What is the worst science and why is it Chemistry?

What is the worst science and why is it Chemistry?

How do we fix it?

It seems like it needs to be stripped down and rebuilt entirely.
It's 90% memorization, 10% mangling of elementary algebra with obtuse terminology.

Recall that every single time a new topic was introduced in Chemistry, it was prefaced with 15 minutes of excuses about why shit was named backwards or why you "just had to memorize" a table of 40 pieces of shit for just that section.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinted_brain_theory
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

are you still in high school?

College, actually.
Physics? Easy.
Calculus? Easy.
20 page essays? Easy.
20 minute report on ethics and the federal government? Easy.
Any topic in history ever? Effortless.

Chemistry? SHOULD BE FUCKIN EASY, BECAUSE IT'S ALL JUST MEMORIZATION AND ALGEBRA-I TIER MATH, BUT IT'S NOT, BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS STRUCTURED AND PRESENTED IN THE MOST OBTUSE FUCKING WAY POSSIBLE.

I can triple integrate like a motherfucker. I can figure the rate of change in a digital signal and write a snippet of code that will correct any noise in the line. I've written a paper so good at the undergrad level that it actually got published. I'm in multiple fuckin honor societies and am the goddamn president of my university's STEM club.

And this piece of shit class trips me up PURELY because you have to have someone hold your goddamn hand and explain all of the stupid fuckin details to you as you learn it.

I teach myself. I pick up a damn book or watch 10 videos and write up my own study guides and that's how I learn. And it does not fucking work on Chemistry because the explanations, labels, descriptions, etc HAVE NOTHING TO FUCKIN DO WITH THE ACTUAL WORK IN THE CLASS.

The entire course is bipolar. It says one thing, then does another. And what it says is pure horseshit. Convoluted nonsense.

It's painfully obvious that Chemistry has never been edited or reformed. That they've just been plugging away at experiments like the fucking autistics that chemists always are and building this fuckhuge body of data to memorize instead of learn intuitively, all the while mislabeled and mis-describing shit and misusing math to make it work.

And that's modern Chemistry.

I say, "Fuck it." Torch the fuckin topic and rebuild it. There has to be a better way to teach this piece of shit class than "hurr memorize 200 things, ignore our jargon, and learn these really simple calculations".

Are you on a spectrum?

sounds like you just go to a brainlet school

could you not get accepted into anywhere reputable enough to have a competent chemistry department? chemistry is one of the largest fields of modern science

No. I'm actually on the opposite of the spectrum according to this theory: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinted_brain_theory

I'm hypervigilant of other people's thoughts, actions, and emotions, while autists are typically oblivious to them and have trouble understanding them.

Because you seem to think that chemistry being big somehow negates a single thing I said, I'm inclined to believe that you went to a brainlet school.

Plus my choice of school is irrelevent when every fuckin video or text on the subject is full of disclaimed about how poorly defined everything in chemistry is.

Every topic in chemistry from ionic charges to redox reactions to titrations to orbitals opens up with 15 minutes of explanation as to why the topic is mishandled by chemistry and why every student struggles with X, Y, and/or Z.

See the problem? Every fuckin chemist knows about all of these problems. So just fix them!

>Plus my choice of school is irrelevent when every fuckin video or text on the subject is full of disclaimed about how poorly defined everything in chemistry is.
>Every topic in chemistry from ionic charges to redox reactions to titrations to orbitals opens up with 15 minutes of explanation as to why the topic is mishandled by chemistry and why every student struggles with X, Y, and/or Z.
if there's a brainlet warning on everything you're reading you should probably take that as a sign

maybe try reading the books for grownups and not watching khan academy

i know plenty of chemists who went through their education without whining like you

have you tried just sitting down in a library, closing Veeky Forums and actually studying? blaming the inanimate study material instead of yourself will only make it harder for you to learn

>I have symptoms of schizophrenia, but at least I'm not autistic right guys?

This is sort of a brainlet question as I do math and not chemistry, but how much of reactions and properties of compounds are traced back to and explained by their structure for a physics point of view?

Is it that the laws are predictable even when calculated and does not conform to any real pattern or whats the deal?

