Hello Veeky Forums

Hello Veeky Forums,

It's currently 9F here and it's only going to get colder as the night goes on. Looking out my window, I noticed this bird that appears to be bundled up and chilling. It didn't even react to my accidental camera flash so I am not sure if it's sleeping or what.

Regardless: how the fuck is this thing going to survive the night? It's cold as piss outside and it's going to remain this cold for the next 2-3 days.

Is this little fella going to die?

>Is this little fella going to die?
Eventually, everything dies

If it didn't react to anything, maybe you should consider capturing it and bringing it inside for the night.

Someone please tell me that birdbro is going to survive the night. I'll capture him and put him in my basement if I have to.

Why do you care so much for this bird OP? There's plenty of them flying around constantly making more of themselves. What's one bird to you?

Fuck it. I am going to Walmart to buy a bird cage and fisher's net. Will report back when birdbro is safe and sound in my heated basement.

Birds are very surprisingly hardy to the cold. As long as it has food it'll be fine. Capturing it will cause stress which can actually kill a wild bird.

Put out food and warm water. Change the water when you notice it's frozen. Birb should be okay.

Sincerely,
/an/

Yeah, I'm amazed at what they can put up with. Must be pretty cozy inside those feathers.

Saw a hawk on a very cold and very windy winter day two months ago. Wisconsin, wind chill -20. He's just floating there, riding the wind like it's nothing. I'm wondering why he isn't flash frozen. "Because feathers" doesn't really seem to cut it.

It's extremely cozy soft and floofy.
I hug birds. Don't judge me.

Anyway, the bird in OP is at maximum puff and is probably completely fine.

Literally because feathers. There's a reason why we use down as an insulator in clothing. It's probably even more effective when still attached to the bird.

is this weather typical for your region, or an extreme outlier? because if it's typical the bird will a) survive if it's healthy, or b) die f it's unhealthy.

Did you do this?
I hope you didn't do this.

>2017
>Killing birds by trying to help them.
Shig.

A parka is filled with down and is wind proof. It's thick and traps a lot of air. I don't see how a thin cover of feathers would be as effective. Also, when a bird is flying, it's surface area to volume ratio is very high. Perhaps bird metabolism is very high as well?

By fluffing up its feathers as you see already to create thick insulation. Then by burning fat stores until morning.

Don't breed.

Birds have more feather cover than you'd think, the outer feathers are very wind resistant, and during flight the added surface area is all flight feathers, which don't significantly conduct heat away from the body.

>Is this little fella going to die?
Hopefully. The little shit is either consuming my o2 or shitting on me.

Holy fucking shit bros he came back

HE SURVIVED

define "death"

>bird who's species' habitat extends through regions that get down to -20 or lower
>op is surprised it survived a night of single digits
are you that fucking stupid, or that fucking specialized that you're useless everywhere else?

fuckin brainlets,will they eber learn?

I don't understand how such a small animal can survive those temperatures.

THE MAD MAN IS BACK

should be fine imo.

t. christ cuck

stay warm little birdie. Glad to see you've lived another day.

Maybe instead of asking "why can birb survive so well in the cold?" you should be asking "why can human not survive in the cold?"

Humans are a tropical species. Our opinions about temperature are effected by our preference for 20 c temperature. That bird would probably think your house is uncomfortably hot

Oh, is that a female cardinal? They're pretty good at surviving cold. Have some that hang out by my house.