how typical

*irish coonts

fuck off

other irish cunts don't get him either

I'm Irish and get him fully, speak for yourself

u wot potate?

Define "gunrest"

Its the yoke you scrape your shoes on

The incoherence of this book is greatly exaggerated, and it isn't even until around halfway it ramps up any. If you can't read the first three Stephen chapters and Bloom's morning routine you're just daft.

Being Irish really does help understanding Ulysses, at least in terms of the vernacular of how they talk and that.

Also Irish historical reference, nobody but the Irish are going to get those.
Nobody else knows or cares who Parnell was

I'm French and I do

Had a course on Irish history so I guess that helps

is it really that good? everyone I asked told me not to read it (probably because i'm not prepared though)

Yes it is good, and if people are saying you need to "prepare" for it they're full of shit. Even the major allusion of the novel - The Odyssey - is not required reading for starting in with Ulysses. It's a book using mostly English words. It's not an easy book, but it's readable. Stop being a pussy and stop listening to conceited assholes.

Don't really listen to that guy, it's
>literally
>im
>pos
>si
>ble

but user even my parents told me that.. and I don't want to waste my time on a book that I won't really get I just wanted to know if it's really that good.

Also I would be reading it in hebrew not english so maybe in a translated language it loses it's charm.

Your parents think you're a pussy.

maybe i am lmao

Its just a lot of variety, detail, in various directions, a lot of information to take sense and make sense of, a lot of abstract concepts, symbols, subtlety, I guess the same can be said for many relatively large books, or all, you compress your knowledge and memory of the plot into simpler relative items, but I suppose just a lot (and of varying oddness, poeticnes, and clarity occurs, a lot of thoughts, like the whole book is worthy, every line almost has something of interest and value, blahblah) and the science section read a few years ago dont remember really following at all

This post was harder to read than Ulysses. And not nearly as fun.

I read it in Spanish after my mom told me not to and I greatly enjoyed it. I'll try to read it in English some time

Odyssey is needed, though. Absolutely vital even, if you want to get a single small nitpick out of it. But that's it, Odyssey and one of Jojces schemas and one's good to go, everything else is nitpicking.

*scottish

what the fuck happened here
were you lobotomized mid-thought?

Reading Joyce in anything but English should be grounds for public execution.

Yeah, I mean, it IS tough and requires close reading and a bit of effort (the first parts) but it is definitely coherent. It's easy to get tripped up by all the references to Dublin landmarks and 100-year-old people who are now unknown.

it is not good
it has some great parts
but mostly its just jerking off with words

Eh, a lot of Irish descended people living elsewhere know who Parnell was. I'm Scottish for example and I (as well as a lot of people of similar backgrounds) know from general knowledge.

is james joyce the death grips of Veeky Forums or is he actually good