Who is the smartest person alive?

In each respective field, and overall.

my main man Sam

I said person, not robot

sadly fields have become so complicated and inter-dependent we don't have polymaths or multi-disciplinary geniuses anymore. It's quite a sad historical time to be a theoretician, but really the most exciting time to be alive if you're an experimenter, engineer, designer, we've never built such complex things before and we are rushing forward towards a super-AI that can win a nuclear war flawlessly, something like:

>hijack all computer systems
>set false alarm missile status for all the world nuclear powers
>crisis commences where everyone rushes to disable their missiles
>in the shutdown cycle embed an airgapped virus that makes rebooting impossible for your opponents
>very high probabilty tthis will work as some idiot is bound to have an iphone near his console
>launch your missiles, pretend like it's another error, they cannot retaliate, claim it was a gross malfunction
>deploy troops to provide aid and decontamination to the countries you just nuked
>everyone knows whats up, you win but they can't do shit.

>inb4 b-but he's a meme

Roger Penrose maybe

>mfw I am a brainlet but even I can see how insane all of this inter-disciplinary specialization is

I think in past years some people's titles would be akin to saying, "I work in the field of 11th Century Ottoman Sculptures, specializing in Transcribing Arcane Illuminations."

No. He was smart, but not anymore.

He's looking for God in fractals ffs.

good movie

That's the beauty of society. Each person only understands the smallest fragment, but somehow it fits together.

Definitely in his field but also definitely not overall.

me

It's really interesting to see Veeky Forums talk about Chomsky as opposed to Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums. The opinions are different, I'll just say that.

computers will be the next geniuses in society, AI's solving harder problems than we can.

My man David.

Shut the fuck up communist scum.

Biochemistry: Jim Wells

Structural biology: Yigong Shi

Pancreatic/lung cancer user.

Terry Davis

>Philosophy - Saul Kripke

>Physics - Steven Hawking

>Mathematics - Terence Tao

>Linguistics - Noam Chomsky

>Economics - Amartya Sen

>Political science - John Mearsheimer

>>Physics - Steven Hawking
I want brainlets to leave.

>Steven Hawking isn't smart
Well, then it's your turn to leave.

You know about him because he's in a wheelchair.
Plenty of smart physicists around.

>You know about him because he's in a wheelchair

It's not like Hawaking radiation, gravitational singularity theorems and numerous important contributions to cosmology are something extremely profound, pfft.

test

>Physics
Igor Bogdanov

>Mathematics
Grishka Bogdanov

what about overall though?

>Hawaking radiation

>Hawking's work followed his visit to Moscow in 1973 where the Soviet scientists Yakov Zeldovich and Alexei Starobinsky showed him that, according to the quantum mechanical uncertainty principle, rotating black holes should create and emit particles.[3]
Not even original work.

Who da fuck is THAT guy?

Big Irish balls in ya face.

meme apologetics

me

who dat

can someone give me a quick rundown on their achievements?

Has Tao even done anything yet?
I would think Atiyah, Conway or Serre are more intelligent than him

Plagiarised Post-Anabelian Froeboid Geometrics from Mochizuki, it's a complex field of mathematics only he can understand fully.

Why have you uploaded a screenshot from Inception?

Tao has done a ton of stuff but very little of it is really a big deal. Somewhat counterintuitively (maybe) geniuses tend to work on small little puzzle problems rather than giant ones because the little problems are where genius really shines; often it's just one brilliant insight that none of the other brainlets saw and you're basically done.

They rule over France with and iron but fair fist.

Well I think really there's two general categories of genius, the problem solvers like tao or erdos and the theory builders like grothendieck
read the article "The two cultures of mathematics"

I think Gowers' article is certainly true, but I also think that the impact of genius is much less relevant in the work of the "theory builders", so to speak.

When you spread your work over thousands of pages rather than 5, the impact of raw intelligence gets heavily diluted. EGA was not written in a flash of brilliance; it was created from inhuman amounts of effort and patience.

If you say he's not smart then you are RAY-CIST!!

overall

Really depends on your definition of genius then. I define it on what you create, not just being able to almost ace the SAT maths test when you're nine years old or being able to instantly tell GH Hardy why 1729 is interesting. I don't think genius is all about being exceptionally quick or having a super high IQ, if you're creative enough, are obsessed and/or dedicated enough, have a decent amount of intelligence and can look "deep" enough to find insights into something no one else has seen before but you're not like Ramanujan or Tao that doesn't make you any less of a genius. I guess what you're talking about would be a sort of inverse labor theory of genius, where genius is not defined by the value of the work you produce, but by how easily and brilliantly you have new insights. Personally I think it entirely depends on what you produce, and not just your intelligence, though a certain amount of intelligence/aptitude is certainly necessary. What you say about theory builders is true though, Grothendieck himself described himself as "clumsy" and "oafish" compared to more "gifted" mathematicians which accomplished much less than him.

what has he ever done

I want to give him a hug and tell him i'm sorry for how obnoxious and insane the world is.

Rothschilds
Ayyliens
God and the archangels
Fort Bogdanoff

wew

tai lopez :^)

one book a day breh

john malcovich really is a great actor

>not reading 2 encyclopedias a day
brainlets should get out

my iq is 101
above average
genius, even

It can't be more than 100%.

Source: My IQ is 93% and mum says I'm smart.

What linguistics? Not even close

I am smarter than 100% of the earths population and smarter than 1% of alien population
100%+1% = 101%ile intelligence

I am pretty sure there is some mad bastard in here who is such a fucking genius that he is both simultaneously the smartest man in the world and a complete fucking moron at the same time.
An almighty idiot.

who?

He was already way beyond his peers when he was normal. Just imagine the amount of neurons that his brain uses for intelligence now that he doesn't use his body anymore.

He is smart though.

Christopher Langan?

My professors. God bless them

richard dawkins

ben stiller

for Logic

reminder that they stole mochzuki's work

>not tesla
>being this dumb

>alive

>being THIS dumb

>Yigong Shi
Why are chinks so good at physical biology?

>BEING this dumb

By far in linguistics.

It might be because Veeky Forums and Veeky Forums think they know about linguistics when they really don't, whereas Veeky Forums either do know about it or know they don't for the most part.