Getting Back Into Reading

Hi,

I'm new to this board (but not Veeky Forums) and I've been struggling to get back into reading. I'm looking for advice and techniques on how to get back into it. I'll give some background info and hopefully someone can help me out.

I haven't sat down and devoted myself to a book in about two years. I graduated from undergrad in 2014 (where I had to read obviously, but because of time constraints I usually skimmed the req. readings, and no time for personal stuff) which had me reading books on diplomacy, strategy, history, etc. After graduating, I became employed and had more time for leisure activities which consisted of my other hobbies. The work I did required me to read a lot (the info I researched) and at that time I couldn't get into reading for pleasure. Fast forward to Fall 2015, and I was diagnosed with a medical condition (that I'm very happy to say I overcame) that ruined me emotionally - I felt hopeless but stayed strong and lived as best I could. I'm still feeling the effects from that time - I'm trying to get my life back on track, but I'm struggling everyday to do the things I used to do (and of course trying new things).

I guess it's fear - of what, I don't know. I mean, today (20 Nov.) I went into a bookstore to get a copy of "The Art of the Deal" by Donald Trump (please don't bully me - and please no political opinions) but put it back down, even though I've been telling myself I wanted to get that book for awhile.

I've got a bookshelf of literature I've collected over time (from school, sales, and Library give aways) that I have yet to touch, but I don't have that drive anymore.

So Veeky Forums, what are your techniques for getting back into reading? What goals do you set? Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks so much.

>Pic unrelated

>what are your techniques for getting back into reading
Reading a book usually works

Just read a bit each day. I usually will read a chapter or two before bed. Eventually if you are liking the book you will find yourself picking it up and reading it more often.

Alright, reading a bit (like one chapter) is a goal of mine to help me get started again.

What about if you are reading, and it's not holding your interest? Do you truck through it? Or drop it and get a new one?

Go back and get "The Art of the Deal". Learn how to help make yourself great again!

What do you want me to say? What do you do with literally any other hobbies you have? Are you into videogames, movies, etc.? What do you do with those hobbies?

Personally I just push through, but I don't read 1000 page books. Another option is to buy short story collections of a genre you like. If you don't like one story its possible others will interest you. If it's really really bad then just drop it and move to another book.

Heh, thanks bud.

But really, I do plan on getting it. I couldn't justify the store markup price, and was able to get it for cheaper on Amazon.

Say anything you think is useful.

The other major hobby I'm into is music: guitar, bass, drums, keys, etc. I love music because it gives me a path of creating joy. I usually keep to myself, but have played with others a few times (for small gigs and jam sessions). Even though I could, I don't monetize this hobby (because then it isn't a hobby anymore). Other hobbies include cars, playing a video game or two every now and then, and some baking (cakes, desserts, etc.).

Okay - in my schooling I've had to push myself through dry reads as well. Obviously if I could have dropped it, I would, but hey grades matter.

I've always liked the Tom Clancy series, but haven't read from it in a longgggg time - maybe I'll pick that up again.

Thanks

Find words and look at them

once you've read a couple books you should be back in gear

make a goodreads account and then set a goal for books to read in a year and track your reading. Hope that you find like-minded individuals or you can convince your friends to make accounts also. If you want to try artzy edgy intellectual bullshit then look at books and authors which get meme'd here.

what do you have on your shelves?

>artzy edgy intellectual bullshit

yeah fuck them artzy bookz and their big wurdz tryna be all "intillectual" lmao dey all bullshit newayz

I figure as much, I've to get over the lethargy first.

Mhmm, I haven't thought of using goodreads before. I'll definitely give it a try.

I'll give just a few examples of what I have:
Dale Carnengie - "Lincoln The Unknown"
Charles Hill - "Grand Strategies"
Sun Tzu (Forward by James Clavell) - "The Art of War"
Daniel Kahneman - "Thinking, Fast and Slow"
John Lewis Gaddis - "The Cold War: A New History"
Assorted world literature like Irish poems, etc.

I read "getting blacks into reading"

Anyone else finding this post surprisingly beautiful?

I became an avid reader like three months ago and I can't stop. I stopped watching tv and I don't spend much time on Veeky Forums anymore.

Here's how I did it.

-Remember the average person reads like zero books a year. If you read 5 pages a day, you are 5 pages above the average person

-Don't force yourself to read. Commit to read 5 pages a day. I swear after three days you'll feel like reading more and after a month or so you should be reading 50-100 pages a day for pleasure

-Read various books at the same time. When I grab a difficult book or one that makes me sleepy I grab another and switch. This should refresh your head. Keep them thematically different. I read economics and fiction.

-It isn't a race. Reading slowly won't make you sleepy that fast. Try to acknowledge what books are for you to read fast and which aren't.

-Buy the physical copies. When you get the books from your own money you'll feel the need to read them to avoid the feel of wasting your money.

-Start with books highly discussed here so you feel motivated to discuss.

jesus christ ur disgusting

Thank you so much for the response, user!

Cutting back on TV and Veeky Forums like you did is something I'll do as well (or atleast try, haha).

Re: 1 - I can't believe the average person reads zero books a year; that's nuts.

Re: 2 - Thinking about it now, it seems like I'm failing because I'm trying to force it, as opposed to letting it happen.

Re: 3 - I've never done multiple reads at once because I always thought it would mesh stories, or make following certain plots that much harder to understand. I'll give it a go, though.

Re: 4 - Ok, and this may sound dumb, but how should I judge what books are to be read fast while others are not? (inb4 don't judge a book by it's cover).

Re: 5 - All I've ever read has been the physical copies; I don't understand how people can read from a screen.

Re: 6 - In my OP I stated this is my first time to board, so I'll lurk more to see what yall are reading.

Thanks so much!

Ah there it is, the circle is now complete

Have I missed this before or is it new?

"New" readers often feel pressure to sit down and read a hundred pages at a time. Just read until you can't take it anymore. Put it down, go back to it, rinse and repeat. As you keep doing it, you'll find that your ability to sit still and just read will increase. Before you know it, you'll be one of those obnoxious people who can read a book in one sitting.

p.s. start off by picking up a few novellas. don't sit down and try to read some dense piece of literature your first time up. reading takes practice. be easy on yourself and slowly increase difficulty as you go (if that's what you want.)

Regarding Not sure what you mean, bud. It's new to me (the OP).

Haha, I love the pic, user! But for real, thank you for the sound advice. I'll start slow build up my ability again. As for the novellas, I haven't thought to try those, so I'll go ahead and do it.

Thanks