Integration tips

Brainlet here, trying to learn integration. I'm having a hard time with it. When someone shows me the answer to a problem, I get how they got that answer. I can see how someone could get that. But when I'm presented with a problem, my mind goes blank. I just can't seem to replicate that. Any tips or advice for me I could use to improve?

Other urls found in this thread:

math.byu.edu/~smithw/Calculus/Integral-Chapter7/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Integrate everyday.

I've been practicing everyday for a week. I can really only do the basics.

Keep practicing. Integration seems like bullshit at first but over time you get the hang of it.

>steps to stardom
>sit down
>concentrate really hard
>get frustrated you can't solve it
>concentrate even harder
>solve the problem 2 hours later
>finally allow yourself to take a breather
>rinse and repeat

Even when problems look similar, they have different step.

do you have a textbook?
Do a couple of problems every day, check your answer against the solutions (or an online integral calculator).
It will take TIME, but eventually you will see have the foresight to recognize which techniques will help & when

A little off topic but;
Can we get a mod or Janitor to change the sticky? Im tired of answering the same questions again and again

don't.
racial integration has NEVER had a positive effect on the surrounding society

kys

all ur trying to do is decompose the problem into something that has IT and its DERIVATIVE

it = 6x^3+5
its derivative = 18x^2

Kek'd

I can see that. I can see what has been done, but for some reason my mind just turns off when I'm presented with the problem and no solution has been provided.

Just make you a cheat sheet like this one.
Write down everything from 'e' limit to universal trigonometric substitution.

Because you don't know how to do derivatives properly. If your knowledge of derivatives is lacking, you're obvi not going to see that, e.g. arctanx/(1+x^2) is just u-substitution.

Do a shit ton of derivatives for 3 days and then start to work on integration again. Make sure you have the derivatives of your trig and hyperbolic trig memorized. It'll come. UC DAVIS has an excellent webpage full of integration problems and solutions. Work through those

Not OP, but does anyone know any online workbook or pdf or whatever for integration?

I know how to do derivatives, I pretty much got that down. Though admittedly I could probably do more with inverse trig functions which are really the only basic derivatives I haven't taken the time to memorize. I'm just brainlet I suppose.

OP here, I actually just found this: math.byu.edu/~smithw/Calculus/Integral-Chapter7/

I have to say I'm reading it and doing the exercises right now and I am actually finding it useful. I actually found something good for once.

Nigga, I tutor brainlets like you who are struggling with calc 2 and anytime I encounter someone who is having a problem with integration, it's ALWAYS because they're weak at derivatives. They always insist they're not, too.

Well dip shit, I actually am starting to get the hang of it now. I was just going about shit wrong.

Your example is a pretty ugly integral desu

No, it's a very convenient integral.

18x^2 being the exact derivative of 6x^3+5 should leap out at you and scream the correct course of action.