One artistic medium is better than this other artistic medium

>One artistic medium is better than this other artistic medium.
When will this god awful meme end?

When target markets for vidya isnt shit tier and when devs actually learn how to make a plot.

There are basically no writers in vidya because it supposedly can make development hell, but its actually a l2p issue.

Target markets for all mediums are shit-tier, and all the good games are often obscure because the medium is too young to have critical, deep analysis or influence people.

I was mostly referring to comics though.

Good video games =/= art, just like good books =/= art. Since most video games never try to be art, they wont be. Art is not defined by the medium. Fuck you OP. Fuck you and your shitty thread.

the real answer to the trolley problem is to rapidly switch tracks back and forth at the right time to throw the trolley off the rails

Is there a game like final fantasy 7 but better (any much better?)

What do you mean by that?

yes

Faggot detected

Because vidya isn`t art even though it can use art. Hopefully the "game are art" meme will never invade board game scene.

>Vidya isn't art even though it can use art.
What the fuck does that even mean?

Also, no other medium is capable of ludonarrative, and that's an inherently "artistic" thing. How is it not art?

I thought it was quite the artful game, quite lit

what are the name of some, to they who said, yes?

Dont listen to the psueds, or maybe those who just dont want their children wasting all their time playing wow,

If 'everything is art', and there are those simple modern paintings selling for millions and hanging in museums, and the duchamp urinal... then certainly every video game ever made is art, and a significant amount, quite quite great great.

Though maybe the confusion is about is it talked about, creating them, or playing them? I am saying, creators of video games are artists, because they are creators, art is essential creation, their creation s expressive and novel, and for observers interactors, another aspect of art, and another aspect in some art, entertaining. Aesthetics, potential philosophy

The upper left quadrant of is filled with "art" games from AAA to indie.

b is the correct choice

also, fuck off /v/, the whole "videogames are art" shit is why you got fucked by people who don't even play videogames. You invited to pseuds to your own backyard

If only more people thought like this...

I mean I have not played video games for like 5 or 6 years or more, but growing up I had regular, super nintendo, ps 1, ps 2, and I loved a lot of games for n and sn, and a lot of games for all systems, and I know ff7 is crtical acclaim, and I understand why, it was an amazing experience, and I am wondering if there are any critical consensus of any game like ff7, but that is even better? I played ff10, that was great too, never beat kingdom hearts, have heard of some of the cooler newer games, with dystopia and consprcy slants, but ff7 is like LOTR tier vidya imo

Final Fantasy Tactics is the best FF game.

Shadow of the Colossus, Drakengard, Pathologic, and Okami are better Epics than FF7.

it is absurd for people who are into other arts, to not even suggest that creating a video game is art, if a novelist considers every book written necessarily art, there are many video games that are greater works of art than many novels, than many paintings, than many sculptures, than many songs, than many movies etc. (video games can contain all those things)

The harsh reaction may be due to people fearing it is better art than theirs, or that they may be wasting their time in consuming other art instead of this art that neckbears consume, they couldnt possibly like something they do, im trying to think of all who deny video games as art, what they would have to think about themselves and their views, if they were to admit that it was art.

imagine in a gallery showing, weird sculptures, and tv screens and a box you put your hand in to feel playdoh and rocks , and a 3 foot wooden phallus, and a table with some jewlery, a noise sound installation, and then some guy in the corner "so I invented this thing called pacman (or star fox, or mario kart, or smash bros, or ff7 .....)

What cognitive disoni, and how, then goes *scoff* heh, nothin person kid

>Shadow of the Colossus

No way this is better than ff7 (or are you uber hipster contrarian guy), I couldnt beat like even the 2nd monster in that, just gave up, and it seemed like it would just relatively be the same thing over... big monster... some trick to beat him... next.... ff7 had so much variety and seemed like it would take longer to beat (lol, I know)... and no way the story line and characters were better,,, though the graphics were great and it was cool, maybe I will try to play again someday...

>Calls me an uber contarian.
>Was so stupid that he couldn't beat the second colossi.
>Assumes the rest of the game is repetitive bullshit.
>The game has to be easy in order for you to enjoy it
Epic meme bro.

