Gives off as much ionizing radiation in ten seconds as you naturally receive in years'

>gives off as much ionizing radiation in ten seconds as you naturally receive in years'
>"not harmful"

Pick one. CT scanners are unregulated, unquantifiable, cancer causing death sentences that should be reserved as last resorts in life or death situations, yet they are given out like candy.

Other urls found in this thread:

lmgtfy.com/?q=ct scans overused
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2672242/
cancer.gov/news-events/press-releases/2012/CTpediatricLancet
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_officer
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A single 7 mSv chest CT scan to a 21 year old man will give them an increased cancer risk of 1 in 1273, and a abdomen-pelvis CT scan will give that same man an increased cancer risk of 1 in 636.

This is somehow considered "not harmful" by the entire medical community.

Got scanned by that thing 4 times in my life due to health issues.

Whats the worst thing that could happen?

Right Veeky Forums ? R-right ?

What scans were they?

>ALARA

Wow, you brought the dose from 5 years of background radiation in 10 seconds down to 4 year and 3 months worth of background radiation in 10 seconds? Wow, thanks!

>Be me
>Might have an aneurysm
>Could pop at any minute
>Vs. 1 in 1273 chance of developing cancer.

ALARA.

You're just an exception. 99% of people are not getting head CT scans to check for an aneurysm. They go to the ER saying they have a bad headache and are nauseous and they get a CT.

Sure thing buddy.

Spine, heart and twice for the brain.

What isn't poison, disease and death?
They're a product of the same people who cook up drugs so when you're old and in emotional/physical pain, your brain will be mush and you won't feel anything.

You have an additional cancer risk of 1 in about 500.

I guarantee you wouldn't do something if there was a sign that said "There is a 1 in 1,000 chance this will kill you"

>Don't do something 1 in 100 chance you die
>Do do something 1 in 1000 chance you die

Real hard choice there senpai.

Also it's not even dying, it's "slightly raised chance of developing cancer".

As I said, you're an exception. Most people do not get CT scans from their doctor for something serious like that.

do you have evidence for that?

lmgtfy.com/?q=ct scans overused

>and a abdomen-pelvis CT scan will give that same man an increased cancer risk of 1 in 636.
im fucked =[

inconclusive evidence

>The original journal article and subsequent news coverage stated that one-third of CT scans are medically unnecessary, needlessly exposing millions of patients to high doses of radiation. However, the “evidence” on which this statement was based was insubstantial. In an ad hoc survey conducted during a panel discussion at a meeting of pediatric radiologists, a speaker mentioned that he felt 10% of CT scans were not medically necessary.7 He then queried the audience, which responded that up to 30% were unnecessary. Aside from the fact that this was merely a casual inquiry, these are not the people making clinical decisions about patient care.

>10-30% = 99%

you can't average up to the nearest order of magnitude with percentages, you absolute village idiot.

marinara: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2672242/

Your risk of cancer is almost 1 in 2 in your whole lifetime. I don't know why people think some increased risk of 1 in like 100 to 10,000 is even worth thinking about. your chance of dying from heart disease or cancer is like 1 per 300 people just in 2014.

Personally, I had a head CT, sort of a lower dosed one at 1.5 milisieverts that I later found I would not have gotten if the doctor talked to me for another minute or two. I can't do anything about it after the fact other than be mindful when a doctor wants me to get CT in the future and tell them I don't want it unless it's absolutely necessary or whatever. I don't think that one scan is going to kill me or affect me in any way, but I still wish I didn't get it since it wasn't necessary.

Stop vilifying extremely useful medical diagnostic tools. When I shattered my ankle recently, the doctors could only diagnose properly after a CT scan. Which also revealed two broken metatarsals and a crack in another ankle bone than previously assumed from four angles of X-ray.

Whether the US health care system is skewed towards liability over necessity because of a bloated private litigation industry or not, is not the fault of a highly useful technology. It's like saying cars are dangerous because you can't force people to wear seat belts, absolutely absurd.

17 % of people have aneurysms in their brain, regardless of age. Most aneurysms never rupture.

There would be no adverse effects from shooting ionizing radiation at your ankle. OP is talking about scans of your head, neck, chest, abdomen, and pelvis, where there are lots of radiosensitive organs just waiting to have their atoms hit by some x-rays and fuck their own shit up.

dude asked an audience how many they thought were necessary. That 10-30% isn't even valid, like i said, inconclusive evidence.

I agree, the point was that even actual estimates from a pediatric radiologist aren't near what the village idiot claims. I don't disagree that there is inconclusive evidence, I am merely pointing out that what exists is in another direction entirely.

I didn't know, thanks. I still cover my balls whenever doing x-rays, though.

>Might have an aneurysm
Says who, retard? Someone on my mothers side had an aneurysm. Does that mean I should get a CT of my head to see if I'm going to have an aneurysm too? moron. Do you have high blood pressure? buy a fitbit and go for jogg every day then asshole. You don't need to blast your head with months of radiation just to get an answer to something that didn't even matter.

ah i see, thanks

>There would be no adverse effects from shooting ionizing radiation at your ankle.
I'm not in the anti-CT crowd, but that statement is completely retarded. There are many metastasizing cancers that can be caused from ankle radiation. If just one cancer cell enters the bloodstream and avoids an immune response, congratulations, you are now cancer-ridden.

