Modern university education:

Modern university education:
>Have to configure daily schedule such that one attends a variety of lectures which typically have suboptimal timing
>Have to take a shower and look presentable
>Have to take the time to commute to campus
>Must incur transportation costs to do this
>Increased time on campus elevated food costs as one will inevitably need to buy lunch
>Have to do laundry more frequently, costing time and money
>Arrive at lecture
>Professor isn't prepared
>Peers are loud or smelly or somehow distracting
>Lecture room is uncomfortable
>Professor spends an eternity scrawling some illegible derivation on the blackboard
>Somebody asks some retarded question, wasting more time
>Professor realizes he made a mistake and has to do redo part of the derivation
>The sum of the lecture's material could be learned in much greater detail in less than 20 minutes of attentive reading
>Instead nearly 3 hours of my time is wasted
>Repeat ad infinitum

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wk7IdpVP46U
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What happened in that pic would have been a lot less ridiculous if the mother had just calmly picked them up and removed them from the room

this is only true if your a poor faggot going to a shit school though

>>Have to take the time to commute to campus
you haven't experienced shit until you've spent 3-4 hours a day on shitty crowded public transit with smelly homeless nigger monkeys starting raucous commotions

>>Increased time on campus elevated food costs as one will inevitably need to buy lunch
Also pack your own lunch faggot. Eat shitty leftovers from last night's dinner day in day out motherfucker.

The time consumption and inconvenience associated with packing a lunch is simply not worth the ~$2 that I'd save. I value my free time more than that.

Dunedin student
Literally live 5 minutes walk from my lecture rooms
Cheap flatting costs
Decent lecturers

Great uni, wish I'd gone there

It takes you more time to pack your left overs than it does to queue up and buy shit food?

>>Increased time on campus elevated food costs as one will inevitably need to buy lunch
bring some fucking sandwiches and fruit from home you dumbfuck

But yeah I completely agree with the notion you put force. Universities, not only are mismanaged and horrible education institutions. They're very archaic, bias, inefficient, anti-student, etc.

>put force
forth*

This is why I study online

>Shitty lectures
Yeah, can we talk about that?

I don't understand how my university hired these people. I don't understand how they got a PhD.

I have a computer science professor who can barely read code. I have a professor teaching differential equations who can only explain the processes, not the "whys." I had a chemistry professor who said blatantly incorrect things every single lecture.

Almost every lecture I've been to has been a borefest. The professors don't give any particularly interesting insights. They just spew out a bunch of facts while working through a powerpoint slide the department gave them, that they probably barely looked over at the last minute.

Strangely enough, the cultural anthropology class I was forced to take had the most interesting lectures I've been to. The class was filled with SJW nonsense, yes, but the professor actually DISCUSSED the material and made it INTERESTING.

I occasionally watch those online lectures on MIT's website. I'm fucking jealous of those kids. Those professors actually know what they're talking about, and they know how to package the material into a lecture that is interesting, engaging, and understandable. Also, they don't have to talk through every trivial detail because they assume their students aren't total retards.

I think the most efficient possibly way for anyone to learn, who doesn't have the luxury of going to an actually good school, is to read books themselves and watch lectures from better schools. If you're lucky enough to know people who know the subject you're learning THOROUGHLY (unlike my shitty professors), then that's a plus.

In my they're either excellent or terrible, and basically the difference comes from whether the lecturer actually cares or is just doing the minimum they're contractually required to.

There are plenty of awful lecturers even at top schools. They are hired for their research potential and the money and prestige they could bring to the university not lecturing ability.

This is so true universities are awfully inefficient in the dissemination of knowledge. We really need some 21st century overhaul of tertiary education.

You guys keep forgetting that not everyone can be a teacher.
You guys are forgetting that even the most complicated material can be studied alone if the books are done right.
You guys are forgetting that not all universities actually care about their professors dealings meaning they are let to do whatever they want which leads to bad quality of work they do.
You guys are forgetting that every time someone mentions how bs their classes are you hear another one yelling "Its college fool you are supposed to be adaptive and figure out by yourself" which cancels the point of being there in the first place.
You guys are forgetting that ppt had become industry standard and nobody is moving an inch to change it and do their work.

