Did you know that an ytterbium crystal does not simply exist in our silly three-dimensional world...

Did you know that an ytterbium crystal does not simply exist in our silly three-dimensional world, but in a fourth dimension as well? Of course you didnt, you silly human.

google.com/amp/www.popularmechanics.com/science/amp24957/time-crystals/

Other urls found in this thread:

popularmechanics.com/science/amp24957/time-crystals/
news.berkeley.edu/2017/01/26/scientists-unveil-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-time_crystal
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

popularmechanics.com/science/amp24957/time-crystals/

news.berkeley.edu/2017/01/26/scientists-unveil-new-form-of-matter-time-crystals/

Never heard of this until today, but it is interesting. Is there any practical application for this?

Its is non-equilibrium matter. It represents an entire new class of materials.

Here is the phase diagram.

It really depends if this is repeatable and not just misreading of results and such.

If it is real, then what happens if you add energy to it? Well, there's a shit load of questions that need answering before anyone would really know what this could be used for ultimately. Just tossing out "might be good for quantum computing!" is premature.

The experiement was first performed at UC Berkley, and it was then succesfully repeated at MIT. Thats only two tests, but the two positive results are promising indicators that this is a legitimate result.

Will this let us time travel through time?

>tfw i have to align the ytterbium crystal matrix in my warp core

No. I'm betting it doesn't let us do anything.

Humanity defies the conservation of energy and creates a crystal that will out last the heat death of the universe.

>probably nothing.

Why? You did not explain your response in any way.

which dimension are we calling time?

The imaginary one

Can someone give me a quick rundown?

Ohh cool, like star warz

ayylmaos are jelly af about this tech

Can it make bigger bombs?

Legit question. If it can't it's useless.

>perpetual motion vibrators

Bout time.

how can it vibrate without using any energy? Doesn't that violate some law of physics or something?

Also how do you even go about placing 10 single ions accurately in a certain pattern and then hitting them with a laser? The scale of that shit baffles me, what sort of instruments enable them to manipulate single atoms and keep them in place?

There is an unknown mechanic at play as to why. Like a underwater sauna jet ripples the water at the surface, we are seeing the rippling but have no clue what the source is.

It doesn't violate anything as long as you can't extract infinite WORK from the system. Something can be in perpetual motion but starts deteriorating if you interact with it(orbit), or something can just be in motion in a way that no work can be extracted from it(vacuum fluctuation).

perpetuum mobile will happen within our lifetimes
shut up ass hole

Isn't this a demonstration of zero point energy?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space-time_crystal

Yes it is related.

Molecular perpetual motion machine?

>add magnets to it
>extract energy

>start using this to extract energy from the 4th dimension
>unknowingly cause an instability that is noticed by 4th dimensional higher beings
>they become upset at us recklessly using this technology and destroying their extra dimensional habitat
>use their super advanced weaponry to vaporize all of humanity

Kyoma leave

Quantum computing here we come

>Humanity defies the conservation of energy
What is reading comprehension

I hope they come up with a better name. "Time crystals" sound like a low-budget sci-fi film plot element.

have you read the gods themselves?