If I liked McCarthy, will I like Faulkner? No cynical memeing from butthurt Dostoevsky fan girls please...

If I liked McCarthy, will I like Faulkner? No cynical memeing from butthurt Dostoevsky fan girls please. Serious responses only.

probably not because faulkner is actually good

Jesus kid, just kill yourself already.

Try As I Lay Dying

That was the one I was gonna read first. That or the Sound and the Fury, as i see it in a lot of people's collections on here.

Suttree is better than literally anything Faulkner ever wrote

What did he meme by this.

Don't start with TSaTF thats an awful idea.
just pick up that Summer of Faulkner 3-book set from based Oprah and read them in the order given, followed by Absalom

>No cynical memeing from butthurt Dostoevsky fan girls
What do you mean by including Dostoevsky?

In other threads it seems like europoors can't help but shit up the thread whenever American literature is talked about, and they all jerk off to Dostoevsky.

I see, people are always shitting on authors that they've barely read.
I'm an American and I like Ol' Dusty Evsky the most but I liked reading McCarthy. Maybe that bit of trivia is no use to you, just thought I'd mention it.

Nabokov accused Faulkner of writing corncobby chronicles, lit memesters call McCarthy Tortilla Corncob Yecarthy. Draw your own conclusions from there.

McCarthy is genre-tier. Great prose, but the only thing he's got going is plot. He doesn't actually accomplish anything, at least not as brilliantly as Faulkner. Faulkner perfected subtlety in narrative and created invisible world that spoke more words than our own could.

Nothing wrong with starting with the Sound and the Fury

Nabokov was great, but his works tend to be a little shallow compared to authors he shat on, Faulkner and Dostoevsky specifically. Reading and loving Nabokov's fiction is one thing, but to trust his criticisms...

It's one of his most difficult, and cleverer, works. It's better to start with others, then go on to TSatF to better appreciate what he's doing.

I like him too, I'm a little over halfway done with Brothers Karamazov and read Crime and Punishment before that. So I was wanting to get into something a little darker for a change of pace after I get done. I work in a gas station kiosk right now, I have tons of time to read.

His border trilogy is way too heavy on the tortilla imagery. He makes his hay, so to speak, ripping off Melville more than he does Faulkner.

(I don't like Dostoevsky)

Gas-kun?

>entire post is hot new opinions that nobody asks for
>doesnt answer OP's question
gud job

I feel like saying yes for minor trolling potential, but I don't know what you're talking about lol.

He hasn't posted in a long time. Gas station attendant that wrote 10,000 pages of a sci-fi series.

suttree is an inferior version of absalom desu. still a good novel

From a quality standpoint, Faulkner obliterates McCarthy. McCarthy is probably a bit hipper, in terms of "what the kids like these days", though. So, if you like McCarthy because he is a great southern writer, you probably will. If you like him because he is "so so dark", perhaps not. Though, desu, Faulkner is kind of darker than McCarthy in his own way.

When I said I was looking for something darker, I meant I was going for something a little more bleak and depressing after Dostoevsky whose characters all kiss and hug each other constantly while praising Jesus. I am the same way with movies. If I've seen nothing but comedies and feel-good family flicks, I will crave a horror movie or depressing drama.

and if you liked faulkner, read Look Homeward, Angel

Thanks, will put on my list.

>not realizing dosto is the bleakest of all