FF tactics looks like crap, childish gameboy kids game, I take everything back I said about video games being art

>FF7's characters
>Good
One of the most overrated casts in all of vidya. Try Nier, Lisa, Drakengard, Deus Ex, Knights of the Old Republic 2, etc.

>Bet you used cheats and guides
>bet you will say bet I didnt

Actually it's FF6. But even that is no better than enjoyable pulp.
Same goes for the rest of those games.

The games that are the best artistically generally have minimal if any dialog and plot (something like Rez, for example). There isn't a single good writer in the field the commonly lauded scripts (MGS, Planescape Torment, etc.) are B-movie tier. They should not be forgiven for bad worrying just because the standard is so low. It's possible that someone could do better, especially as making games gets easier and more people (including people that may be better writers) are learning to code.

Bad writing is detrimental to games. Compare Super Metroid to Castlevania: Symphony of the Night. The latter is much more complex with respect to put and has a cast of characters and dialog. Super Metroid is superior as a work of art because the minimal writing allows the player to fill in more emotion. When Dracula speaks, he becomes ridiculous because what he says is ridiculous. The atmosphere of the game is broken by poor writing (and more by poor voice acting).
Even the more ambitious auteurs like Suda51 cannot seem to get the writing down. It's never good enough to be on par with top notch gameplay, visuals, and sound.
I agree that games are art, they just aren't very good art. More accurately, some of them are good, but none are great. Most are terrible.

Who cares if you use cheats or guides? What matters is you complete the game and get the experience.

Literature and music are the superior ones
Film has HUGE potential but most films are completly wack

Video games are actually the highest art form, because it is approaching godhood; creating a realm in which all art forms can be explored.

>Actually it's FF6. But even that is no better than enjoyable pulp.
There is some genuinely enjoyable imagery and events and so on that go beyond pulp in FF6 but it's not above middle brow I'll grant you. I'd put it up with Half Life and Portal and that schlock that are all like pulpy shit but with some merit.

Earthbound on the other hand... I also liked that Stanley Project thing but that was more like going to see a good art student's installation.

Using cheats definitely detracts from the experience, using a guide is debatable

Competition never ends when it's not forced to end.

>imblying that something is only art if it declares itself as art and vise versa

The /v/ vs. Veeky Forums competition will end when /v/ stops trolling, which won't happen.

>The /v/ vs. Veeky Forums competition will end when Veeky Forums stops trolling, which won't happen.
FTFY

See?

The Beginner's Guide has Goat writing, but is dismissed due to subtle mechanics and a narrative that's easy too take at face (or even sub-face) values instead of looking at what actually goes on in the work.

>too easy to take at face values

Well, I agree with you that people often don't pay much attention to details.

you got me

I didn't want to.

did too, but anyway, yeah the game has legitimately great writing a specific sense of surrealism that separates itself from others.

i didn't read your content earlier

that's fine, man

I'm sorry, what was that?

now, you're being mean

it's b unless A is me

that's very nice of you, but I'm always mean

Troof

Lifts-Her-Tail
Certainly not, kind sir! I am here but to clean your chambers.

Crantius Colto
Is that all you have come here for, little one? My chambers?

Lifts-Her-Tail
I have no idea what it is you imply, master. I am but a poor Argonian maid.

Crantius Colto
So you are, my dumpling. And a good one at that. Such strong legs and shapely tail.

Lifts-Her-Tail
You embarrass me, sir!

Crantius Colto
Fear not. You are safe here with me.

Lifts-Her-Tail
I must finish my cleaning, sir. The mistress will have my head if I do not!

Crantius Colto
Cleaning, eh? I have something for you. Here, polish my spear.

Lifts-Her-Tail
But it is huge! It could take me all night!

Crantius Colto
Plenty of time, my sweet. Plenty of time.

END OF ACT IV, SCENE III

Drakengard is a shit game. Story and characters aside, the combat is a grind and uninteresting.

I really liked Caim though

what the fuck is even a medium, english language please.

easy, medium, hard