Might have (present tense) in the sense that he was experiencing symptoms conclusive with it.
Your reading comprehension a shit.

cancer.gov/news-events/press-releases/2012/CTpediatricLancet

>Despite the elevation in cancer risk, these two malignancies are relatively rare and the actual number of additional cases caused by radiation exposure from CT scans is small. The most recent (2009) U.S. annual cancer incidence rates for children from birth through age 21 for leukemia and brain cancers are 4.3 per 100,000 and 2.9 per 100,000, respectively. The investigators estimate that for every 10,000 head CT scans performed on children 10 years of age or younger, one case of leukemia and one brain tumor would occur in the decade following the first CT beyond what would have been expected had no CT scans been performed.

What the hell dose do they even use for a CT scan of someones ankle? probably not a high dose. If this keeps you up at night, I'd go for a walk or something, because you'll probably have a higher chance getting hit by a car and dying on that walk than you would getting leukemia, or any cancer for that matter, from a CT scan.

how true are these posts

It's too bad that has literally never been shown in any study. You need to have a lot, and I mean a LOT of x-ray photons hitting you all at once for you to get radiation-induced cancer, or a high background rate for years and years.

That's the price of knowing what up with your retarded body, OP

Take it and stop being a wuss, you won't die (of that, you'll die of whatever horrible brain damage it was that caused you to make this thread)

Reading comprehension bruv. Of course the chances are extremely low, I was never arguing that.

B-b-but muh raydiashun!

There are familial syndromes predisposing to aneurysms and a whole host of other reasons why someone would be at an increased risk of having an aneurysm. If it's known it can be treated and they won't fucking die. Please refrain from posting about shit you know nothing about.

Albinos

So that means if 500 people did it 499 of them did not get cancer?

Seems worth it

it also means that out of the 70,000,000 people getting CT scans each year, something like 30,000 people will get cancer from them, every year. that's like a town of people.

>these are not the people making clinical decisions about patient care
>doctors are making clinical decisions about patient care
>not clinical decisions about their malpractice insurance
i worked in a hospital radiology unit for 7 years. every mother fucker who came into the ed with any complaint of a headache, present or past, or any numbness or tingling, present or past, got a head ct, because the docs know that they won't get sued for cancer in 15 years, but they would get sued if they missed the 1/100,000 low symptom bleed. the worst was when some 2 year old bumped their head and didn't even have a bruise, but hypochondriac parents would rush them into the ed any ways, the kid would get scanned, but they'd fight so much that nothing useful would come out, so they just got bonus radiation with no benefit.

tl;dr-in 50 years people will be horrified by how we throw around radiation

isn't it disgusting? i'll never go to the ER again for any problems unless i'm literally dying and it's via ambulance. fucking head CT scan.

Do you have any opinion on the dangers of x-ray radiation, particularly CT scans? Do you think even a single scan is deadly?

yo don't say that man. my neighbour died in his sleep cuz his heart stopped. why did you say this now i'm panicking. death is scary :(.

sarcasm duly noted, but in 7 years i saw literally thousands of unnecessary cts. fortunately i'm in a family of healthcare professionals, so i can make educated decisions about my care. unfortunately the combination of a litigious society with an under-informed population leads to undesirable results for many others.

all it takes is 1 cell in the wrong place to freak out and you're fucked. odds are slim, but why take it for silly stuff. especially since you don't know what scans you'll really need down the road.

i'm not being sarcastic dude. I really wish I didn't get the scan. it wasn't necessary at all.

my bad. tone's difficult to interpret in this format.

You're not a fucking child, you're allowed to say no to having the scan if it makes you this upset.

>all it takes is 1 cell in the wrong place to freak out and you're fucked.

lol what an uneducated way to put it. radiation is indirectly ionizing. you can't get a double strand break without two x-rays hitting the same cell which is why you need mega doses to get cancer from radiation, or a high chronic dose so you go through slow mutations. both are easy to avoid and a CT isn't going to do it. ask any medical physicist this stuff and they would explain why medical imaging isn't that dangerous in comparison to most things in life.

most people don't learn about it until after the fact. most hospitals don't warn you or anything.

> ask any medical physicist this stuff and they would explain why medical imaging isn't that dangerous
>medical physicists don't have a vested interest in the idea that this is safe

Why would they care...? They would be stars in the scientific community if they came out and said they were dangerous and that nobody should get them unless it's a life or death emergency. They would be blowing the top off a huge industry and probably be in a history book for it, at least a medical history book. Your paranoid logic isn't sound.

stay the fuk outa tanning booths too. lay the fuk that on murahka........

