So how long would we last if the sun dissapeared....Let the responses begin

So how long would we last if the sun dissapeared....Let the responses begin.....

Define disappeared.

The planet will freeze in few years. If there are survivors after the chaos they'll either have to get used to live off what's available from earth-moon system, or figure out a way to get to a nearby star.

Ambient temperature near the Equator drops 30-40 degrees with

unless we end up on a collision course with a planet or asteroid the first big problem is keeping food sources alive, and the next is surviving the cold, plants will all die in a few days, herbivores a few days later, and so on up the food chain, I'd say we have 3 weeks max to make organize artificially lit/heated environments to keep a select few species of plants and animals alive, at first this won't be a problem and there'll be tons of them everywhere, but after 1-2 months max all the safe habitats that aren't guarded by militia will be raided by starving/freezing people and collapse. Within a year everything outside these zones will be dead, including all but probably less than a million people, but I'd be willing to bet the survivors would stay alive for the foreseeable future

Solar gravitation gone, poof in an instance.
We'd be, all of us, dead a few hours later, at best.

Okay, if it takes the light and heat from the sun 8 minuets to stop reaching Earth, what if we just travel away from the sun at 8 minuets per hour? We'll always be keeping up with where the warm is, so we'll never run out of sun.

If Global Warming (man-made or natural) is true, we need not worry about low temperatures anymore.

How do you imagine global warming works?

>space niggers steal the sun
>whatchu earf whities gon do about it?

>space niggers

>average of 8m20s for sunlight to reach Earth
>night begins immediately worldwide
>temperatures drop and continue falling

Maybe the general population would last a few weeks. People living in bunkers would probably survive as long as their food, water, and fuel stores lasted, which might be 18 months for some larger government facilities.

Dear Op, before the sun disappears, it mostly will become into a Giant red. So, the answer is easy, we will die "burnt". We will just die from high temperatures or Earth's magnetic field, made weak against solar explosions. If we dont die before the sun grows from a asteroid or global warming, or even a cosmic beam, we'll die no wonder from that.

Does this take into consideration that any comets currently hurling towards the sun will suddenly not be? Jupiter's pull will start pulling them but it will take awhile for their velocity to shift, so we have "rogues" zooming around that may hit us. Also the moon and inner planets

Would the Earth (and our entire solar system) also not be thrown out of orbit? Since comets would no longer be drawn into any kind of orbit around the sun, the chances of an object colliding with Earth are incredibly low, since both would essentially be flung out into space.

Mass panic within a few days.
Mass death within a few feeks.
Near extinction within a few months.
Loss of fossil fuel powered bastions within a few years if they fail to diversify into nuclear or geothermal.

Nuclear and geothermal powered bunkers could last a few decades, and perhaps indefinitely depending on how capable the people who make it in there are. Loss of genetic diversity will be a long term burden on our species. Nearly all flora and fauna will go extinct. Current livestock and agricultural species stand the best chance of survival. Most disease causing organisms will be iradicated too thought, so that's nice.

People would probably live in large caves/installations near the centre of Earth, powered by geothermy. We would have to evolve to withstand this. Eventually, with the gravitational lock of the Sun no longer in place, our planet would likely drift off and collide with something else.

That's not how evolution works, and that's not how space works.

>Mass panic within a few days
Try the first two hours, max.

low quality bait

could you explain how will it disappear? if it explodes like a red giant does, it would burn everything nearby it, yes including earth.

Why does nobody understand how fast the global temperature would drop? We wouldn't even last a day.

>Ambient temperature near the Equator drops 30-40 degrees with areas around the equator drop to near freezing every night

A pot of coffee doesn't cool off instantly if you take it off the element, user.

The oceans alone have enough stored heat energy that they wouldn't even begin to freeze over for months after the Sun's light stopped reaching us.

Less than 10m down in most places the mount of heat coming from the interior of Earth is more significant than the amount of heat coming from the Sun. 100m down and the temperature would remain stable for years as the surface temperature slowly continued to drop.

1km down and the rocks are warm to the touch, at that level of depth our only challenges would be to build a big enough facility to replicate all of our current industry and agriculture to an extent that we can keep a healthy population of humans alive, we'd never run out of ambient heat. Obviously it wouldn't be easy, and probably wouldn't be possible to suddenly have to transition to and survive.

With no sun, we die. Period. And almost immediately. We'll be lucky to "survive" through the week, but we'll lose consciousness from the cold long before then.

