Krasznahorkai

I got this from my girlfriend a few days ago, wanna start it soon. What's your opinion about this, lit? Also Krasznahorkai in general.

>tfw I am Hungarian so I can enjoy Krasznahorkai's prose in its original language

post your girlfriends tits

I've read Satantango (in English). Pretty good, but not for people who like stories to have a direction or purpose. It's just about lost people aimlessly doing pointless things, and the prose glorying in their misery.

I'm guessing the rest of Krasznahorkai is like that.

>from my girlfriend

rrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Tell a pleb what translation you read please. I like to read it before i kill myself.

Hát mit mondjak..olvasd el
Kek

Why is Hungary so literary?

I think there's only one English translation, and it's by George Szirtes. That's the one I read anyway.

They're Hungary for new talent I guess. They are known to be a country of Hung Aryans.

it's one of my favourite books in english and i'm immensely jealous of you

Nah, it isn't. You just get the best of it. You don't see the homongous pile of shit, that is state of hungarian literature.

How can you even ask such a thing?

We built the first pyramids, we invented the ballpoint pen, the helicopter and everything else and we used the power of Tengri to move the stones to build Rome.

You'd think literature will be the one thing we could not master?

I've only read Satantango but I loved the bleak descriptions of the village and how utterly hopeless and empty life seemed there, the message also reminded me of 1984 a little, people just ended up putting up with the system rather than trying to fight it , take control and change it to their own whims. I consider it a much darker version of Orwell's novel.

Can we make this a Hungarian literature general? Anything you'd recommend for someone who has enjoyed Karinthy, Szerb, Krasznahorkai, and Kosztolanyi?

Krúdy

I started a few pages into Satantango a couple weeks back...coming off of 2666 I think that was a bad choice.

Switched to some easier comfy reading...currently tackling Oe's A Personal Matter...not too bad thus far. It's a shame Kenzaburo Oe isn't discussed here more often.

Anyways, it's a nice break from dense reading for grad school econ...

Try Déry, there is something from him in the NYRB catalog.

where should start with Krasznahorkai?

Very nice, OP. I am reading Melancholy of Resistance now, and it's dense but very rewarding.

Does the Hungarian language uses long periods by norm, or is it part of Krasznahorkai's style? Is it an agglutinative language like German?

Satantango
Then watch the film which is even better

thanks.

Yeah, Hungarian is an agglutinative language, but the the long, loooooooong sentences of Krasznahorkai are nothing to do with this. So yeah, it's a part of his style, senpai.