>not having your own personal CT scanner
>not drinking RadiThor on the daily
get a load of this guy

Thats basically the only reason to go to an ER. its what ER's r For. If you're really like having an emergency, i.e Life or Limb. So if its not Life or Limb; QUIT WAsTING the fuking ER's fuking time! Anything less than a sucking chest wound is wussy stuff so quit wasting the ER's time and stay the fuk home.

or they'd be blackballed and ostracized, and only years later would people go, "oh, yeah, dr. so-and-so was right..."

and i'm not some antihealthcare conspiracy nutjob (my kid got all his vaccines), and i believe that cts can be a critical, life-saving diagnostic tool, when truly indicated, but i also believe that they are overapplied by doctors without real medical reason to avoid getting sued into oblivion.

you can't sue a doctor because they didn't want to give you a CT. Doctors deny patients CT scans all of the time.

not if you're just a hypochondriac you can't. but if a doctor doesn't scan someone who ended up needing it you can bet the family will buttfuck them out of everything they can, whether or not it was reasonable to order a scan based off what the doctor saw. so, scans for everyone!

doctors have malpractice insurance. they don't care even if you were to get that far.

>doctors don't care if they get sued

Mfw some shitty houseman attempted to send a patient with a metal nail in his body for an MRI. All housemans should be gassed desu.

Sure son. You can always raise the population and make it look bad. Say, maybe you should be a lawyer, so you can protect me when this happens alright?

lmao

What the fuck is a houseman?

that's nothing. I've had PET scans with contrast medium injected. I've had actual radioactive isotopes injected into my body.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_officer

that'll get the nail out in a hurry. probably not kind to the machine either. he should be fine as long as a major artery or vein wasn't knicked.

Are you worried?

How the fuck wouldn't you be worried, literally a 0.33% increased risk at 20.

Yea but that's just a small chance. More likely it'll damage a multi-thousand dollars medical equipement and cause even more damage to the patient since at that point, the nail was already quite near the spinal cord. Holy fucking shit, I'm fucking glad that piece of shit got kicked out.

I can't tell if this is serious or not.

not terribly. if the cancer appears. I'll make the VA pay for it since the PET scan that caused it was when I was in the army.

I was also in Japan during the 3/11 Fukushima earthquake/tsunami/nuclear meltdown. so I probably inhaled some more alpha emitters then too.

Equipment*
Sorry, I'm feeling really drained.

Just remembered that shit costs 600,000 USD.

a .33% increase is pretty huge when you consider that adds up to an extra guy for every 300 people getting cancer.

it really isn't. if you're not obese/don't have diabetes/no major family history of cancer, you're not going to be that one guy.

ER doctor here

100% chance your dumbass sues me if I don't scan you and miss something important that can kill or maim you.

Scans for everyone until medical malpractice is done away with.

being an actual doctor, what do you think of the risks associated with CT scans?

In a hundred years we'll see this as leech treatment.

>yet they are given out like candy.
They're not. Maybe in burgerland docs practive defensive medicine, but you're not real people anyways.

>xkcd meme posted in a serious discussion
You opinion goes in the garbage where it belongs.

CT scans are dangerous, but they're also a life saving tool.
Depending on your age, the type of scan and the potential danger it might or might not be worth it.
Many times it is, and many times it isn't. Tough luck.
One thing that would be nice is to replace all non-emergency CTs of young people with MRIs when possible.

It sucks knowing that you might get cancer just because you're poor, and I've almost been there.

>given out like candy.

You have been watching WAY too much tv, kek

>CT scans are dangerous

prove it

>implying a doc would know shit
ask a medical physicist

[math]Read^{[1],[2],[3]} ~~~a^{[3],[5]} ~~fucking^{[4]} ~~ ~book^{[m][o][r][o][n]}.[/math]

any medical physicist would tell you it isnt dangerous. literally this

Wow you're right you just stumbled upon the conspiracy of the century I bet if we look a little more closely at medical records we will find that 95% of those given Ct scans became sterile and Jewish MDs are 3x as likely to order a CT scan!!!

>should be reserved as last resorts in life or death situations
i thought thats what the ct is trying to fīd out wtf

:O!!!!!

anyone that argues that CT scans aren't deadly simply had one and doesn't want to believe they cut their lifespan in half in like 10 seconds.

>argues

or you just know what you're talking about and can explain why they aren't that dangerous. hoy shit a fucking roller coaster ride is probably more dangerous you moron.

>They go to the ER saying they have a bad headache and are nauseous and they get a CT.

This was me once honestly. Slipped on ice and hit the back of my head hard. Next day woke up in the middle of the night with the worst goddamn migraine of my life.

I had one and I died QED faggot.

Dumbass should've gone to the ER right away

same dude. fell and hit my forehead. was having nausea and dizziness with photosensitivity and a headache and shit. went to the ER and got a CT

>nothing is wrong

pretty damn annoying.

>has never been X-ray'd by 50's ussr 15 meter long rusty contraption that made scary sounds and failed to start 4 times

I'm fine but I do have suspicious amount of moles though...

Those could be tumours user. They could be benign too, hopefully.

no. the moles would be an indication that he is more cancer prone