Cancer-tier = Walt Whitman

God-tier= Lucretius
High-tier= Vergil, Ovid
Mid-tier= Catullus
Overrated tier= Horace
Shit-tier= Statius
Cancer-tier= Silius Italicus

Oh my god you fucking plebian

I'm glad OP introduced a "cancer-tier" because I don't think Whitman would have fit anywhere else.

Whitman is decent and I think youre just saying that in order to be edgy. Im not impressed. I dont think anyone is.

>I think youre just saying that in order to be edgy

You would be wrong. Whitman is cancer.

>Silius Italicus

Had to look him up. Thought it was a joke name

You fucking take that back about Stace

You put Yeats in high but ginsberg in shit. Id like to know where you'd put keats or wordsworth. You put dante in overrated. Holy shit good god. Judging by the rest of your list im guessing youre an american or a brit in which case i highly doubt you can read italian so your opinion is worth less than a sweater in july.

God tier- T.S. Eliot
High Tier- Philip Larkin
Mid tier- W.B Yeats
Overrated tier- Seamus Heaney
Shit tier- Robert Frost
Cancer tier- Maya Angelou

God-tier- Keats
High tier- Shelley
Mid- tier - Coleridge
Overrated (but still real good)-tier- Blake
Shit-tier- Wordsworth
Cancer-tier- Byron

>Lucretius
>God Tier
domina mea

Oh so it's Dante that upset you. Get over it.

Keats is arguably God-tier, Wordsworth is mid-tier

Larkin is not my favorite, personally, but pretty accurate list desu

God tier= Spanish Golden Age
High tier= Symbolism
Mid tier = Simultaneism
Overrated tier= Surrealism
Shit tier= Free verse
Cancer tier= Poetry slams

Fuck off angelou is great. Larkin i agree with but Heaney was great, or at least what ive read.

God tier: ezra pound
High tier: Keats
Mid tier: Ts Eliot
Overrated tier:William blake/Tennyson
Shit tier:rosetti
Cancer tier: Percey Bitch Shelley

What about Angelou makes her great? I literally can't see anything remotely approaching greatness in her writing, just platitudinous vacuity of the most mind-numbing and artless kind

God-tier= Dostoevsky
High-tier= Cervantes
Mid-tier= Verne
Overrated tier= Plato
Shit-tier= Orwell
Cancer-tier= DFW

>poets

Agree except on free verse on shit tier

me2

>Frost in Shit tier
Pleb alert.

Subject: Psychological realism

God-tier= George Eliot
High-tier= Virginia Woolf
Mid-tier= Shakespeare
Overrated tier= James Joyce
Shit-tier= Chaucer
Cancer-tier= idk lol

Fuck off hillbilly

Yeah he's literally the worst lmao
My old Latin teacher wrote a reader for the Thebaid we still joke about today
Yes! De Rerum Natura is a masterwork

God-tier=my diary desu
High-tier=my diary desu
Mid-tier=my diary desu
Overrated tier=my diary desu
Shit-tier=my diary desu
Cancer-tier=my diary desu

>being a literal city rat

King of Kings tier, the only poet who knew poetry tier : Charles Baudelaire

Ebola/cancer/Overrated shit tier : rest of humanity

God tier: Donne
High tier: Shakespeare
Mid tier: Fulke Greville
Overrated tier: Ben Jonson
Shit tier: Samuel Daniel
Cancer tier: Spenser

I hate Petrachists SO MUCH

>Being this uneducated
Oh boy, senpai.

that faggot is NO ONE compared to our lord and savior Pushkin

Pushkin is awful lmao

Tales of Belkin is the worst thing I've forced myself to read ever

Virginia Woolf is such shit compared to Joyce, and even she was aware of that.

God-tier= Hegel
High-tier= Aristotle, Plato
Mid-tier= Deleuze, Kant
Overrated tier= Nietzsche, Heidegger
Shit-tier= Aquinas
Cancer-tier=Schopenhauer

yeah, no, especially not in terms of psychological realism. that's not to say i don't love Joyce though.

God-tier = T. S. Eliot
High-tier = Thomas Merton
Mid-tier = Mary Oliver
Overrated tier = W. H. Auden
Shit-tier = James Baldwin
Cancer-tier = Mira Gonzalez

as far as theologians
God Tier;...well God
High Tier: St Augustine Kierkegaard
Midtier: boethius/'Albert the great
Overrated tier: Aquinas
Shit tier: Anslem
Cancer Tier: Richard Dawkins

are you even trying? tales of belkin is a short story collection, not poetry.
also
>reading translations
gtfo, retard.

Oh, well maybe his poetry is good. His short stories were awful, however.

