Worth reading?

Worth reading?

It's worth reading, but it'll drag on because it's so poorly written. Neuromancer is a prime example of "right idea, poorly executed"

Okay. i'll give it a miss then. Thanks.

No. It was awful writing, boring characters, 80s action movie plot and is 200 pages too long for what it offers.

What's a better cyberpunk book then? I heard Snow Crash...

My buddy just recommended neuromancer and the first chapter was difficult to get through ;_;

Snow Crash is actually even worse.

It's great if you like retarded gibberish prose.

Why don't you read it instead of asking fucking Veeky Forums?

You know you're going to get elitist pseud-answers from the people here.

Case in point:

Neuromancer gets harder to read - the first chapter isn't even that hard so if you struggle with it don't bother with the rest. If you're not an avid reader and the kind of person into tech but just going into reading because it sounds cool, it's not for you.

If you want an easier read that you might like and I think is a bit easier to get through try Altered Carbon.

Fuck off retard.

my trips are of truth

Snow crash is entirely ironic btw. I liked it, but Stephenson's prose is autofellatio and Veeky Forums thinks it's just tripe. A bit easier to read, but only really works if you've read a lot of cyberpunk - it's entirely ironic and tongue in cheek (protagonist called Hiro Protagonist, etc).

butthurt

i liked it

Being fair, the next two veer towards being more trite and less interesting concepts being introduced, but the writing improves drastically. Neuromancer is still the best in the trilogy.

When you hurt a pseuds fee fees

It's all right as is the prose. Better thank Frank “Betrayed” Herbert’s at least. Keep in mind that many of the ideas presented were not commonplace as they are today. The second and third novels aren't as good since there's less focus on the characters and the novelty has worn off by then.

Worth reading as a historian. Terrible novel otherwise.
Still has some fanboys among people who only read shlock -- the very occasional bit of non-standard prose has them easily impressed.

Is this good?

Yes, Dick always takes you for a short, trippy ride.
It's not amazing, but it's worth checking out.

Nice troll. Neuromancer is unenjoyable, and it's solely because of the prose.

Still can't believe some think this is better than Oshiis Ghost in the Shell. Executed many of the same ideas better and without the techno orientalism

Neurmancer was okay enough,but its interesting ideas drown in its soupy prose. Snow Crash is goofy fun,and all over the place stylistically. I liked it a lot,but if you want something more cyber-steampunky,I reccomend The Diamond Age.

its ok, bit wonky but if you want to read about a drugged up loser guiding a fit girl on missions this is the book for you.

fantastic.

I consider it essential 80's sci fi reading. It's established a lot of tropes which we are still seeing today. As far as prose, it is stylish, which some people either love or hate, as this thread shows.

Snow Crash is awful. Every page is just "I bet you thought that last page was extreme"

>If you're not an avid reader and the kind of person into tech

Into tech? This is the book where hacking is riding a shark through cyberspace.

that fucking cover

Gold, right? They don't make 'em like this anymore.

What's difficult about Gibson's books? I have way more problems with Sterling

Nothing, really. Veeky Forums is just wrought with rampant and endemic haterism.

It's great. Definitely among the best SFF. Prose's execution can get grating (everything is fat; typical 80s burger) but in actual style it's admirable.

Ridiculously fast&easy read, so just go through it if you're interested.
Nothing. I don't know how you'd find it difficult even if you were really new to literature.

Agreed

Is it just me, or did it become really jumbled and confusing towards the end?

Yes, but there is much worse

The last half of the book is incomprehensible, from a structural/syntactical point of view. It didn't have to be like that.

The finale is awesome. I thought the beginning was the worst part because it focuses too much on the boring characters.

great book cover

being into tech isn't a requirement at all. gibson was a retarded hippie who didn't understand technology at all

The fuck you on about? The ending is perfect. The whole build in tone from earthy seediness at the beginning to spiritual heavenliness at the end is God-tier. It's Count Zero that has the garbled, anticlimactic shit-tier ending.
Pleb.
Pleb. My dad was one of the first people who got into commercial internet, in the 80s, and he was surrounded by people (himself included) jizzing bucketloads about Gibson's work.

ur dad was a pleb. Gibson=trash.

Brave thing to say faggot when my dad could beat the shit out of yours.

DELETE THIS

I gave it a go some time ago but never finished it. I found the concept interesting but not what I expected given its praise. I currently don't have any plans to pick it back up

It's just messy pulp that isn't even fun. Only recommended as the obligatory cyberpunk read.