Why are schools teaching Kafka?

Everything about his work is demoralizing, nihilistic, fatalistic (you are doomed and can't do something about it) and narcissistic (da poor me against da evil society). It's emo literature.

Why do we give kids such downers. How about teaching them something positive?

art isn't some moralist tool for indoctrinating the youth you idiot

Why did you create this thread?

Well Kafka and other Existentialists indoctrinate the youth too, only with negativity.

Kids need to be able to recognize failure for when they achieve it in the future.

>How about teaching them something positive?
They are fed enough lies.

It's an interesting look into the psyche of Jewish diaspora in his time.

Good

>you will never be as qt as Kafka

Teaching literature should be about learning to appreciate the art form, not for edification or passing morals.

That's bullshit. Since when do Jews have nihilistic views? They follow clearly defined goals with a passion. Since when are they fatalistic? Infact they see themselves as the one who decides over the fates of others. One yiddish saying is "Man plans, God laughs". And guess who they mean with god.

Kafka is rather Goyim literature. Give them all the negativity and nihilism.

>Since when do Jews have nihilistic views?

Wew boys

Some of is stuff is remarkably edifying I thought. "A Country Doctor" made me really analyze my own self-imposed restrictions and unattainment of true agency under them

So? You're no good with logic?

But schools are

misreading Kafka this hard, ouch

Teens love depressive shit. They're only just starting to experience the full spectrum of negative emotion, and they revel in exploring it.

Everyone who thinks that Kafka is highschool level literature is a pseud themselves. Seriously, go read some theory and then try to return to him with these facile notions. Kafka explores ideas that are at the heart of modernity: What is the relationship between the body and the law? How do we interact with and internalize guilt? What does purely immanent life, that is, a life without transcendence look it?

If you think these are questions for kiddies, go read some more before you post.

>It's emo literature.

I am with rage right now

tips

For the same reason it's socially acceptable to wear a hammer and sickle but not a swastika. The culture of the radical left is not stigmatized, but engendered by society's elites. This quite obviously percolates down throughout every strata and institution, effecting public schools just as much as it has effected every other sector whose distribution attracts certain kinds of people from certain rotten institutions and ideologies.

That is, the left maintains a virtual hegemony over the culture by way of academia, media, and government to a lesser extent.

Personally, I wouldn't mind such learning if it wasn't taught as gospel and the pupils were exposed to differing points of view.

>this entire post

good post

Uh, gee bauss, idk, maybe it's because literally every surrealist work of the 20th century is a byproduct of his genius?

Tbh I had to read much more depressing shit in school. One book was cca 150 pages of descriptions of and dialogues about nihilism and the ugliness of human life, with the remaining 50 pages with some sort of a plot that ends with a man killing his wife by biting her throat out.

>only teach students flowery little messages

lol

I read To Kill a Mockingbird and then moved to Dual Credit :)

I always imagine Kafka's ghost grinning at me cheekily whenever I read his stuff. I can't take the work too seriously, it's good though.

Because an analytic reading of the Hungry Caterpillar isn't substantial to an intellectual mind. You're acting like Kafka is the only thing that is taught when it isn't, nor is everything that is taught negative. When were you taught to make broad assumptions?

>hahaha... i bet u think im CRAZY dont u... well then HE TURNED INTO A COCKROACH HAHAHAHAHA

I was taught kafka in high school but not untill my senior year

The only person in my senior English class that was taught Kafka was our teacher, because everybody needed a short novel for self-guided reading.

Speaking of Kafka, how much German will I need to know to read the Metamorphosis? I've heard it's a good intermediate-level book because it has relatively simple language and is short.

Just read english version like all the other clucks

I've read the English version. I'm learning German though and this just came to mind.