Your definition of psychological realism is a weird one, considering what you listed. And no, she doesn't touch him. Her character's thoughts are unrealistic, nobody thinks about trivialities as eloquently as her characters do. She didn't dare to be as radical as Joyce, which ultimately left her playing second fiddle to him. Also, her snobbishness taints her fiction. She should have been a poet, because she could write beautifully.

What do you think of Tertullian?

Detected

u wot. Go read "The Shot" and tell me it isn't the worst story ever written.

I'm italian and i need to understand where an english-speaker can find the justification to say that Dante is overrated.
You cannot fully understand his language as i do, you will never appreciate his lines because the thirteen century italian isn't your language, moron

It's obvious that translations of such works are useless

what if i said that Chaucer is shit? I'd be a fucking idiot
hope you're a troll

>being inbred

It's ok, user, we understand you are.

It really sickens me people this dumb are alive

>I'm italian

Opinion discarded.

Even Joyce's stream of consciousness requires you to suspend some disbelief. When's the last time a walk down the street brought out for you such an avalanche of daydreams, philosophical thoughts, and mundane wonderings as it does for Bloom? Woolf definitely moderates her stream of consciousness more-- it's not as 'raw' as Joyce's. But she combines experimentalism, stunningly poetic prose, and some profound insight in *much* more readable novels. They are both giants of literary history and it's silly to get caught up in greatness debates.

God-tier = Shakespeare; Tolstoy
High-tier = Chekhov; Homer
Mid-tier = Melville; Nabokov
Overrated tier = Cervantes
Shit-tier = Allen Ginsberg
Cancer-tier = Paulo Coelho

Get a load of this guy.

I have read every poem ever and this is in no way a subjective rating
God-Tier: Homer, Virgil, Dante, Milton, Whitman (The Epicists)
High-Tier: The Three Tragedians of 5th CenturY Athens, The Nine Melic Poets, The writers of Beowuf and the Epic of Gilgamesh, Chaucer, The anonymous writers of Sir Patrick Spense, Lord Randal, The Unquiet Grave, The Three Ravens and The Twa Corbies, Shakespeare, Alexander Pope, All of the Romantics (except Wordsworth and Byron), Latter Eliot, Stevens, Yeats, Snyder
Mid-Tier: Pound, Donne, Sydney, Spenser, Roman Poets besides Virgil (except Catullus), Robert Frost
Over-rated tier: Early Eliot, Wordsworth
Shit-tier: Early Eliot, The beats besides Gary Snyder, Every poet born afer ww1
Cancer-Tier: Wordsworth, Aristophanes, every poet born after ww2

I have a serious question for you guys, and I don't mean it in an offensive manner. What do you like about Dante? I've only read Inferno and intend to re-read it and get to reading the other two parts eventually, but I just couldn't enjoy him at all. Inferno felt more like a long series of lists than any other poem I've read and I couldn't get much out of it.

How come I never see anybody talk about or mention marina tsvetaeva here? I like her poetry a lot

>When's the last time a walk down the street brought out for you such an avalanche of daydreams, philosophical thoughts, and mundane wonderings as it does for Bloom
All the time. Obviously it's not exactly the same, but the written word will always be just an approximation of consciousness
>*much* more readable novels
Have you read The Waves? I don't think it's much easier than Ulysses.
>it's silly to get caught up in greatness debates
Maybe. I'm definitely biased against Woolf because of how she reacted to Joyce, but I think her reaction perfectly exemplifies why she didn't quite reach Joyce's heights. It's because she never wanted to display life in all its vulgar mundanity.

Some people really can't turn their minds off. I know that when I'm doing anything that isn't very mentally tasking I can't think of anything else but those scattered thoughts.

Sometimes those thoughts get lost and become words and voices in your mind.

>Whitman
>God-Tier
>mfw

Since I cannot actually read in Italian alone I was reading him in Portuguese and English, comparing the translations with the Italian original (if you speak Portuguese you can actually figure out a lot of things in Italian).

What I like about him is his capacity for concision, his mastery of rhyme (he makes his rhymes seem almost inevitable, as if only the words he is rhyming were the ones in the Universe that could be used in that situation) and, of course, his great imagination: to use many sources and his own conscience to build tree different worlds, all of them with their particular architecture and structure.

That said, I can’t really say I love his poetry. First, he uses few metaphors and is much more in favor of similes. He hardly makes bold and exuberant inventions like Shakespeare does all the time. He is very cold and calculated, and his imagery is generally the same as we see in many other poets (only he can be more concise and model the ideas better).

I also cannot appreciate his characters. They are generally there only to expose ideas or be examples of situations or flaws and virtues. Is funny that some of the most interesting characters are those that appear briefly, and not the main ones, like Dante himself, Virgil and Beatrice.