>instantly
t. "ive never made coffee before in my entire life"

It cools immediately. Which is why people refuse to drink old coffee, and why it becomes "old" 2-3 minutes after you turn the machine off. It gets cold very fast.

One night only.
Quite a long one, though.

Are you naked and homeless or something?

Fucking lol, have you never poured a hot bath and sat in it for a few hours? Shit doesn't get cold for a looong time. A cup of coffee cools off faster than a pot of coffee cools off faster than a warm bath cools off faster than a lake cools off faster than the oceans.

>1/4 litre of hot water cools off in a few minutes
>therefore the earth would cool off extremely quickly if the sun went out

what is the square cube law

what is 12 hours of night time

You didn't say "bath". You said "A pot of coffee doesn't cool off instantly if you take it off the element". Nice try.

>12 hours of night time
The only reason we don't freeze to death right now, is because the sun RISING signals the END of that 12 hour cycle.

Goddamnit if you're not giving this autism all you've got.

>You said "A pot of coffee doesn't cool off instantly if you take it off the element"

Which is true, it takes about an hour to reach room temperature.

>the temperature drops BY 30 TO 40 DEGREES EVERY NIGHT but as soon as the Sun starts coming up the temperature rises back up to ~30 degrees in a tropical environment

no

If the Sun stopped existing the temperature would drop to 'Antarctica in winter time' levels of cold, which can be staved off for a couple of months by the amount of firewood I have stacked in my basement currently. It'd last even longer if I chose to allow the room temperature to drop to about 5 degrees C and wear my winter gear all the time, disconnect the heat to everywhere in the house except the furnace room, pile up furniture and blankets and shit against the walls as insulation, and so forth. I wouldn't be surprised if I lasted long enough to starve to death instead of freeze.

Anyone who lived near a cave that went ~10 meters underground could hole up in there until they starved, which could take a while depending on how much food they brought with them.

Anyone who lived near an old or operating mine would be able to take shelter in there and not even need to wear a jacket.

The cold would eventually kill most people, but after the first wave of cold related deaths the biggest problem would be lack of food. Starvation would be what ended humanity, not hypothermia.

First off, it would take 8 minutes for us to notice anything was wrong. Then everything would go dark instantly, with only the stars creating any light.
At that time we would stop orbiting anything and fly off on a tangential trajectory. You could do the calculation (I cbf) but we would either enter into a new orbital system around a jupiter-saturn binary or we would be slung into a galactic orbit and become a planemo.
The former eventuality would possibly yield some hope. Ironically, we would have to ignite every combustible material we could find almost instantaneously and create a colossal greenhouse system to trap in heat.
If we end up in orbit of Sapiter, we would need to get very, very close to it to take advantage of the little heat that escapes the dense atmosphere. Hopefully we would then be at a decent enough orbital distance to be able to harvest the gas from Jupiter and Saturn's atmospheres, and the ice from Europa for water. We would also have a huge amount of hydrocarbon fuel from Titan, and metals/silicates from Io and other Galilean moons.
We would likely end up in a highly elliptical orbit, with a closest approach occurring every 50-60 years maybe. At which point we would have to be prepared to harvest colossal amounts of Ice, metals, hydrocarbons and thermal energy to do us for the next cycle.
The Earth's population would decrease drastically due to lack of habitable ecosystems and resources.

Cont?

Chances of a cosmic beam killing is are laughably low. Otherwise, you're right.

None of the planets would end up orbiting one another, because they're all currently traveling far above each other's escape velocity at their current distance. At best if for example Mars were to be slung along with Jupiter onto the perfect trajectory, it may encounter the Galilean moons and sling them onto a Jupiter escape, with the resulting momentum transfer putting Mars into an elliptical orbit around Jupiter. Eventually it'd circularize, but in the mean time the added tidal energy would reheat much of Mars' interior and may be enough to restart a few volcanoes or cause new eruptions.

This'd spell disaster for any life currently living underneath the icy crust of Europa though, as it would depend on tide-induced internal heat to drive vents that would be its only source of energy, and cutting off that supply would result in the winding down of those mechanisms and the death of all Europan life.

>cosmic beam

do you guys mean a gamma ray burst

They are travelling at the escape velocity for the current solar system. As I said, you would have to do the calculation. I wrote a simulator for the solar system last year, and I suppose I could spend a while simulating this, but as I said, I cbf. The hugely most probable outcome would be a planemo, but if the sun vanished at the right alignment, there (very slimly) could be a roughly collinear trajectory for Earth and Jupiter. The chances of all three bodies being in favourable trajectories is laughable though. I was merely exploring pretty much the only hope for survival in this eventuality.

