Expanding Universe vs finite universe

I'm not saying that the universe isn't expanding, however I just simply can not fathom how it is even remotely possible for this to be true, when I really think about it.

Imagine the following in your head

>your body is moving through space
>you are the size of jupiter
>travelling at light speed
>eventually arrive to the exact point at which the universe is literally expanding and moving outwards(the edge of the universe)
What the hell would I see?
How can something expand if there is nothing behind it or outside of it?
But then again, the universe cant be finite because in order for it to have an ending, there MUST be something on the other side.
Not sure If I'm making sense, im half asleep and this has been messing with my head for awhile now.

Other urls found in this thread:

accelerating.org/articles/transcensionhypothesis.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The universe is homogenous. You will only ever see galaxies and galaxy clusters for as far as you go. There is no "edge." A finite universe is bounded only in higher dimensions or is complexly connected (3-manifold or whatever). Or the universe is infinite. Take your pick.

>take your pick

Whether its finite or infinite, None of them make sense. Imagine seeing the edge of the finite universe. Imagine seeing the edge of the infinite universe

Tl;dr this

It doesn't matter what you can or can't userstand. It's a proven fact that the universe is expanding.

I can't see or travel in 4 spatial dimensions so I don't need to worry about it. Get the idea of "edge" out of your head. There is no edge in the way you're thinking.

I clearly said I'm not saying it isn't.
Did you read the post properly?

"Galaxies are but specks of dust inside a raindrop that has hit the ground and is spreading out in all directions like a wave."

- user 2017

That analogy inplies there is in fact something outside the raindrop

Which there must be.
Even nothing is a thing.

The raindrop is the observable universe, not the entire universe.

No.
The observable universe is the limit of our telescopes.
The observable universe is still relatively still and observable.

The rushing wave of creation that is still expanding is what I speak of.
And when it is done expanding?
Slow down.
Stillness.
Then a slow recede...
and a big crunch.

I am telling you about the fundamental of the entirety of this universe.

The universe isn't expanding outwards into something else, thats what people don't get. As concepts of "space" doesn't apply outside the universe. Rather, the distance between any two points of the universe is simply getting bigger.

PREACH BROTHA

The real question is...
Can you outrun God?

^-^

Top kek. Even if there were a finite matter in a void from a origin location (which there isn't), the speed of expansion of matter is beyond the escape velocities of gravity. Dark energy has all but ruled out a big crunch scenario.

Which it would be. Gravity is relative to greater cosmic forces at work.
We are defined by our central black holes in our galaxies....

For now....

So srs question here, how does time dilate for distant supernovas if it's the space that is expanding and not them moving?

Slightly unrelated but I didn't think I was worth starting a thread about:
Is there any difference between a universe of finite size, but with infinite divisions (such that you can keep subdividing measurements infinitely) and a universe with infinite size but a "smallest" subdivision?

It could be a finite point and perceived space is extending inwards. It's the only reasonable explanation.

ugh, so many misconceptions.

>eventually arrive to the exact point at which the universe is literally expanding and moving outwards(the edge of the universe)
The universe is not expanding at the "edges" it is expanding everywhere. Space itself is expanding. You won't notice this because gravity keeps all the matter in a galaxy from spreading out. The only way to see this is to look at objects very far away which aren't being significantly affected by your mass.

>How can something expand if there is nothing behind it or outside of it?
Expansion refers to the points of space getting farther away from each other. It has nothing to do with anything "outside of space."

>But then again, the universe cant be finite because in order for it to have an ending, there MUST be something on the other side.
No, that makes no sense. Also, the universe hypothetically could be finite without any borders, if it wraps back around on itself.

Space is not like things in space. Just because it's common to make an analogy between space and a blanket or whatever doesn't mean you should expect space to be like a blanket in every respect.

Imagine this more as stretching. Right now the space between galaxies is stretching so there is more space between them, thus they are getting more distant. It is like the galaxies are moving away from each other.

Velocity of these movements accelerates and since it is not real movement, but just space stretching, it can exceed speed of light. Which means these galaxies can't see eachother any more forever.

Point is if you travel too far somewhere, you might end up in complete darkness from which you'll never escape and noone will ever reach you because you are would be moving away from everything else at the speed greater than light.

>end up in complete darkness from which you'll never escape and noone will ever reach you
Feels very comfy tbqh.

Why did the tiny point of the pre-Big Bang universe suddenly start expanding? And where did it come from?

Science, bitch, hell yeah!

Did I answer your question to a satisfactory degree?

>dat Illuminati ability

Holy fuck that's bonkers.

>The observable universe is still relatively still and observable

No, it's expanding away from us in all directions. In just a few hundred billion years, it will be expanding away from us faster than the speed of light and "the observable universe" will consist of only our galaxy.

No-one knows.

The word "universe" means everything. There is not one amount of volume that doesn't have some form of mass or energy occupying it regardless of the scale.

There is no end to it.

>go into darkness with no return
Would the """easiest""" way to do this be accelerating as close as possible to lightspeed and therefore live long enough to see the expansion of spacetime overtake the speed of light everywhere?

Kek arose in the primordial darkness and spawned the universe - with the goal that in 13.8 billion years some clumps of hydrogen with general intelligence will develop this website and dedicate numerals to him as sacrifice.

It would probably be easier to just jumping into a black hole. You'd get to see the Universe end, shortly before you did.

Hadn't thought of that.

>expansion of spacetime overtake the speed of light everywhere
Don't know if that really will happen "everywhere" as in Big Rip scenario. Like galaxy itself is tied with gravitation which can overcome the stretching.

>None of them make sense
You're an upright walking monkey whose entire evolution can be summarised by "how to kill things and put penis in vagina on the rocky planet where I live". Questions like "what happens beyond the visible universe?" or "what was there before spacetime?" are outside the realm of human intuition.

What about the points in between those two points?

So basically no matter how far in the future and advanced we get, we'll never be able to leave the galaxy?

Distances where gravity is weaker than dark energy are all moving away from each other. The largest scale structures that are gravitationally bound are local groups. That's as far as we'll ever travel.

accelerating.org/articles/transcensionhypothesis.html
They all laughed at him.

There are portions of the universe that we will never know about because they are receding away relative to us faster than the speed of light. the "faster than light laws' only apply to matter moving through space and not space itself. Space is not so much expanding at the "edges" like a bubble but more so expanding at every point. You can imagine this by representing 3d space as the 2d surface of a balloon. Imagine you glue pennies to the outside of this balloon and start to blow it up. The penny closest to you is receding away from you at a value I'll call x. the farther away you get from the original penny the faster you recede because every point between you is expanding. Distance and recession speed are directly proportional.

Because of this there is a certain distance away from us that we can never know about because the space itself as a summation between you and the unknown is expanding faster than the light is traveling towards us.

Modern physicists have excepted that we can never react that 'edge and we will never know what it looks like because not even our light can reach it. this is known as the observable universe.

Another aspect to your question could be answered by understanding the modern speculations of the shape of the universe. It has been proven to not be the 'bubble' that I get the feeling that you are imagining it as and would serve well to research if genuinely interested.

All I've been able to conclude is that space wants to contract infinitely, so the default state of existence is the singularity, and it exists because I exist to observe it. I am god FTW