Frodo's epic

I must write an epic tale (in the style of Homer and Virgil) on any character of my choice, and I tought of Frodo Baggins, since I love The lord of the Rings. Any ideas how to make this hobbit more epic?

There were no immortal assholes sulking handsomely, IRRC

reddit.com/r/books

You just want to talk about the eagles dont you?

Fine. What if the Eagles had just taken them to Sauron?

Well, maybe, the eagles could be considered an epic element, since they are supernatural beings, but if they take the hero directly to his goal, I think it diminishes the heroic values of the protagonist, wouldn't you say?

Make him limp. Explore his character and find a flaw, that'll make him limp. Like, for example, how he died a virgin despite spending a lot of time in Rivendell with all them sexy elvesses.

Yeah, the fact is, in the story, he is limp/flawed because he clearly failed his quest, and the ring would not have been destroyed without Gollum's intervention. Anyway, I want to do the contrary, I plan to make him more heroic than he is in the story (plus he doesn't take part in the wars!)

>Like, for example, how he died a virgin despite spending a lot of time in Rivendell with all them sexy elvesses.
My desire to know more is increasing.

I think there was an Oedipal interpretation of the Galadriel thing. A childlike character offering a ring to a tall woman, who would become very bad if she accepted.

Oh, that is quite interesting, I never heard of such psychoanalytic/freudian point of view of The Lord of the Rings!

Give him a 13 inch cock.

Protip: Shelob is female pubic hair.

Well, I don't think the professor would approve of such details...

What?! I would never have seen it that way, but now tat you mention it, it makes sense

The Lord of The Rings IS the epic tale about Frodo Baggins. Maybe you should consider a minor character

Well, it's too late to change now. Plus, it is true that Frodo is an epic hero since he is brave and represents the English people accomplishes great/surhuman deeds and has supernatural help/ powers. However he lacks epicity in the war field (I'm refering to classical epic topoi)

Plus, at the end, he fails his quest, being corrupted by the ring.

That's right at the end. I meant limp ALL THROUGHOUT his EPIC. Epic is about the journey, not the destination, therefore the results of the goals achieved at the destination matter only in the form of poetic resolution. So yeah, Frodo is such a loser that he gives in for good right at the end only to lose a finger AND his will.

This. Your project sounds dumb.

>people actually taking this thread seriously

Frodo is a christian hero, which means that his heroism is based on repenting guilt, not being incredibly excellent and also an immortal king.

I honestly think Gollum is one of the most tragic characters in literature.

And yes, I consider LOTR literature. Fight me, faggots.

Oh yes, how can Oedipus compete?

Once he reaches the white shores, he embarks on his true courageous quest: embarking on his gender change.

The eagles actually did take Frodo to Mordor in the book. The Lord of the Rings book was split into three movies, so to stretch the story, Peter Jackson decided the Eagles wouldn't take Frodo to Mordor, and that making the journey on foot would be a much more dramatic experience.

One of the most.

One of.

There are minor characters in One Piece more tragic than Gollum.

kys

>people actually go to college to get this type of baby work

You have to understand that when I mean epic hero, it's not based on modern or christian standards, but on ancient greek/roman standards. Frodo is no Achilles or Aeneas, if you see my point.

Here are the caracteristics of ancient epics:

Religious / Wonderful

- Destiny - Presages - Prodigies - Nekuia / Catabasis (descent into hell) - Discussion between the gods - Divine interventions

Warrior / Heroic Domain

Diagram of battles - troop deployment - description of forces (land or naval) - fight [noisy] - aristies - wounds - divine interventions - deaths - funeral honors

Ekphrasis (detailed description presenting various scenes often alive) - a weapon (shield) - a monument - a painting (painting or sculpture) - a tapestry, an embroidery ...

