Question to aspiring mathematicians. Since this guy was at 18 probably more knowledgeable in math than you will ever be...

Question to aspiring mathematicians. Since this guy was at 18 probably more knowledgeable in math than you will ever be, knowing this, how do you motivate yourselves? Go into some niche branch of math, since no one can know everything?

It's not a competition for some people. It's just fun for them. They could be better or worse than they are now and they would still do the same thing.

if i'm jelly about how good he is i'll do the same thing he did and remain humble while doing my maths

This, not sure why everyone sees this life as one big competition.
I do not care if I am not as 'good' as him, I just want to understand math

Sure, I'll never be as good as this guy. But he can only be in one place at a time, someone's gonna have to settle for me.

Tao pretty much blew it imho.
Erdos sure was fantastic at math but he never did anything I care about. Tao dabbled in Erdos fields, and then some existence uniqueness problems in analysis. If he's not gonna hit gold with Navier Stokes, he'll be 80 doing nothing.
I like a Lurie more - even if that guy is in an opaque field (some may argue), at least he creates. Maybe I'm just a Grothi fanboy. Tao is also a lefty, which recently made me like him less. I hope I'm not just bitter.

Someone else's success doesn't define my failure.

he's sitting next to a stack of textbooks written by other mathematicians

>Tao using any textbooks

They just quickly got them for the photoshoot.

>pretentious abstraction autist complaining about Tao working on actual problems
>/pol/tard
birds of a feather I guess

Actual problems like what. Me complaining about doing existence/uniqueness questions on some differential equations is rather the engineer complaining.
I did point out that building abstract worlds like Lurie and the algebraic geometrist might be a waste too, but yes I find it more valuable than muh arithmetic progressions.

>/pol/tard
His Hillary blog post was annoying

He wasn't wrong though. Trump talks like a retard

I have a better haircut than he does.

I went into fluid dynamics

>STEM autist wants to critique other people's speech skills

I tell myself that I could probably defeat Tao in hand to hand combat, also his wife is ugly.

talking like an autist > talking out of your ass

> Daily reminder that Trump believes that vaccines cause autism

better than dying by nuclear fire while Hillary hides in her bunker

If there's someone better than you, you just have to kil him.

Long and bloody way ahead of you, ay?

top levels of academia is very competitive and i don't just mean within the same department but in the field of research as a whole. i don't know about pure mathematics but in earth sciences of you have limited budgets or limited access to run experiments and that's where the competition kicks in, why should your research be chosen instead of someone else's? get it?

>earth sciences

btw i meant natural science lol

Not everyone wants to be a top level academic.
Art is suffering. Everyone wants to know how to draw or paint, but no one wants to be, say, Van Gogh.
It's the same thing with math. People want to know programming/circuits for recreation and productivity, not necessarily because they want to advance those fields.

I think my little sister could defeat Tao in hand to hand combat.
Jesus CHRIST. Look at those arms. I get that being a genius is important business and all, but he could at least lift a fucking pickle jar every once in a while. Is someone carrying his text books for him?

>hurr me pick up heavy things and put them down

he looks like a nerd

>not Veeky Forums Veeky Forums master race

>He's not smart enough to know that exercise makes your brain and body function better.

No wonder Tao hasn't solved his Navier Stokes yet.

Im taking a pure mathematics seminar and my classmate just did a presentation on unstable homotopy theory

I go community college

> I'm a pretentious faggot

and before you start, I'm not the guy you are replying to.

tfw u stop after taking functional analysis and switch to engineering

The thing about that is that he just had a headstart. You can't compare someone that had one of the greatest mathematicians of our time as a tutor to a bunch of austists on Veeky Forums

Yes, and we will cross that bridge when we get there. In the meantime, we couldn't give a shit as long as we have the chance to work on mathematics.

What is Jacob Lurie up to now a days?

Tao was promoted to full professor at 24. He was winning an IMO gold medal at 13. I think it's safe to say the majority of people you'll be competing with in academia won't come close to Terry Tao's accomplishments.

>implying he doesn't hide his gainz in the sequence of prime numbers
Nice try gainz goblin

yes please tell everyone how you're 100% certain vaccines have never caused autism in any situation ever, and you would never place vaccine companies under any scrutiny despite the important role that vaccinations play in public health

don't ever question the narrative goy. here accept it blindly. it makes you look smart

Nigger there is zero evidence vaccines have ever caused autism, why do you even bother with this shit

Veeky Forums needs a wall to keep /pol/tards out

I don't believe that vaccines cause autism. But these days, you're only a hop, skip, and a throw away from granting vaccine companies permission to use something as harmful as thalidomide because any concerns over vaccine procedure is labeled as conspiratorial.

Give me a break. We get it, you're trying to signal to everybody else because you accept something at face value that you know little about.

Yeah, seriously Tao was tutored by Erdos at age 10.

He had an upbringing few could even dream of.

>>Tao using any textbooks
Tao confirmed for brainlet.

>math genius
>married a solid 4/10

Well I guess he doesn't understand how inequalities work

kek. terence is pretty decent looking desu and he married that cow

Stop worrying about age, analytical ability improves with age, part of the reason universities like mature students.

>cow

grothi was like the king lefty, you know shit.

>grothi
*Shourik.

Mochizuki and Perelman > Tao

The left in the past has nothing to do with the left now. In 2017, the conservatives turned into the reactionary libertarians.

>Mochizuki
Should put more effort into explaining his work.
I would post a lot on videos on YouTube explaining my work so that more mathematicians could understand it.
>Perelman
Only solved on problem.

>just one problem
yeah totally its not like his work had profound implications or anything

>yeah totally its not like his work had profound implications or anything
Trains still get delayed so I don't see why.

>why
* how.