How much?

For $12 at a local library book sale at I picked up:
The Dharma Bums
The Hawkline Monster
The Dream of the Celt
The Executioner's Song
The Last of the Wine
and Middle C

I also manage to grab Mason and Dixon for $4 and Against the Day for $5 earlier in the year.

I don't understand why anyone would pay more in chain stores or online for the luxury of not having to scrub off sticker glue with nail polish remover.

Read Middle C it's really good and then I read every fiction book that Gass published. Before hearing about Middle C I tried reading The Tunnel once or twice and wasn't ready for it. When you're done with Middle C read The Tunnel and get comfy as fuck.

>Calvino
>Borges
>Edda
>Saga

I like your taste fella.

Tiny Orlando airport bookshop has all three for like 17 dollars each. Should I splurge? I sort of feel like I should be saving these reads for a trip to some dull village.

r8?

Most recent probably sideways

I didn't buy these, they were actually given to me by another Virago reader who was getting rid of some books. I got them in the mail yesterday.

Who the fuck would read that crap even in good condition?

jelly of all that taylor and renault

the new covers are shit but hes one of the best writers in the last few decades (if my opinion matters at all)

>new covers are shit

Could be a lot worse. Actually like the idea but seems a bit too gaudy and hip for the type of books they are.

I've only read Taylor's short stories published by NYRB Classics and enjoyed them very much, so I am looking forward to reading her novels

Are you one of those mysterious Girl creatures I've heard so much about?

yes

I started reading a some 30 pages of Gravity Rainbow but I think it'll take some years before I really feel I want to read the whole thing
nice hope you have fun

>the elder edda
fugg

i thought that at first but it's not too bad. Get a companion need be, I'm using some online one when I need it

>Reading Borges in english
user fuck's sakes.

Neat!

Though emotion is unavoidably transformed in translation, borges' work is mostly one of themes and ideas. Much worse to read translations of calvino.

Not because of that. But because OP can't seriously mean he doesn't know spanish. Isn't it taught at american schools?

Big mistake, it's a great read, worth every day of the many it'll take you to finish. The first 200 pages can be a bit slow (although I enjoyed them). Once you get used to the prose it moves a lot quicker too

Maybe OP isn't American?

i dont know where you got the idea that spanish is taught at american schools. im american and i could probably ask where the bathroom is in spanish but thats about it.

no cierto puto

>implying actually female
How was the TRANSition?

My recent pickups from the antiquarian bookshop. The authors will have to do for those of you who don't speak the objectively best language out there.

>Reading abridged books.

>implying anything is abridged in this picture

That man without qualities is split into 3 books.

Isn't this version famous for having edition errors?

Thought's on Schmidt?
I think I want to read him thanks to his huge totally-not-finnegans-wake thing but I rather start with something more manageable which would be a less riskier investment.

>The Recognitions
jelly

What is this baby Musil ?

Are all the books published by oxford good?

stay schemin boys

>virtual

But how do you tear out each page after you've read it?

for those of us with a stack, how long does it take to tackle it?

>tear out each page after you've read it
the fuck? why would you do that?

Most OUP editions hold a high standard.

To symbolize your brain's absorption and subsequent gradual loss of the contents of each page?

Well, that's fucking stupid.

rate, mate, but don't haste to hate

Judge me

catching up on req. stuff since I only recently really got into reading for fun

Currently on Portrait of the Artist, very good as of page like 150

A Finnish who speaks Russian?

i just got the City & the City in the mail today.
I can't decide if I'm jazzed or not to read it

Is there a name for a type of book that includes all sorts of pages in different structures?

i dont really have an example but i've seen books over my years that have tons of pictures, little paragraphs on each page, just tons of differently structured stuff on every page...almost like a massive collection of notes/graphs/ ect ect ect

Some purchases from the local library book sale.

>"objectively best language out there"
>roll my eyes and expect some ooga booga brownskin dogshit dialect
>turns out to be my native language

But my Polish is really bad: I only speak it with my mom, haven't read or written in it in ages, and don't know enough Polish literature to feel inclined to brush up on my grammar and rebuild my vocabulary. Is it worth it? I'm very comfortable speaking it, although only with very limited subject matter, and with fairly frequent grammatical errors.

Any recommendations for authors, especially easy books I could use to get back in the swing of reading Polish?

Dzięki!

lurk more

>ooga booga brownskin dogshit
I don't think that an edgy /pol/baby like you will have sufficient mental capacity for anything I might recommend.

top pleb

>is politically correct
>doesn't hate minorities

You know how I know you're not the Polish guy I was talking to?

Poruszająca historia.

No, thank you. I have better things to do with my time.

>what is google translate

Nie będę już odpisywał, ale jeśli szukasz polaczków o prawicowych poglądach to polecam raczej deskę o grach komputerowych. Niestety umiejętność biegłego posługiwania się językiem obcym działa jak dość mocny filtr na idiotów twojego pokroju.

Were you raised in Germany? Why are you such a liberal pussy if you're Polish? What a shame.

Sorry to burst your bubble but those are the standard views for anyone who decided to continue their education past high school and doesn't live in the fucking boonies.

>le everyone who isn't a progressive cuck is a hillbilly meme

Literally kill yourself my man.

>standard
>le everyone
Putting your hilariously low reading comprehension skills aside that's pretty much the case here.

>and don't know enough Polish literature to feel inclined to brush up on my grammar and rebuild my vocabulary. Is it worth it? I'm very comfortable speaking it, although only with very limited subject matter, and with fairly frequent grammatical errors.

are you me? i need to start working on my polish too, before i lose it completely. if you don't mind memes and can't think of anything else, the polish translation of "the stranger" was pretty easy to go through for practice. otherwise i guess there's contemporary adult lit, which is likely going to be shit in every language it's written in

You can try reading something by Kapuściński or Stasiuk, they are both very good and largely non-fiction with fairly simple writing styles.

much obliged user, thanks! i'll check out what work of theirs i can find on libgen

If that fails you, check out chomikuj.pl you will have to make an account and there are some bullshit download quotas but it's a top tier repository of ebooks in polish.

Nice.

thank you! i've heard of the site before but i was under the impression it was mostly bunk files. i'll look up the authors you mentioned there.

>meme

It's a schoolbook, I'm learning

>stack in the background

>Edgy.

>When you side with left-wing liberal political opinions and advocate for the poor and low educated masses, but call others dumb hillbillies for having different opinions to you.

Back to your containment board.

Why do you need that much headache medicine?

>containment board

We president now.

ketä oot

Drinking Sinol's :DDD

>doesn't read poetry in it's original language
Why bother?

Saturday day medicine's :DDD

Kauppisen Pete tässä moi

You look like a girl.

I'm behind the camera

That's her sister

What the best way for organizing a personal library?

>abridged edition

Judged

Are you the quilter, or is it a spouse?

Nice to see someone else into both books and quilting, if the former.

Your mom's basement looks nice. You should have removed the sowing machine before taking this picture though.

me. patchwork is for a couch cover. all out of denim.

lol. its my private study. work in progress. back wall is full of books too. cookbooks all in kitchen, old vintage books on display in living room. (worried about these being exposed to sun though, need to find a good place to store - any suggestions welcome.)

There are benefits to aging - like being rewarded for hard work, and having nice stuff.

Things can be shitty, (especially for the /lit types?) but work hard towards your goals, and make a rad place for yourself.

sewing

D-did I do good?

Put them in hermetically sealed boxes.

Wew lad, you're really stupid

>Put them in hermetically sealed boxes.
Not worth having then.