Bolaño shilling thread

Bolaño shilling thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wYi_hq2p1Ac
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How are the English translations? I don't speak Spanish and am not sure about the quality of work

Three volume edition masterrace reporting in.

Some passages of 2666 are really good, but the books isnt even finished, it seems like it had 0 editing
TSD, some great passages, other ones really drag, the interview like structure is nice, some characters are great (the nazi, quim, the journo at the end in áfrica)
7/10
Havent read anything else from him, are any of his shorter novells better?
I think I like Bolaño, he had talent but people really over hype him

I like how TSD is kind of a picture of the south american scene now days, a fucking mess of artsy try hards with more mental illness than talent
Sorry for my bad english

I read it in Spanish senpai
Nah you've read his greatest works arlready. Nocturno de Chile is short and good as well.

The art is really nice in that one
Are there any spanish editions with that desing?
Mine is lame, pic related

Hnng

I like that Archimboldi's part has seaweed in the cover

What about the nazi literature and amuleto?

Haven't read them

Im really close to end the crimes part but im already tired of it
The part inside of the jail was great tho
Is the last chapter worth it?

Native spic here
I read a passage of 2666 in english and it seemed pretty good
It was the one when norton is like tripping of peyote but not really

Yeah it's the best one

Ok nice thanks thats all I needed to hear

We will never read his best work
rip mariachi pynchon

Thanks for sharing that, user.

There's a vintage spanish edition.

Are all of FSG's books this beautiful?

Didn't this book have one sentence drag on for like 20 fucking pages. Or was that just bad english translations? It's been a while but I remember the beginning of the book just being uninteresting as hell.

I would remember that if that happened

>you will never be a degenerate bohemian fucking hot poetesses left and right

>implying im not

The beginning is the worst part

Gotta link, bro?

I am going to read The Savage Detectives and then 2666. I don't know much about Latin America literature, what should I keep in mind when I read them?

Alfaguara is in Spain too? Damn

Where to cop?

Im Chilean, it is here, dont know about Spain
You should probably read 100 años de soledad before

Amulet was ok but i think he already incorporated the best parts into SD from that.

Yeah it is

Talented hack

Alfaguara was spanish since the beginning. It was founded by Camilo Jose Cela. They got sold to Random Penguin recently tho.

Not him, but I actually did read 100 años de soledad (translated to my language ofc lul) before I read the savage detectives (same language translation). There was some time between them, so maybe I'm not stupid and just forgot something, but why do you recommend reading 100 anos first?

Are you sure you are not thinking of The Autumn of the Patriarch?

>2666
A masterpiece of contemporary and/as well as mexican Veeky Forums
>Savage Detectives
Ignore that for a while and read Llosa, Rulfo, Marquez, Borges, Asturias, Carpentier

Most of the action happens in Mexico but I wouldn't call it mexican Veeky Forums since it was written by a chilean living in Spain...

Because I think it is a pretty good intro to latin america lit :)

Hence my trepidation in assigning it that label. That said his description of the lives of the women working in duty free factories in the part about the murders should fetch him accolades as a champion of the mexican working poor.

His short stories are really really good. "Clara" is in category of GOAT

Why not?

Will check it out
Borges was right about novells desu

Ese buey en mi país, no es nada

Disagree ... I read SD then 2666 ... was a good progression.

Bolaño is Chilean user, Though he spent plenty of time in Mexico and plenty of his stories and novels take place in the city (The savages detectives by the way depicts quite thrutfully the life in Mexico's city with "intellectual groups".

Weird, I thought only Anagrama had the rights to publish Bolaño... I know the Alfaguara owner's son, i should ask him if I he can get me this.

Why is everyone sleeping on this thread?
Yeah that changed recently, dont know why

What was Cesarea Tinajero and what was the point of her gaining shit ton of weight? Why did she leave DF, and why did she die? I wish I could do even simple analysis.

>What was Cesarea Tinajero and what was the point of her gaining shit ton of weight?
I guess it acted as a reality shock for the guys who had romanticized the idea of her

Is this the spanish Blood Meridian? If so I'm sold.

Thats what I thought too, but was that really the only reason? Seems so obvious. Also earlier in the book I believe she was described as not being beautiful and wearing not fashionable clothing so I thought those things already decreased the romanticizing.

It's not really similar except in that they share a theme of human brutality

Alfaguara made a deal to republish all of his work plsu some new unreleased and unedited stuff.

There's a big theme of the ultimate loss of rebellion and the inevitability of surrendering the fight at the end of the book. The biggest instance of this in the book is in the last chapter about Lima when he shakes the hand of Octavio Paz. I guess Cesarea being a fatass in the middle of nowhere represents the same idea but representing a previous generation of idealism that's ended up in a big nothing, the same that happened with the infrarealists.

>Why is everyone sleeping on this thread?
Siesta i assume.

youtube.com/watch?v=wYi_hq2p1Ac

That makes sense. I read the book too slowly and scattered to always remember what happened and when. Maybe sometime I have to read it again.

Me irl

amazon. com/2666-Spanish-Roberto-Bola%C3%B1o/dp/0307475956
there you go

yee

That isnt the three volume set, it doesnt exist in spanish.

shill'd
that sucks