ΔT P→∞

>average room has 600 cubic feet of air in it at 70F/295 Kelvin, room temperature
>compress that to 60 cubic feet, it's now 2950 Kelvin
>use a radiator to equalize the temperature with 60 cubic feet of liquid ammonia at 295K
>store the liquid ammonia in a vacuum flask at roughly 1.12 * ((2950-295)/2) = 1486K
>your 60 cubic feet of air is now (2950/2) = 1475K
>decompress the air to 600 cubic feet, it's now 147.5K
>you have a vacuum sealed tank of heated ammonia to cool at your leisure somewhere outside
>release the air
>room is now -100F

Am I missing some reason this wouldn't work?

2950 kelvin is pretty hot, second turning a room into a trash compactor for cooling is nuts

The idea is to make a "portable" cooling unit that wouldn't need a duct to the outside. This thing would likely weigh 1000 pounds, but it would achieve that.

>room is now -100F
do not want

without bothering to read much into what you're proposing i'm sure that you've underestimated how efficient compressors are, and like the other user said 2950 K is hotter than you think it is too. you'd need a huge amount of energy to do this, far more than a standard cooling system.

How the fuck will you have anything in that room. Everything will be broken when you come back in. Stupid mother fucler.

Maybe a lower compression ratio, and do it gradually, then. Do you mean I've overestimated? I'm not sure it would take all that much power. A 150 PSI compressor is quite commonplace and doesn't take that much power.

Obviously the idea isn't to cool a room to -100F, this is a proof of concept. Messing with the ratios could determine how cool the room got, and allow a smaller volume for the heat sink.

Done it.

Now I need to experiment with different materials, find ones that can feasibly and efficiently absorb that much heat, and that a vacuum vessel exists that could hold them.

no not possible, get out

I need an element or a compound that can remain liquid at room temperature up to 2200 Kelvin that doesn't require insane pressures to do so.

Any ideas?

Thankyou for your contribution

>made a visual basic program just for this
Nice
This is bait, right?

I prefer it to Excel.

Why would the gas heat up when compressed and cool down when decompressed?

I thought with compression you would get the same amount of mols at the same temperature, just with a smaller area, meaning higher pressure.

Gay-Lussac's law. That's just how it is.

pretty sure you are going to hit a phase change somewhere home skillet.

Yeah, that's why I'm looking for another material unless having a 5000 PSI tank is feasible.

Gas expands when heated and compresses when cooled. It doesn't heat up when compressed or cools down when it expands.

Besides trivial details like the melting points of various materials, the huge amount of power required and all around impracticality, yes, user, it is possible.

I believe you have just discovered the principle of refrigeration.

>anons that don't know how their fucking refrigerators work.

Gas molecules try to stay far away from each other, and collide in (semi)perfect elastic collisions. When they are brought closely together, heat has to be generated because the rate of their collisions (measured as the pressure), increases and leads consequently to a higher T (simplistically via the noble gas law). If you place the system of higher collisions (high P conferring high T) in a location of high T conductance, like say, a series of copper pipes that run in a serpentine fashion along the back of a big white box, the heat is released and the rate of collisions goes down, consequentially because the actual kinetic energy of the gas molecules is now lower. Once the gas molecules are placed back into a large volume area, their low kinetic energy doesn't go up spontaneously, because that would break the first law of thermodynamics, and subsequently, less collisions and lower kinetic energy, confers a lower average temperature.

This is literally how your fucking fridge works. How are you morons the fucking science board?

>How are you morons the fucking science board?
It's the math brainlets (and wannabe math brainlets) shitting up the board again.

You've never used deodorant before?