or so pages per day.

And try to push yourself through increasing boundaries. Read 60 pages in one day, then 80, 100, 120, 140 and so on, until you find a number that you're comfortable with.

Do you even enjoy reading, fag?
>Yes
Then what does it matter how long it takes. Do you complain that a delicious cake takes too much time to eat?
>No
Then why are you reading

Train memory recall and comprehension. Speed will follow
Going for speed first will fuck you up

>taking the path of least resistance
Disgusting

I generally read at a reasonable speed but reading War & Peace felt like swimming in mud

Maybe try a different book

How do you train memory recall and comprehension?

>Any advice on how to read faster
Train yourself to stop subvocalizing. I could marathon War and Peace in 2 days without subvocalizing. I read a standard sized novel a day, maybe 90 typical pager/hour.

Why would you waste your time speedreading a classic like this? I get it if you had to finish it for a class or something, but you should really take your time and enjoy it. Any great book requires several passes to get anything useful out of it. Why not just read the wikipedia page if you're not going to engage fully with the text?

How does one "engage fully" in a text, in your opinion?

user has a book report due for his college class.

>I could marathon War and Peace in 2 days
and how much would you retain?

Not the other guy, but it's not rocket science:

Within your mind, you should fully form the universe that the characters are interacting in. See their actions, see their speeches, see their clothing and description and so on. And if it's not just narrative, try to understand philosophical sections and how they apply to the characters.

But, more importantly, do this via the guide of the author/narrator. by following the rhythms inherent in the prose.

>Read a small text
>Write it down
>Compare
>Repeat with different texts, moving on to larger and larger volumes of text as you improve
Really nice to practice this with law or scripture.

>how do i read faster
>just read more lol

Good one senpai.

90%. Ask me anything in 2 days if this thread is still up.

Read for longer stretches. You should devote at least 15-30 minutes per day per hundred pages. If you're reading a 1200 page book, a good amount of time to spend is 3-6 hours.

Shit joke 3/10
OP, you're supposed to take thirty minutes on every page analysing every single sentence the author threw in to make sure you don't miss anything, trust me.

OK, that's obvious. He seemed to believe something extra was necessary, as in, reading texts multiple times. I've met people who think you must read with highlighters or make notes in the margins. I've met people who make plot and character maps.

That's why I'm asking. "Visualizing" and following the prose is pretty much as basic as it gets, and a good number of people think it's the bare minimum, not "engaging fully."