>if there's a brainlet warning on everything you're reading you should probably take that as a sign
Stop meming for 5 seconds and listen to yourself.
If EVERYONE gets the same warning, the topic is wrong, not the student. If EVERYONE has the same problems, the teaching method needs to change. Period.

>have you tried just sitting down in a library, closing Veeky Forums and actually studying?
I explicitly said this is how I learn every class. I read every relevant textbook segment in the uni library and the local library and watch a variety of different videos online. For everything.

And it works for every single topic. Except chemistry. Because chemistry's practice and its texts do not agree.

If you think me saying I'm closer to Schizophrenic than Autistic is remotely a brag or proud assertion, you're a sub-60 IQ brainlet, desu.

I'm hoping ALL of it. I'm probably taking a nuclear physics course this summer or next semester and I'm tempted to drop chemistry until then and hope that the physics approach fixes all of these issues. Because physics is an AAA+ god tier subject that actually makes goddamn sense.

>If EVERYONE gets the same warning, the topic is wrong, not the student. If EVERYONE has the same problems, the teaching method needs to change. Period.
are you speaking for every chemistry student on the planet here?

don't project your insufficiencies onto others

maybe you should study some psychology 101 to learn about how to avoid this

>I explicitly said this is how I learn every class. I read every relevant textbook segment in the uni library and the local library and watch a variety of different videos online. For everything.
like i said, it doesn't matter if you're reading the books for brainlets

go find yourself a real textbook for grownups

I hope so too, the same goes for biology. The distinction between these subjects are just abstractions of what really happens on the molecular level.

You're talking about freshman general chemistry? Do emojis work on Veeky Forums?

>are you speaking for every chemistry student on the planet here?
Clearly a substantial portion of students must have similar issues if every single source gives the same disclaimers. If it's common knowledge that X, Y, and Z topics in chemistry cause all these problems, they need to be fixed. Period.

>like i said, it doesn't matter if you're reading the books for brainlets
>go find yourself a real textbook for grownups
Yup. I'm sure each of the 12 chemistry texts in my uni library, plus 2 more in the chem study plus a handful of non-textbook chemistry books from the local library are all just poorly written. Surely it's not that the subject itself is backwards bullshit.

I had an easy time with biology. Lots of memorization but at least it made intuitive sense.

Technically Gen Chem I, yeah, but I'm taking it way late because it's such a shit class. I figured it'd be relatively easy after taking a bunch of math and physics. I was wrong. It's even more frustrating now because now I'm comparing activity levels in ions to partial derivatives and 3D integrals and thinking there's no fucking way these shitty +2 and -1 charges can be on the same level as calculus 3 and 4, but when I go to do the problems I get half of them wrong because of obscure bullshit rules that weren't mentioned previously.

>Clearly a substantial portion of students must have similar issues if every single source gives the same disclaimers. If it's common knowledge that X, Y, and Z topics in chemistry cause all these problems, they need to be fixed. Period.
again, you're just looking at the wrong sources

>Yup. I'm sure each of the 12 chemistry texts in my uni library, plus 2 more in the chem study plus a handful of non-textbook chemistry books from the local library are all just poorly written. Surely it's not that the subject itself is backwards bullshit.
which school for brainlets do you go to that has such a poorly equipped library? please give me the name so i know never to venture out that way. you know you can ask libraries to order in the books for grownups right?

>again, you're just looking at the wrong sources
Prove it. Put up or shut up. Show me the "right" sources.

>you know you can ask libraries to order in the books for grownups right?
Name em. Liste them off.

Nobody gives a shit, undergrad.

is there a specific topic you have in mind? i liked mcmurry for ochem and mcquarrie for pchem

i'm still eager to know which brainlet school you go to

Hello OP, Chem Eng here. Yes you nailed it. Chemistry is hard work for no pay, and sucking lots of stale professor dick, but that is also engineering for you.

It sounds to me you are still doing the fundamentals of chemistry and I can tell you it gets easier and better after "Physical Chemistry." The first years are there to get rid of stoners and druggies because chemists sadly have zero tolerance for these people. Why educate someone who wants to make meth. Chemistry is like a long journey of different scientific paradigms through history, but really they just bullshit you the first few years because your mind isn't ready for the real truth.

