Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums.

I have a slot for one math course next term, my options are: "Complex Analysis" or "Fourier Methods". I was wondering, which one would allow me to understand more concepts in phsyics?

Also, if someone understands both of them, which do you like more? I'm not a physics major btw I'm in an unrelated engineering, so I would be taking either just for fun.

Bump for interest.

My guess is complex analysis cause everything Fourier can be learned in a weekend.

Complex analysis will probably be better as it gets you to the exponential wave form, fourier methods is mainly to solve partial differential equations

What is unrelated engineering?

If its anything electrical then Fourier for sure.

i vote for complex

Geotechnical, I think in america I would be a civil student.

I believe in you OP! You can do both!

Both are important. It depends on what you specialize in.

go for complex phal

depends on where you are from, people from certain places can be very uncivil

Complex analysis

You get to solve retardedly-difficult-looking integrals when they really aren't. Perfect if you're a fucking autist like Ron Gordon, which I assume you are since you're on Veeky Forums.

(also, 300k startin')

sauce OP

Some girl in the bussiness program at my school.

She's not as pretty in other pictures.

Fourier analysis can be understood from complex analysis, it depends on why you want to learn it. If you want to learn about some nifty maths stuff, take complex. If youre going to do something with physics, take Fourier analysis.

>My guess is complex analysis cause everything Fourier can be learned in a weekend.
Google Translate: I am in a shit school and I know the definition of the Fourier transform.

I agree with this fellow, why not try both?

compurexu anarasisu

Complex analysis.

Fourier is boring.

>which one would allow me to understand more concepts in phsyics?

Fourier.

Don't listen to the mathfags.

Complex analysis is harder and it'll take longer until you see where it's being used in physics. Fourier is more intuitive and has immediate applications.

As people mentioned, fourier methods will help you with differential equations and are quite important in more advanced physics courses, especially QM where I would say they have quite an important role.

However, I'd say go for complex analysis. It really is beautiful mathematics, much more so than fourier analysis. Also helps you understanding many potential functions in electromagnetism ( since they are harmonic).

So they both help you with physics quite a bit, depending on what parts of physics you want to study. Complex analysis is just much more interesting and pretty.

post feet pics

also take complex analysis it's a beautiful course!