What's it like working as a Mechanical Engineer, why do I think it will actually pretty shitty...

What's it like working as a Mechanical Engineer, why do I think it will actually pretty shitty? Makes me want to just go into Accounting

bumpity

Some days you do mechanical.
Some days you do engineering.

Some days you may have to do both.

i'll let you know when i can actually get a job with my mechanical engineering degree.

How long have you been out of school?

what the hell does that mean

My dad has a mech E degree. Hated it and ended up in sales lol.

6 months. but i've been applying since the start of senior year. 233 applications in just the federal sector alone. another 200+ in private industry.

3.1 GPA, but i have 3 good internships under my belt and tons of applicable work experience from a previous job (i did trades for a while). i'm working at home depot right now just as something to tread water while i wait.

i seriously don't know what the fuck i'm doing wrong.

Did he explain why he didn't like it? That's what I fear that'll do 4-5 years studying way harder then I would as a Business/Accounting major just to end up in a toxic working environment that I hate

What school did you go to?

CU Boulder

Plus I know my envisioned job will be nothing like my actual job. I picture myself working on next gen high tech mechanical technology type shit when in reality I'll be working a corporate office setting, sitting in front of a computer, doing paper work and meetings, designing a fucking dishwasher

It's not MIT but seems good enough to score a job. I wonder what the issue is. You have any debt?

>He fell for the engineering meme

Should have pursued your dream job in physics and rake that sweet grant money in academia, kiddo

You mostly just design things, show them to your boss for approval, prototype things, and come up with solutions to problems that arise from other people fucking up your instructions.

Well I worked for a year as a mechanical design engineer.

Day to day involved lots of CAD work. You have to be on it with tolerances, you have to know how each part is going to be manufactured, and design it to make it as easy to make as possible. I had to do a lot of back and forth with the machine shops. You also have to produce bills of materials, ie a list of every single part required to make the assembly down to the last screw. Every part needs to be either designed or specified if its off the shelf. A plan for assembly usually needs to be created too, usually a document of assembly instructions for the technicians.

You also need to consider the environment its going into: is thermal expansion an issue, what loads will it be bearing, any possible corrosion issues, fatigue etc. Your design should take all of this into account, with calculations where necessary.

I quite enjoyed it, but I think that was mainly because I was with a small company that gave me a lot of responsibility and basically just let me get on with it. I was pretty much managing my own projects, doing procurement, supervising the build etc

if it makes you feel better, which it won't, i had 3.9 + research experience and couldn't find a job so i went into a phd program. i sent fewer applications than you, but still 100+. the only calls i got were from third party recruiters looking to fill ~40k positions in high cost of living areas.

Kek i work on the exact same machine as op's pic

Anybody know how the Comp Sci work is like?

like, 6k in student loans. nothing crazy.

It's busy, but brightening someone's day by putting a unique little spin on their coffee is nice.

This made me giggle like a schoolgirl. Really brightened up my day, user.

t. CS grad

Is pajeet taking the jobs a meme

Fuck I start school in 6 months and I have to decide between Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science or Accounting

Yes. Pajeet code is absolute trash and every company that uses it regrets it once they have to maintain the damn thing.

Did you ever contact the HR departments about your applications?