Algebra II has to go

slate.com/articles/life/education/2016/03/algebra_ii_has_to_go.html

>girl sucks at math
>thinks she has the authority to write on why calculus and algebra should be removed from high school

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/sVHIh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

archive this garbage

archive.is/sVHIh

>giving Slate/Medium/Buzzfeed/MotherJones/etc clicks/attention/a thought

this is where you went wrong

a shitty blogpost under the guise of journalism is still a shitty blog

>I showed the book to my husband, Andrei, a computer programmer who loved math in school. He scrunched up his face. “People don’t use Shakespeare in their jobs, but it’s still important for them to read it,” he said.

>“It’s not the same,” I told him. “Reading fiction builds empathy.”

>“Math helps us understand the world around us!” Andrei replied. “Like how derivatives demonstrate change over time.” He smiled, and I could tell that for him, it was all clear and beautiful.

>But I had no idea what he was talking about. In high school, I found math so indecipherable that I would sometimes cry over my homework. I don’t think I ever understood what a derivative signified 15 years ago, when I was struggling my way to a low B in calculus—a class I was convinced I had to take to pad my college applications.

All of this emphasis on empathy in modern society thanks to women is literally the cancer of the West

>“Reading fiction builds empathy.”
What a load of bullshit. Reading fiction is soulless escapism teaching you to avoid empathising with people in the real world.

Women don't even understand what "empathy" really is. They only demand empathy for their own desires while having none for others.

Dana (((Goldstein)))

Reading fiction helps speculate what the world might be if the parameters were different.

In a similar vein, much literary science fiction is an attempt to see aspects of our own society through fresh, more objective eyes..

Aye

I'd say they're hypocritical about it. Pick-and-choose your empathy as opposed to being consistent and practicing it with everyone and everything.

>Reading fiction is soulless escapism
Try cutting on YA and genre trash and reading something worthy, edgelord.

>it's too hard for me so let's get rid of it and make it harder to differentiate good students from bad students

Yep sounds like American education

This woman needs to be put down. There is no way her IQ is over 80

>High school Algebra
>Abstract math

HAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

>Dana Goldstein
/pol/ is always right, isn't it?

I would have agreed with this article in 6th grade, but as we all know women don't mature past that age

>The reason I hated math, was mediocre at it, and still managed to earn a bachelor’s degree was because I had upper-middle-class parents who paid for tutoring and eventually enrolled me in a college that doesn’t require math credits in order to graduate.

Tell me a girl scientist replied to this comment and restore my faith in the female sex. PLS.

>doesn't understand fucking derivatives
>got a B in Calc
Is this the famous American grade inflation?

>Like how derivatives demonstrate change over time.
>derivatives
>But I had no idea what he was talking about.

How can someone be so fucking dumb.

I don't think articles like that are relevant enough to warrant a reply from anyone.

literally just a jew trying to dumb down the goyim

Yup, everyone got a 4.0 GPA because every kid is special.

>someone trying to make education shittier
>it's a jew

This just make me question the american education system and its "innovations" even more.

>I don’t think I ever understood what a derivative signified 15 years ago, when I was struggling my way to a low B in calculus
>doesnt understand derivatives
>low B
>burger education

And I thought our system was getting dumbed down

Fucking Jews, man...

Reading fiction doesn't build bridges and laptops to type out her drive.

Also,
>Doesn't understand derivatives
>Still manages a B
REEEEEEE

While this woman is fucking retarded thinking literature is worthless is prime brainlet behavior.
I was at a conference in january where I stayed with a literature professor, and she and her friends understood abstract concepts from my research way quicker than the average person at my university. Both are well worth the time and makes you less of a moron like this woman.

Why is it so hard for people to accept that they just suck at some things? Self esteem is overrated.

I blame social media.

Low self-esteem can be almost as bad as too much of it, though. I struggled with it and it's not very fun

Solving problems doesn't always require you to understand them. She probably just brute forced it, like so many other high school students.

How do you brute force math? Write down all possible answers?

Memorize formulas, recognize when to use them, plug and chug.

This
/thread

>slate
Why do you take liberal Breitbart seriously?

>tfw calc2 and don't know what a derivative is

i just know I do thing and get derivative of thing

If you read the post, she doesn't actually say we should stop teaching "abstract" math and ends saying that maybe the problem is teachers that know jack shit teaching children.

I don't know how the US school system is organized? Does algebra 2 even fall under pre-calc?

Every. Goddam. Time.

It usually goes

Algebra -> Geometry -> Algebra 2 -> Trigonometry -> Calculus

Though if you weren't a retard, you'd have done Algebra, Geometry, and Algebra 2 in middle school, and Calculus and Multivariable/Diff Eq. in high school.

