Why don't food manufacturers call everything organic? Everything has carbon in it, right?

Why don't food manufacturers call everything organic? Everything has carbon in it, right?

Because organic is a meme label to attract hipsters and soccer moms and make them feel good while not actually doing anything; it doesn't really mean anything at all.

I argue this with everyone who buys "organic" food

>Repeating OP's implication back to him as an answer

Brainlet detected

Could this be turned into a money making opportunity? Could I just buy something and re-package it with the label "Organic" and sell it at twice the cost?

That's done with most of the fancy water. It's re-brand tapwater. I swear rich faggots need to stop this cancer.

Pretty sure you have to legally qualify to use the organic label

You could just write "Organic Matter" but use a smaller font for "Matter" and not break any laws.

People concerned about their health do care about avoiding harsh chemicals, pesticides and artificial preservatives in their food. It's not a meme.

Organic simply means the food has been prepared through natural means.

They pretty much do these days

>Implying only hipsters and soccer moms eat healthy

technical coal is organic as well, and diamonds.

But organic pesticides tend to be harsher chemicals than artificial ones.

> Organic simply means the food has been prepared through natural means.
Almost zero food comes from "natural sources". All of it comes from millenia of selective breeding and many many other artificial techniques. Natural means isn't really well defined.
except for salt
:^)

Pretty sure there's no regulatory body that labels "organic" labeling. I may be thinking of "green" labeling. My chemist friends make soap.

Nope, that's what they want you to think. Organic growth still allows use of some pesticides, usually older and nastier ones, and says nothing about how the food is prepared.

>Pretty sure there's no regulatory body that labels "organic" labeling.

In the US, Canada, and probably a lot of other countries the federal government has rules on what's "organic" and not. Farms have to get certified and there's a ton of rules like you can't have your "organic" garden within ten feet of a neighbor who isn't.

It's a bit of a conspiracy IMHO. There's never been any proof of the health claims of organic food, so lobbyists insisted the government needed to set standards to protect organic farmers from fakers. After that happened they all acted like it was an endorsement by government scientists of the health benefits of organic food.

This

I'm pretty sure both my neighbor and I are organic.

>Organic pesticides tend to be harsher chemicals than artificial ones

This is simply not true. What is true, however, is that when people (on an individual level) use organic pesticides they tend to over-use, and often assume what they are exposed to is perfectly healthy.

Organic pesticides can certainly be very hazardous, but certain artificial ones are worse. Granted, most of the artificial pesticides that are severely dangerous are banned and see little use, while highly toxic organic pesticides are permitted.

The USDA has specific rules on what can and can not be considered organic.

I am not sure what the process is for other countries

My wife told me I never bring her to an organic.

its a marketing ploy, that's it

What's wrong with marketing if it sells more of your product?

ITT: edgy teen retards who think it's cool to fill themseves with synthetic chemicals because eating food which was grown naturally challenges their autistic reliance on the great god 'science'.

You're about 10 years late to the party.

It means it has been grown without the use of inorganic, anthropogenic chemicals

Wut, organic food is like an ethical imperative of you understand ecology. Ecologists usually aren't keen on eating commercial food anyhow

You're both retarded.
It means it hasn't been grown with inorganic, anthropogenic chemicals, and being certified organic is an actual certification and not a marketing ploy like "all-natural"
T. Farmer

Food which was grown with chemicals should be labelled 'chemical food' by law, and organic food should just be labelled 'food'.

In b4 some retard starts derping about the definition of 'chemical'.

> In b4 some retard starts derping about the definition of 'chemical'.
You mean you?
Chemical is a well-defined term. You using it incorrectly is your fault, not ours.

Oill is 100% organic as well.
But when it comes to food, there are strict rules about it being organic, you cant use inorganic fertilizer and cant use pesticides and so on.

Sometimes I think there are some smart people on this board. Then I see threads like this where people literally believe that organic food means it is composed of carbon.

Pretty sure it was a joke.
I take it you never took a chemistry course?

See? Exactly what I mean. They just can't resist. What a twat.

>cant use pesticides

You can, but they have to be organic ones. There's quite a few.

You're the one misusing the term chemical to mean "anything that scares me".

You're on a science board, retard.

Spot on.

so will chemical food feed my pet molecules

The government also certifies naturopaths and chiropractors despite them being baloney. Organic farming has always been a marketing ploy but they lobbied hard to get the FDA involved because it gives it a false sense of legitimacy. If I convinced people playing happy music to plants made them more nutritious then got the FDA to step in and make sure happy music was really being played it wouldn't be any less of a scam.

anthropogenic =/= inorganic

Toxaphene, for example, is both anthropogenic and organic. Sodium chloride is natural and inorganic.

That said, I know what you meant, and am aware of the USDA certification process.

ya and co2???

nice try retard. false!!

>I know what you meant, and am aware of the USDA certification process.
Then why did you correct him, when it was clear that he was talking about a different definition of the word 'organic'?

This reads like Trolling 101.

>Granted, most of the artificial pesticides that are severely dangerous are banned and see little use, while highly toxic organic pesticides are permitted.
That's what I said

Because definitions are important.

No, what you said is that organic pesticides use harsher chemicals. This is not true in general, for example, certain third world countries still allow the use of highly dangerous anthropogenic pesticides such as parathion. Regulations in the US and EU, etc., are the only obstacle to the usage of these pesticides. In the general case, artificial pesticides are considerably more dangerous.

Because in America to be "organic" it has to abide by USDA guidelines.

>I know that you are using this meaning of the word
>But I will correct you on the basis of that meaning of the word
>Although both are equally correct

That is the long and short of it, yes.

It's a meme my dude

literal meme level

Because the word "organic" has a different different definition in the chemical context than it does in the legal context, you fucking pedant.

it's meme shit my dude

They use it as a synonym for natural and organic sounds sophisticated and wholesome.

They are attempting to convey that the product is authentic and safe and is not overproccessed with chemical additives.