IQ vs. Grit. Who wins?

IQ vs. Grit. Who wins?
Rules
1. Grit guy has average IQ
2. IQ guy is restless when it comes to getting what he wants. He cannot stand defeat.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-7xvqQeoA8c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

neither

Gritty IQ wins

IQ wins every time

The only people that say IQ wins are pompous assholes than have never tried something that is genuinely hard. Grit wins everytime. I had some CS classmates who were as smart as me in uni, very gifted individuals, but upon reaching the point they needed to genuinely try and work to understand material, they quit. People who are used to working hard, or are able to, make it through. This is a part of the reason why there are so many college drop-outs. People coast by in highschool and never develop the grit nessesary to do well in college and in life. People who have intelligence but lack grit will either settle for low achievement, be defeated when faced with challenge, or develop the needed grit. Unfortunately, most fall in the two formers.

bump because I'm self-conscious

spoken like a true brainlet

This.

2, obviously.
If it was
>Grit guy has average IQ
>IQ guy is smart but lazy
It would be 1.

If you have enough IQ, you don't need grit

t. Mr. Where did my intelligence buff went?

Unironically, the guy with the better people skills.

>People who are used to working hard, or are able to, make it through. This is a part of the reason why there are so many college drop-outs.

This very hard. I think working during high school and having that kind of functional work ethic helped me not drop out. Part of college is failing but continuing to persevere through that. It's why the larger intro science courses (physics, orgo, bio) have such a hard increase in difficulty.

the mindset of the person who quits when they do fail

You...
You just described Rick from Rick and Morty...

O_O

leave

t. Autist who doesn't know what real life is and thinks intelligence is a magical power that gets things done automatically

>Someone disagrees with me on an anonymous shitposting forum
>Better call him an autist without real life experience
Keep your grit, you really need it

>.>
It is tho~

youtube.com/watch?v=-7xvqQeoA8c

Case in point.

~_~

Shoo, sub-human ledditors.

see

That feel when you are smart but lazy and wanna kys every day

Fucking nerds

:(
You guys are so mean to me

D:

*cries in onii chan*

This is 500% true.

Veeky Forums is just full of underachieving undergraduate students who shitpost to distract from their academic failures.

Grothendieck>some random dude from china or whatever who understood calculus when he was 4 and has an iq of 200>average iq "grit" dude

>Grothendieck
More like Grothendick, am I right?

Everyone I know that has had their dick stroked too much in high school for being able to do everything easily ended up becoming underachievers.

>grit wins everytime
Correct

People love to buy into the fantasy of a crazy genius who instantly understands everything put in front of him, no matter how intricate.

That fantasy can in turn be used to rationalize the behavior patterns associated with failures. For example, quitting when the going gets tough ("I'm not cut out for this"), or disparaging the grit of others ("he's not actually that good, he just works hard")

You're right, but that is not to say that you shouldn't stop riding when the horse is dead. In fact, there is a special kind of hell where you just feel one centimeter from quitting for good and starting a new life but then there is this whole partly conscious expectation from society and parents and your deeper self that scares you with suggesting that you would regret this irreversible decision.

Hey I always watched an episode of suits, the movie Lucy or even Limitless. The media makes me believe that there are lawyers who can memorise pages upon pages of restricted documents just by "accidentally" having a glimpse of it. People who can "unlock 100% of the brain's potential" and be able to see patterns so fast that they predict the stock market. Ain't my fault son, blame hollywood. They never want to show geniuses spending their train rides rewriting notes or finding perfect study locations.

>tfw smart but lazy

So I heard you like panic attacks.

How could you ever accomplish anything if you're a weak willed faggot who quits during times of trouble

At the end of the day it's high IQ people with grit who run the world so the point is moot

A lot of "geniuses" like to hide the amount of work they actually do.

I think it's based on ego mostly. It's actually one of the "48 laws of power" (a reasonably popular meme book). The idea is if you tell someone how hard you work, they convince themselves "I could do that if I wanted" and your great accomplish will be seen as less special

its not about ego, its about job security.

this engineering shit is EZ. its simple calculations and dicking around in software that is essentially minecraft on steroids. if the plebes knew how to do it, they wouldn't overpay me the way they do.