You are also constantly overwhelmed by aggressive judgments and opinions about all sorts of things, and all of it based in what Dante himself thinks about the world, which is quite annoying, especially when one realizes that Dante was an obnoxious individual. He puts people who offended him or were opposed to him on inferno, and elevate his relatives and people he liked to paradise. He had little comprehension and empathy for other humans beings, for the flaws and limitations of others, and so we never feel the same interest and warm acceptance of human drama as Homer and Shakespeare present them. The world according to Dante is a lifeless, suffocating, gray and bitter place: the joys of existence are usually irritating to him. Like many of the old testament prophets, he seems to hate other people and wishes that everyone should be as sour as he is.

I think Shakespeare is extremely superior to Dante.

>All the time.
Well then I envy you in that.
>Have you read The Waves? I don't think it's much easier than Ulysses.
I've read it, but TTL and Mrs. D are at least as good in my opinion, whereas Dubliners and A Portrait are substantially weaker than Ulysses. She could write simpler books with more potency than Joyce could.

> I'm definitely biased against Woolf because of how she reacted to Joyce, but I think her reaction perfectly exemplifies why she didn't quite reach Joyce's heights. It's because she never wanted to display life in all its vulgar mundanity.
She may have found him vulgar, but she also acknowledged his genius. I also love the way Joyce embraced the grittiness of life and I would go so far as to say Ulysses is the most ambitious, most expansive work of all literature. But for me, Woolf has a pure poetry that Joyce never quite matches, with just as much respect in handling the complexity of the 'great' human questions.

Hm I found it hard to believe anyone has such an extensive and wild internal dialogue as Bloom (let alone Stephen), but I guess I could be wrong.

>marina tsvetaeva

I did not know her. Thanks for the tip.

Can you name some good english translations?

Good post.

God-tier= Joyce
High-tier= Hart Crane
Mid-tier= TS Eliot
Overrated tier= Yeats
Shit-tier= WCW
Cancer-tier= Pound

>Even Joyce's stream of consciousness requires you to suspend some disbelief. When's the last time a walk down the street brought out for you such an avalanche of daydreams, philosophical thoughts, and mundane wonderings as it does for Bloom?
For me is always like that, but Im mentally ill (bipolar)
I think Woolfe made her SOC lighter because she knew she was mentally ill and figured out non-mentally ill probably have a more chill mind
Im not sure what Joyce's endgame was

As long as you agree with George Eliot being top, i'm fine with disagreement here.

>Thought it was a joke name

you mean like biggus dickus?

>He's somehow managed to judge Whitman by the utter shit moderns have been "inspired" by him to produce
This is the worst meme on this board

What's so- funny about Biggus Dickus?

Strong evaluation.

>Whitman is the inventor of modern poetry, he is literally G-d

(You)

bloom loves whitman tho

but Harold Bloom ranks Whitman among shakespeare dumbass, epic reaction picture proving you don't read anything

Man, bloomfags are the dumbest lot on earth, aren't they?

are you a bloomfag? if not, no

Nice job making the bloomfag look like a bitch

very bad post

nothing i promise

Fair enough to all of that. I guess when it comes to those two it will always come down to preference. It's just that I have a fairly strong preference for Joyce.

>He's somehow managed to misinterpret my post as saying this is a good thing, despite its entire point being to defend Whitman in spite of this fact
mmmm

very very bad post

I always have at least 10000023819286389172648237648273648273648273648237648273648 daydreams walking down the street piece of shit pleb, fuck you

DAMN. YOU. WALT. WHITMAN!!!

> "literal city rat"
> inbred

pick one

>> "literal city rat"

People in cities wallow in filth and scuttle about like rats. I can't see why you would be proud of this.

No, he's right.

Also, hello middle school English teacher.

>overrated = Plato

God damn psueds

>Dante
>overrated

>Whitman
>cancer-tier
oh man what a terrible opinion

That's not what I meant, I was merely pointing out that "city rat" and "inbred" are two completely different kinds of insults, one derogatorily referring to people from the city and the other derogatorily referring to people from the country, and thus cannot be used at the same time.

This is some pretty good bait

Why don't you like Catull user?

But is it wrong?

God Tier - Hart Crane
High Tier - Wallace Stevens
Mid Tier - TS Eliot
Overrated Tier - Keats (sorry)
Shit tier - Ezra Pound
Cancer tier - Ginsberg

God Tier - Basho
High Tier - Blake
Overrated Tier - Byron
Shit Tier - Bukowski
I don't believe in cancer tier

>Overrated Tier - Keats (sorry)

Elaborate pls

God-tier= DFW
High-tier= Scott Fitzgerald
Mid-tier= Douglas Adams
Overrated tier= Dostoevsky
Shit-tier= Tolstoy
Cancer-tier= George Orwell

Other than Robert Frost pretty much agree. Heaney's definitely overrated.

No he's wrong, you are another pleb.

If I look at the list seriously, it doesn't make sense. If I look at the list ironically, it also doesn't make sense.
Good job.