>chemistry is one of the largest fields of modern science
With 0 $ and 0 jobs starting... Unless you are a sane person and choose pharmacology, biochemistry, process (oil and gas) or medicinal chemistry later on.

>How do we fix it?
lmao

you're not going to be fixing anything if you can't even learn freshman chemistry

Look at this arrogant, defensive, smug little bitch of a college sophomore. Mr. President of the STEM club, I mean are you fucking kidding me? You're the type of prick other people can't stand to be around, I bet you try to bring up what you're doing in school all the time in conversations to impress people.

Take a vow of silence for the rest of your life to spare humanity from your stupidity.

There just seems to be a lot of useless chaff combined with no one bothering to develop any teaching method aside from memorization because people who love chemistry will be happy enough to memorize the material and not care about the 1,000 other people telling them it's retarded.

"Well I get it so it must not be done wrong!"

is this a cringe thread?

idk, I enjoyed Organic Chemistry. I was a math major and just treated it like a math class. I tried to find a "proof" for why things happened and derive reactions from axioms that I knew.

>can't articulate a real reply
>decide to fling shit instead
The most obvious sign of a brainlet.

How dare you insult my indeligence, I'm smart okay, get over it gaaaaah!!

Honestly dude I think you're retarded.

Holy shit, thought I was the only one.

Math major taking a chem minor. I'm almost done with Orgo II right now and that's exactly how I treat it. Showing a mechanism and reagents = a proof.

wew lad, take a chill pill.

Chemistry is not that hard, but it IS a science that is based on using logic to tease out the right answer, instead of physics where you plug and chug a bunch of problems that are exactly like some physics examples you saw in lecture.

Same with math. Triple integrals are not difficult. There's no logic, just memorization of a routine. I was a lot like you, and also struggled in chemistry.

It DOES get better after Gen Chem - organic chemistry has a lot more logic. But where you're fucking up is not knowing that chemistry is an empirical science, not a theoretical one. The reason that there are so many "exceptions" (there actually arent) is when lab results did not behave according to derived models.

Hey man, sorry you can't skate through undergrad by memorizing formulas and watching khan academy. Try just doing all the problems at the end of the chapter in your textbook. Worked for me - I went from getting Bs in gen chem to top 5% of the class in my gen-chem and o-chem courses.

>smoke weed
>chemistry is fucking hard
>stop smoking weed
>chemistry became E Z AF
Stop smoking so much weed.

Is this nigger serious, are you going to tell me that you cannot pass General Chemistry?
How am I to believe that you can triple integrate if you cannot pass high school tier chem.

I'm a clinical biochem. and I agree that it's mostly memorization with elementary grade calculations, but for fuck sake use your imagination and paint moving pictures in your head, you don't have to learn it in words.
And don't fucking watch Khan Academy, videos are too long, you are loosing time on brainlet tier shit.

The main reason chemistry gets a lot of flak is:
1) general chemistry courses are worthless garbage that should be saved for brainlets. If you need to take a gen chem course before moving onto ochem/ichem/pchem/achem you should just switch to something else.
2) after gen chem people typically take introductory ochem which is a step up from gen chem but still boring as fuck labwork and can really just be summed up as "electrons move"
3) usually chem majors don't need to take more math than a multivariate calculus course and maybe linear algebra

Who else /analytical and physical chem/ masterrace here?

I like chemical physics, but that's just physical chemistry in a different department

>read E Z AF
>start reciting the nernst equation

truly i am broken

op, either you're rain man or you're lying about your achievements, you should have learned redox in high school

I'm OP and I'm actually making an A in the class, barely.

My complaint is that the whole class is retardedly frustrating. It should not take more effort than calculus. It should not eat up hours of my time. I'm in 20 credit hours this semester so my study time is precious, yet chemistry routinely eats up more than any other 2 of my 6 classes combined.

This is just backwards.
My physics class teaches concepts more than math. You have to, for example, derive the formula for a phenomenon based on logic and prior knowledge on exams and show every step. Same for Calculus. Integrals require problem solving skills. You have to know the patterns and 40+ formulas and how to manipulate expressions to make them fit those patterns.

Chemistry, on the other hand, is entirely memorizing ions, activity series, solubility, etc.