Yeah, e.g. form a pulsar.

gamma ray bursts come from black holes eating stars, not from pulsars

Well X-Ray bursts from pulsars then. Or ion streams or gamma bursts. But as I said, ridiculously unlikely.

The only reason we can see pulsars is because they sweep us with their beams repeatedly, many times per second.

The beam of a pulsar is harmless. The beam of a gamma ray burst is quadrillions of times more intense and would be deadly from a range of several thousand light years.

Pretty sure he meant Fahrenheit.
>100 degrees in the day
>70 at night
There's nothing unbelievable about this.

Even so, the actual temperature drop at night is fastest in the first couple of hours after sunset, then slows down significantly until the Sun comes back up and the temperature starts to rise again.

Fair enough. Not a brainlet btw, did a full course on pulsars last semester but I''m drunk and forgotted.
My point still remains though, a gamma burst has a very ridiculously small chance of hitting earth with any kind of intensity. They are very rare.

I take it you're an astrobro?

But minus a sun, the temperatures don't rise again and continue to drop.

I know enough to correct a drunk guy who took an astrophysics course, I guess :^)

Right, but the key thing to remember is that the rate of temperature drop slows down significantly while the Sun is still many hours away from rising again. The vast majority of the cooling actually happens while the sun is still up and for a few hours after it sets. This is because the air can radiate heat and cool off quickly, but the heat stored in the surface of the Earth is released far more slowly. It can only escape by warming the air above it and by radiating heat as infrared light from the surface, whereas air can radiate infrared light throughout its entire bulk. This surface heat reserve would last for a surprisingly long time, and would act as a heat battery that would keep the atmosphere 'warm' for a long time. It may feel chilly but the temperature of the air would not approach the freezing temperature of water for several days.

If the Sun were to dissappear, the Earth would just use the solar panel light it had stored to propel itself where the light that was already there is going so we'd always stay in the warm

Several actually. Do you know much about dark energy?

Pretty interesting. I knew there would be heat trapped for quite a while, but unfortunately thermodynamics is a cruel mistress and we would eventually freeze without a heat source like the sun.

Yes, but consider that the vast majority of the Earth's interior is molten rock and iron, and that that heat isn't in any way affected by the Sun. We could probably survive for a very long time if we used geothermal power to stay warm and run hydroponic farms.

Yeah this would be a very interesting avenue of research, but as you know the geothermal energy of the earth is also vital to the functioning of the ecosystem as we know it. Volcanism and the hydrodynamical basis for the earth's magnetic field are both dependent of geothermal energy. If we exploited it to much we would eventually come to ruin anyway. No idea about the timescales though. I would bet pretty fast.

A greater issue would be our technological capability of extracting this energy.

earth freezes solid except pockets where geological activity brings internal heat to the surface. gases start turning to slush on the surface. the earth is flung through the galaxy. to either fly or all eternity alone and frozen or to impact into a star, planet, or black hole.

only hope of survival is for a geothermal power station and a massive enclosed habitat. though going outside would be extremely risky due to the extreme cold.

7 minutes

Assuming we got flung out into deep space and didnt hit anything significant.

Most humans would die, a small amount would be able to continue underground by using the suns core as energy.

Geothermal energy may as well be infinite. It could easily power our current energy needs forever. The problem is it's not practical in most places because you have to drill very deep to tap it. So other energy sources are far cheaper unless you're in an area with shallow magma pockets.
Deep underground bunkers powered by nuclear and or geothermal likely already exist as a general contingency plan.

Space is really empty. Earth wouldn't encounter an object that could hurt it for a long time.
Surface habitats wouldn't be realistic. Everything would be deep underground.

>Suns core as energy
I assume you mean Earth's core?
You're right about most humans dying. This would be a big problem highlighted in . Loss of human biodiversity would be a problem and could lead to eventual extinction if only a few hundred survive.

Most people here talk about what happens if somehow sunlight is blocked. If the sun would be really eradicated from existence all it's mass would have to be converted into energy. This energy would hit us in about 8 minutes and destroy earth instantly.

The question was that if the sun disappeared, not that it was eradicated.
If you want to be a pedant, imagine it was simply displaced by a few hundred light-years.

If we got that close to Jupiter we'd all be killed by massive tidal waves.

at least it would be a beautiful 8 minutes.