Do you agree Veeky Forums?

Do you agree Veeky Forums?

>commercial art and graphic design
>architecture
>useless
Huh?

Yes, but they should probably replace Architecture with 'any History major'

the graphic design labour market is flooded, meaning there are far too many graphic designers than graphic design work.

Architects get paid fuck all to do ridiculous amounts of work. Being an architect sucks, it's a shite degree

Architects may find themselves relegated into wagecuckery unless they are guaranteed work at some big firm.

I still don't see how it's nearly as useless as random crap like "" ""women's studies"""" or some millennial bullshit.

>architecture
>useless
I find it funny that women's studies are nowhere to be seen on that list.

I like how they put useless in quotations at the top, its impossible to know what they meant by "useless" without the context.

"Creative" people BTFO

I would say so

History majors can easily land a job teaching if they get certified. Competition isn't hardcore enough for you to end up jobless.

I know what you mean. Usually that's a prelude to someone doing olympic level mental gymnastics in-front of an entire class that's mostly made up of those majors.

DESU my guy, most universities pretend that degree doesn't exist or it's a Frankenstein's Monster where you take classes from 3 different departments with one or two intro and capstone courses to complete the major. My university does it with Archaeology.

>Usually that's a prelude to someone doing olympic level mental gymnastics in-front of an entire class that's mostly made up of those majors.
I just hate the term useless degree in general. Higher education shouldn't be just about employment, but intellectual curiosity as well. If you're passionate about history but don't really have an interest in teaching was it still a useless degree? You no doubt learned a lot about things that interested you.

Yeah that's true in the way but reality can sometimes be a bitch because after school comes the question of "who the fuck is gonna hire me for more than just slightly above minimum wage?" I know you can usually talk your way into a job with a degree but it's 1000x easier when you have a relevant degree and a lot more likely to happen.

Times have unfortunately changed and if you want to pursue intellectual curiosity but be employed the trick is to major in something you're decent enough at and can get a job with and minor or double major in something you have a real interest in.

>Architecture
>Useless

wut? i see job postings all the time for licensed architects. they make fuckin' bank too.

>1. Women's/Gender/Social Justice Studies
>2. African American/Asian American/Latino American Studies
>3. Sociology/Communication
>4. Art/Drama
>5. Computer Science/IT/DBA/Engineering Technology

Fixed it for you

Yes, of course.

how else are you supposed to learn to act?

Where's journalism on this list

I'm sick of people always comparing how "useful" a degree is. Did it ever occur to you that a lot of people study these things because they find them interesting and enjoy studying? Not everything is about finding a job and earning money.
I personally don't find most of these subjects interesting, and I'm currently studying something that would be considered "useful", but I'm not doing this because I thought "this is the most practical thing to study", but because I think it's interesting.
Studying doesn't have to be something you do in order to get a job. It could be to satisfy your need to learn (even though it's gonna make life harder later on). I may not think these subjects are interesting, but I appreciate the people who study them because of sheer interest, without constantly thinking "hurr durr i wantz moneyz".
I think that comparing degrees only by how useful they are is just a way for people who study some subjects (mostly STEM) to validate themselves.

Exactly. I was reading the student paper about on BJ student complaining bout it. She said that we needed journalism more than ever in our "post-truth" world.

>Journalism
>Truth

Pick one. 95% is basically shilling for some bullshit.

The part you don't see is where you show up for the interview, they don't know the name of your university, so they don't hire you.

Architecture is a big fuck you got mine career field. If you aren't from a prestigious university (known for architecture) or someone with years of experience actually holding the job you are applying for, good fucking luck.

In about 20 years when the current architects start dying off there will be a gigantic lack of experienced architects because no new ones are able to break in.

Get out. We don't need your logical and rationnal thinking here.

I don't think Architecture is so bad as long as it's coupled with a Civil Engineering degree or something. Not a bad minor but I wouldn't recommend anyone majoring in it.

only read the first sentence but hey man, what's funny about these majors is not just their uselessness, it's also the fact that only a downright braindead simpleton might be interested in stuff like women's studies or drama. A pure maths degree might be useless, but at least that's interesting for real, unless you're a brainlet, but no one cares about them, so...... yeah.

Only richfags can afford to go to college just for intellectual curiosity, unfortunately. The rest of us has to major in something that the job market wants.

>t. African american queer and transgender women studies major

In all seriousness though, I talk to a lot of people and I find that 75% students who are in those majors are there because they dont know,what else to do and are fully aware and sometimes even depressed at their shit useless major choice, and the remaining 25% genuinely like the subject

You say that because despite you're studying something out of sheer curiosity, you'll never have to panic about getting a job.

holy shit the ideology is showing in this thread

hey there's one non-retarded person here

Phew. Glad that I chose to major in philosophy.

"Useless" isn't the right term for this assortment

"Useless" majors would be:

>Women's Studies
>African Studies
>Art History
>

etc, shit that has almost no application to real life work

The contempt is due to the fact that people drop $100,000 to "study" this shit, when they don't have half of that money, and help contribute to our growing debt bubble and bloated academic system.

You could learn more from a few online courses.

People can take interest in these subjects without being stupid (for instance, my sister studies neurobiology and musicology). And even if they are stupid, who gives a shit? Let them be. At least they're willing to learn, which is a good start (the real brainlets are the ones that never study anything or that study things that they hate).

I'm only referring to the ones that study out of interest. Any person that studies "just to have a degree no matter what" is a fool.

Let them panic, it's their choice. If it were somebody who decides to go around the world on a cruise ship (which is just as "impractical and wasteful") nobody would give a fuck, but once somebody decides to study something he likes, despite the fact that it's not useful - oh boy, call the cops.
Why is it okay to waste your life in one way but not the other (and just to make things clear, I don't really mean waste, because each person should be able to choose what to do with his own life)

Yeah, I'm quite sure that 90% of the people in this thread are showing this condescending attitude out of sheer care to the national debt.
I don't know about you in person, but you're surely smart enough to understand that most people here are just being dicks towards people who wish to learn something that undermines their life choices. No point in making excuses for them.

There's no such thing as a journalism degree.

You can get a communications degree with a journalism focus, which obviously isn't the most lucrative idea in the world, but it still leaves room for landing something in PR/Marketing once you realize that journalism is a fluff field that is almost impossible to land a full time position in these days.

I can do better:
1. Any arts major
2. Any "studies" major(e.g. gender studies, queer studies)
3. Literature and languages(except for linguistics)
4. Theology
5. Continental philosophy

These lists are compiled by journalists, so they're a little biased in that regard. It's like how you see so many books about novelists - they live in a bit of a bubble.

Idiocy. With the increase in television, film, and video games we have more need for artists than ever before. We also know that studying art improves math and science scores.

Attacking art is the tool of the weak.

1. computer science

let's be serious, it's not a real science

>no women/ethnic studies

These majors aren't useless. There's a lot to learn in all of these subjects. However you might have trouble finding a stable job in most of these.

Architects, unless they're quite lucky, get only occassional gigs. Also I have no idea what fine arts graduates do. Graphic design is very competitive although if you keep up to speed (ie work on web-based graphic design) you should be able to get a very decent job.

Film-related jobs are also undergoing a massive boom so you won't have much trouble with that either. Now every second store wants professionally made commercials, people do all kinds of promos and a lot of content is moving to video in general.

Finally Drama and theater arts has also lots of jobs available. If you're vain and go for acting or try to be a director you'll probably fail, but lots of people work in the movie industry. Every movie hires countless contractors and spends hundreds of millions so you can probably find something to do.