Ethical / Ethical Area

Do not forget the characteristics of the hero: - belonging to a community - no solitude (as in tragedy) if not prototypical - supposed representative qualities of the nation (piety, courage, bravery, strength, intelligence)

You're only right when you're talking about classical epic. There are certainly plenty of cristian (roland), pagan (sagas), and plebeian (ulysess) epics around, each with it's own set of rules. Lotr by itself could well be an epic simply by only following Frodo. Things that he does are epic in nature. Ring is straight out one of the best items in epic literature, and he gets to be the one that destroys it. Few things get better than that.

OP can well rewrite Frodo's journey and change his language a little, and work is done. The main thing about epics is not the hero, and what he does, it's how he does it. Tolkien wrote is as a slowly building romance, but the background itself is epic, the ending as well, the tools as well. Everything could simply be rewritten as a classical epic. The main thing is to know how to write it as an epic, not what it encompasses. Everything must be a huge achivement. Every small tool a glorious machina, and every deed worthy of a weeks worth of willing maidens.

Explore his autism and, despite it, show how it actually grows him as a character and why it's brave and influential for autistic readers to read

did this for my bachelor's degree.
I made my thesis more interesting by bringing Jung into the discussion and the whole animus vs. anima concept with regards to the relationship between Gollum and Frodo.
fun times.

>frodo
>"more epic"
Frodo isn't epic at all, you cannot make him "more" epic.
Frodo is a an autistic wimp who can't get shit done on his own, he isn't even the real hero.
Do you know who is?
Sam.

He's a shy little gardener who just wants to take care of his taters and eat all day long.
But then he goes into the lair of the lion, helping Frodo to defeat the evil lord and his minions just to protect his friend.
Why is Frodo going? Because he is a dumb, autistic, selfish asshole who puts on a magic ring because he is gullible and too stupid to resist the thrall of evil, thereby drawing the attention of the big bad evil to him and the shire and everyone who is still free.

Sam wasn't tempted by the ring. Why? Because he isn't a power hungry, egotistical asshole.
Do you know what the ring tells him it would do for him? That it would help him be the best gardener, grow the best and biggest foods and make sure everyone is happy and fed.
That is Sam's deepest wish, to make other people happy.
Unlike Frodo who just wants to be more powerful because he is a little autistic faggot who can't do shit.

Look at the transformation of the characters. Frodo did not transform at all.
"Oh look a magic ring that promises me to be all powerful? Gotta get that!"
"Oh it's so heavy but I NEED IT"
"IT'S MINE but it's so heavy but I NEED IT"
and then finally at Mount Doom "Fuck you Sam THIS IS MINE I NEED IT"

Sam goes from "I just wanna grow cabbages and eat all day" to "I am SWORN to protect my friend" "I WILL help him destroy this ring even if it kills me" "I will carry his burden if it is too heavy for him so that we may end this threat and keep the world safe" and of course at the end, this shy little robot hobbit grows the balls to ask out the girl of his dreams.

Sam grew up dreaming about magic and battle and elves and whatnot. He is like us, we do the very same thing.
And in the end, he is sucked into his dreams and becomes part of a legend, he is transformed beyond what he recognises in himself and becomes the subject of his day dreaming.

And what happens after the war is over?
Frodo goes "I miss this power so much, it's killing me, I gotta go to the magical land of elves and live forever"
Sam goes to his crush, asks her out marries her and has children with her.
The book ends with Sam telling us about this and that his part in the story is "complete".
And when Sam leaves for Valinor, do you know his reasons?
Not because he misses the power of the ring, he is stronger and better than that.
He goes because his wife dies and he has nothing left to live for at home, so he seeks out his lost friend and travelling companion, even though he was mistreated by him throughout the entire book.

Tl;dr Sam is the real hero and frodo is a little asshole faggot.
I hate Frodo.

And to sum up what Sam has done even better, let me take this from TvTropes:
"He's overweight, easily frightened, and not very bright. He also beat a man-eating giant spider demi-god in single combat, single-handedly stormed a tower full of hostile orcs to save his friend's life, was the only Ringbearer to steadfastly resist the temptation of the One Ring, and literally carried another man up the side of a volcano for the fate of the world while starving and suffering from dehydration."

I really fucking hate Frodo and I am buttmad about this.