2017 To Read List

I've unconsciously neglected reading during the past two years, so I've decided to read 10 books in 2017.

I haven't read many of the great novels I see in the usual Top 100 lists.

I like clear, minimalist, to-the-point prose like Hemingway's Old Man and the sea. I've also a penchant for overtly violent and horrific stories, like Books of Blood, American Psycho and Stephen King's older novels.

So far I'm interested in:

For Whom The Bell Tolls
Child of God
Blood Meridian

Can anyone recommend any books I might like? Non-fiction is good too.

Also post your 2017 reading lists.

>10 books.
>The only three you listed are short.
>Pleb-tier.

Read the Iliad, The Odyssey, then end with a selection of works from the Russians.

I'll read all of Dostoevsky, Shakespeare, Sophocles, Homer, possibly some Hesiod, Ovid and Joyce.

No wait that's for the end of this year my bad.

>clear, minimalist, to-the-point prose like Old Man and the Sea

Then you don't want to read For Whom the Bell Tolls. Read The Sun also Rises and A Farewell to Arms first, as well as Men without Women or any other short story collection by him. Then check out FWtBT if you're still interested.

That said, Iliad + Odyssey is good, add to that shorter works by Dostoevsky (Penguin double edition of Notes from Underground and The Double would be good).

Then I would recommend Dubliners and Crying of Lot 49 (for something a little different). If you like horror add some Lovecraft (any, really, Shadow over Innsmouth is a good starting point) and Thomas Ligotti. Check out George Saunders' short story collections (Pastoralia, In Persuasion Nation) for something more modern.

Me for 2017:

Some Plato (prob. up to Parmenides)
Some Aristotle (prob. up to Physics)
Dosto's great four
Ulysses
Shake's Sonnets and some plays (Lear and Othello at least)
Some Kant (Critiques)
Some Nietzsche (Tragedy, Gay Science)
Some Heidegger (Being and Time)

The World as Will and Representation
Crime and Punishment
The Brothers Karamazov
The Idiot
Anna Karenina
War and Peace
Satantango
The Blind Owl
The White Guard
One Hundred Years of Solitude
Das Kapital
A different translation of the Master and Margarita

But if we're really being honest I will probably just read Satantango, re-read The Master and Margarita and maybe get to One Hundred Years of Solitude because I'm a pathetic fucking idiot.

my goals for 2017:
more plato/aristotle
finish the bible
finally finish Finnegans Wake
I want to reach fluency in French, so I want to read lot more French.
more poetry in general.

I've set a goal of 26 physical books or 52 works (the reason for this is that I have a lot of collections and complete editions so 1 book actually contains more).

Some of these are going to be read before 2017 but my current plan is:
>Iliad
>Odyssey
>Histories
>Lotr trilogy
>re-read Stoner
>Lolita
>a bunch of short novels from Oxford library of short novels

Obviously I'll read more than this but these are the ones I have planned.

thats some top tier nerd shit

You could read 10 books by New Year's.

I've been putting off reading as well
I have a ton of books on my shelf I need to read
Although I did read the Avatar the Last Airbender comics (good shit btw)

I'm going to use next year to fill big gaps in my reading. I have some stuff on my shelf I gotta get through and then I'm jumping in to all the starter stuff I've never read.

>Anna Karenina or W&P. Will hopefully finish one by end of this year and start the other immediately after.

>The Iliad/Odyssey.
>Ulysses.
>Demons/The Possessed.
>The Idiot.
>Resurrection (Tolstoy).
>Oblomov.
>Dead Souls.
>Master and Margarita.
>Fathers and Sons.
>Mrs Dalloway.
>The Waves.
>The Divine Comedy (at least Inferno).
>Blood Meridian.
>Lolita.

Basically a lot of the meme list from 2016. I'm fairly new to lit, so i'm just going by the list at this stage - but will be reading a lot more of the Russians.

Its so comfy knowing that I will be finished with university next week. I'll have all the time in the world to read for at least three months and possibly more (depending on when I find a grad job and when it starts). I studied my ass off the past couple of years and I will finally have free time to read for enjoyment.

me for 2017 - divine comedy, 1001 nights, kant

>people are already making plans for next years reading list
>I haven't even read the 15 books I said I would
I know it's stupid to put that limitation on yourself but the idea was to get me to read more. Anyway hopefully next year I can finish infinite jest, Anna kareina, for whom the bell tolls, some dostoevsky short works, and the portrait of Dorian gray

>iliad/odyssey
>rest of DFW's stuff (alread read IJ and PK)
>Ulysses
>Finnegans Wake
>Bottom's Dream
>The Recognitions
>Jerusalem
>The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Klay
>Pynchon
>Russian lit
Since I'm a total loser nobody I will have plenty of time to do all of this

Please read Notes From the Underground before going into any of Dostoevsky's four major novels, if you haven't already.

Sounds like you would like Bukowski.

My goals:
War and Peace
Don Quixote
Ulysses
Catch-22

My plan is to actually read the books on my shelf instead of buying more after hearing about them on the internet

probably not going to happen though

this senpai

>Crime and Punishment
>Siddhartha
>The Stories of Breece D'J Pancake
>Butcher's Crossing
>Ficciones
>Winesburg, Ohio
>Wise Blood
>As I Lay Dying

jesus. why not rape his mother and fuck his sister while you're at it?

Do you lot really read like this?

I usually read everything by an author and then find another author.

>feel like a freak now.

>all that philosophy

I hope you're a neet or a genius

This is the best way if you know how to read. Reading widely is probably the best thing to do if you still think books are games and more reading implies some gamerscore

I've read TBK, C&Punishment and Notes already. That's why I want to read more of the Russians - because I like them so much.

He likes minimalistic writing. Are you scared of some drunk writer?