Using FH boosters to launch SLS

youtube.com/watch?v=d2200YGSeKM

How viable is it, Veeky Forums?

>Falcon Heavy booster cores are already configured to handle transferring their thrust to a center core
>SLS core is already configured to handle thrust from either side, currently from two 5-segment solid motors
>Simply have two sets of two FH boosters transfer thrust to a common bus structure, which then transfers thrust into the SLS core structure exactly like the two solids would
>Increased booster Isp overcompensates for lower initial thrust and results in increased deltaV/payload for SLS
>failure mode of the SLS no longer includes chunks of burning solid fuel destroying capsule parachutes
>Falcon boosters are cheap compared to all other launch vehicles in their class, probably comparable to the solids already slated for use

Apart from congressmen not allowing Orbital ATK to lose business, why wouldn't this be an option?

>inb4 rockets are not lego
Obviously changes would be made but they would be relatively minor.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_C-3#Pyrios
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_(spacecraft)#Spacecraft_Lunar_Module_Adapter_.28SLA.29
youtube.com/watch?v=ONP9jS14toE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ksp is not real life

Hence why I'm asking if this is viable in real life, and not in ksp.

I can't see any reason it wouldn't be viable, but neither was designed to work with the other and vibrations can always surprise you.

Something similar is under consideration, with the Pyrios concept of using modernized F-1 rocket engines from the Saturn V:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_C-3#Pyrios

9 Merlin 1Ds have about the same thrust as an F-1. They also solve the Pyrios problem that acceleration may be too high near the end of the burn for the SLS core to take, since not only is Merlin 1D throttleable, but some of the numerous small engines can be shut down.

It'd also be cheaper than Pyrios, since we wouldn't have to build an entirely new production line for an ostensibly new engine, which would also need to be developed and tested. The tankage also already exists as the Falcon Heavy side booster, pic related.

I agree about the vibrations being an unknown, but surely the 5 segment solids will be producing some powerful vibrations on their own. In fact switching to using 36 Merlin 1D engines on four booster cores may actually significantly reduce the overall vibration compared to two large solids.

All I can see that would need to be developed from scratch is the booster bus structure, which would be a comparatively simple structure for transferring the loads across into the core.

pic related, oops

>your moms dildo finally arrives from amazon prime

>ejects fairing AFTER TLI

stopped watching there

the average /v/edditor has the intelligence of a rock

are you really surprised?

well I guess thats the interstage or something

It's not just a fairing, but also a support structure, so the lunar module doesn't have to bear the weight of the command/service module:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_(spacecraft)#Spacecraft_Lunar_Module_Adapter_.28SLA.29

Why are you building a rocket in the spaceplane hangar

So it's sideways probly

but it won't launch

original and funny joke good 1 user

The guy who made this video showcased the rocket in the SPH then moved it to the VAB to launch from the pad. Duh.

>SPH
>NTR
Why is everything in space named after terrible fetishes?

At least post a real mission next time.
youtube.com/watch?v=ONP9jS14toE

That looks like a giant cigarette.

Thanks. I got a chuckle out of it m8

>...and the capsule sank into the ocean. There were no survivors.

B-but I like SRBs