O_O

That's what Rick said...

>IQ guy is restless when it comes to getting what he wants. He cannot stand defeat.
Doesn't that mean that he has grit?

It means he can't handle sitting down and actually using his brain. He gets fucked up when the defeat he hasn't been experiencing all these years would hit him so hard it breaks him.

>48 laws of power
It gives absolutely the most counter-productive advice you can get. I'd rename it into "48 laws of humbleness".

Although I understand the premise of what you're getting at, I kinda feel like it's important to acknowledge the person with grit likely also has decent intelligence, too.

You have to recognize your weaknesses and how to improve in order to keep at something. That person may not necessarily be a genius, but my guess is above-average by that nature alone.

>do IQ test
>120-130
Still can't do shit because crippling education.

>if you don't study now you'll fail in college
>mfw college is just as easy

>implying they don't exist

Debussy Dickens and Rand

>implying you'll ever hit the jackpot in the genetic lottery
Really gives you more reasons to kill yourself.

t. brainlets who can't finish college without studying 24/7

Just because you were the smartest in your local high school doesn't mean you're actually smart. There are definitely people who can study a few hours a week and ace every class they're in, if you can't you're simply not smart enough. No way around it. This doesn't mean you should drop out but don't assume just because you can't do something, no one else can.
You people remind me of the people who go on an audition on american idol, sing horribly and then say shit like "my mom said my singing voice is beautiful"

Anyone who thinks IQ > grit doesn't understand how intelligence works. If you are not smart yourself, you must have met someone who is smart yet didn't accomplish much in life. Intelligence isn't enough. You need motivation to use it.

He didn't use his intellect as much as he could have done. He just did the shit that was easy for him.

And he still accomplished more than grit-fags.

>implying grades = success in life
I don't care if you aced every test back in HS or even college. I wanna know how much money you have made or what you have created.

No he didn't. Hitler, Obama, Feynman and Bill Gates all have lower IQs than him and accomplished far more.

>Hitler, Obama, Bill Gates
Luck fags.
>Feynman
IQ fag.

[math]\ldots[/math]

autodidactism breh

Guy with IQ
Grit is useful but ultimately it's just spinning your wheels
Doing it on ground with take you farther then doing in the air

I know, personally, a very naturally bright man with an IQ of 183 (verified) - he works at a grocery store as a clerk.

I also know of a hardworking man with an IQ of 115 (verified) - he is a Ph.D. Physicist.

I'm not saying IQ doesn't matter, but maturity and diligence are far more important.

Now, when you get high IQ, maturity, and diligence together - that is when the magic happens.

No one implied anything like that. If anything you are like those American Idol fagots. Go project so where else, nigga.

After I badly fucked up undergrad and took time off, I got grit, went back, and finished. Suddenly I was being persistent with e-mails, showing up again, and actually following through and making sure that people were doing what I needed them to do in order for me to get what I wanted out of life (graduation). I knew that the earlier damage was done and irreversible, but I also knew that I had to have the stupid piece of paper out of general principles and sheer pride.

I can remember dad being concerned in a vague way, when I went back: "math is hard, very techincal stuff." And I was rusty. I can remember one of the first homeworks my time back in an ODE class, and I got productively angry and pissed off at the thing; I bashed it out and did fine. Got on the dean's list again that semester. Got a good study routine down.

THAT SAID, grit obviously doesn't win, despite the fact that it was personally important to me. Grit is the brainlet-fall-back which is supposed to balm the feelings of dumber people. "Oh, but I have street-smarts though." "Oh but I have emotional intelligence." This is the nonsense that's under discussion. At least I see things for how they really are.

>graduate who can't write properly
>thinks he's not a brainlet

Life is cruel sometimes.

>who can't finish college without studying 24/7
thread is about actually achieving something not just "finishing college"

failures do tend to cast a "few hours a week" as "24/7". after all they usually put in 0 effort then need desperately to rationalize the success of those who actually bothered to finish the homework

Not that guy but nothing in his post suggested that he held himself up as being a very smart person.

That YOU noticed.