Richfag detected. Most public schools in the US only give you the option to do Algebra in middle school.

If you have motivation, you can learn that shit for yourself.

Hardly, my middle school was in a public district in the suburbs. Half of our school was probably on Title I, judging by the ethnic composition.

Most middle schools in my area offer at a minimum Geometry, and if they don't offer Algebra II, you take it at the local high school.

I don't know whether that cunt is right about algebra II being unnecessary, but if it is, then there is no need to keep it. It is pretty hypocritical of her to say that reading Shakespeare is important for everyone, while saying knowing math is not. I fucking hated literature in high school, and I don't give a shit if it marginally improved my ability to empathize with people (check out this bullshit study that shows that x has a very insignificant positive effect on y). Her husband is a count too with his "people should study things that are not related to their profession because muh broadening their worldview or whatever". If I wanted to learn everything that can be useful to some degree, I would literally have to live for a ten millennia.

> The reason I hated math, was mediocre at it, and still managed to earn a bachelor’s degree was because I had upper-middle-class parents who paid for tutoring and eventually enrolled me in a college that doesn’t require math credits in order to graduate.
>enrolled me in a college that doesn’t require math credits in order to graduate.

Holy fuck famalamadingdong.

> The situation is most dire at public colleges, which are the most likely to require abstract algebra as a precondition for a degree in every field, including art and theater.

Holy shit. We better start gearing up or else a theater major is going to school us galois theory.

>Most CUNY students come from low-income families, and a 2009 faculty report found that 57 percent fail the system’s required algebra course. A subsequent study showed that when students were allowed to take a statistics class instead, only 44 percent failed.

>She is using this as a case for why teaching statistics would be better

Why not teach instead Wiping your own ass 101. There the passing rate would be 99.9%

Kek I also thought this. I can't get my head around how people can have such a poor understanding pf what "abstract" means. For some reason abstract=hard for these fucktards.

>when I was struggling my way to a low B in calculus
she still earned a B...? whats the fucking problem

>reading fiction builds empathy
>can't empathise with someone who enjoys calculus
oh am I laffin

It is really fucking annoying that the math people fight with the literature people over who gets to show their bullshit down everyone's throat citing the different insignificant benefits of learning x, instead of realising that people should not be forced to learn shit that is not relevant to their field at all. I didn't like studying literature in school, but I would never call people knowledgeable in a field I know nothing about retards.

The fundamental problem I have with not studying math is that if math had not been mandatory, I may not be majoring in math right now.

I think about this a lot, actually. How would I know I was good at math and "belonged" at a university for mathematics if I had not learned its core basics as a child?

And don't get me wrong, I hate 99.9% of school mathematics. From basic arithmetic to the algebra II she so despises. I hated all of it. In fact, the only bits of mathematics that caught my interest were some quick stuff we did with sequences and basic calculus in 11th and 12th grade. Those are things that made me google more mathematics and ask questions and read books, etc.

In a perfect world, I would prefer if only those fun bits were taught to me but how could I appreciate those fun bits if they had not taught me basic algebra first? If they hadn't taught me how to add and substract first?

So yeah, what I am saying is
GAS THE LITFAGS
EDUCATION WAR NOW

The problem is that she doesn't fucking know what a derivative is and got a B. The fucker should have failed.

>I’m not alone, it tells me—lots of smart people hate math.
o i am laffin
couldn't even finish reading before I had to post this one

>derivatives
>change over time

I'm the same way and I totally agree with you. I would have never realized that math was my calling if I hadn't been forced to slog through bullshit math for a while. Still, it is interesting to think about how we can teach math at the low level in such a way that doesn't alienate people. As crazy as it sounds, I think we should laregly drop the algebra sequence and tech that as a two week into in ones first calculus class (which most do anyway) and replace that with set theory, group theory, etc, things that don't require any real background to start up. These subjects are honestly about as useful to non-math people (more useful to math people) as algebra ... but they are also fun and beautiful at times. Also, this would make the core math curriculum largely independent of prerequisites so kids who failed one would be held back a whole year.

Math education in the US really is garbage, though. I don't think that there's really anyone who actually thinks that it works well.
Education in general, really.

Proof that women avoid STEM because they don't like hard work, not that they're being discriminated against. Why would you work your ass off in school when you could make nearly as much money by smiling behind a reception counter?

>doesn't understand what a derivative is
>gets a low B in calc

american education, folks

What is this algebra II? Is it actual abstract algebra, like rings, groups and such, or is it some basic shit like 2x+y?

>The course teaches more fundamentals ofalgebraand includeslogarithms,parabolas, otherconic sections,trigonometry, andexponentiation
Do americucks really think this is hard, super abstract shit made to fail students?

It is the most intuitive for most people to begin understanding what a derivative means. Not a bad example desu.