It's not that bad if you don't go to a shitty uni

>Not just going to the class when theres something in the days material you dont understand
never going to make it.

>professor just shows presentation filled with quotes from the book
>citing it without adding anything worth while
>youtube.com/watch?v=Wk7IdpVP46U

>be in med school
>all pre-clinicals are p/f
>optional and recorded online lectures to watch at 1.5x speed
>required attendance for hands on stuff
Feels gr8 m8

>the professors are actually good enough to tell you what will be covered in lecture ahead of time

What kind of fucking fantasy land do you go to?

is education really that bad in most cases?

Except for one asshole that wanted to make some retarded point, every professor gave us the folowing on the university website from day 1
>Studyguide with sections of textbooks that should be read and worked through, extra examples and explanations if the textbook is lacking
>Schedule with what sections will be discussed on what days
>Each days slides (only released the day after that class)
>what sections and material we need to study for which test
>previous 3 years tests and exams, with memos, for practice
>List of homework that will be marked and days it should be handed in, (each professor has a postbox to drop it in so you can submit it any time)
>If there are projects, the dates and rules such as how large groups must be are given, but usually topics are only given later.

A bunch of professors straight up told us that if we understand the material, there's no reason to come to class (except for 1 different asshole who thinks its funny to give little 5 point tests in class when he sees attendance is low).

It wasn't uncommon for me to not go to a single class for 1 or 2 weeks when we had no labs.

And this is in South Africa, I expected first would countries to have already mastered university

>I expected first would countries to have already mastered university

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. You're cute.

Some of my professors are like you describe, but many of them aren't as organized. They simply don't give a shit. And, yes, many of them have "required" attendance in the sense that they do certain assignments/quizzes/etc. in class (for god knows what reason).

That's American education for you. Nobody cares.

>Going to class
This is where you're wrong.

I work full time and never go to class. I just study 3 hours everyday day and I'm already ahead of everyone else.

Uni is only worth it for the paper you get.

QQ moar plz.

>>Have to take a shower and look presentable
Fucking Hell

Most retards (read: People with

Oh, I got so much into this that I forgot my conclusion.

My point was that this is the reason universities work like this.

99.9% of people are retarded (

>find house near campus
>5 minute walk from room to lecture
>paying less than half of what residential students pay

Feelsgood

>get raped and robbed by a black man at night

Yeah, feels great!

I agree that most people scoff at the idea of self-learning, and that it's a shitty attitude to take, but I feel like (at least for me personally) the teacher does make it somewhat easier to learn.

>combination of hearing the material and reading/seeing it
>they can reword things if something is unclear
>more generally, they can clarify things rather than just repeat the same words to you over and over
>They can instantly fix their mistakes on the spot
>can provide instant feedback
>can give you relevant guidance without having to skim through a book to find something that may at times only be somewhat related to what you want to know (since you mentioned kids, im gunna go out on a limb and assume elementary school aged children aren't downloading PDFs of textbooks, so ctrl-F is out)
>(usually) more dynamic and energetic than books, making it easier to focus for longer periods of time

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that in-person education does have its merits. I'm trying to teach myself intro abstract algebra, but i'm doing it by reading the textbook and following along with a lecture series on YouTube. There's no way i'd be able to follow along as well as I am by reading the book only.

I dont know if this was a joke, but one of my classmates was riding his bike home late after class from the computer lab and some black guy (who seems to be a walking stereotype), stabbed him and stole his bike. guy was in hospital couple of days and then the universality surprised him with a new bike (that was worth like 10 times his old one). fucking niggers. anyway, moral of the story is if you want a new bike, get a black guy to stab you in the dark.

Not a joke. Cities are fucking shit. Live in the suburbs.

>>(usually) more dynamic and energetic than books, making it easier to focus for longer periods of time
This is something I have trouble with. A good lecture, I can pay attention to. But all textbooks are so dry I can barely focus on them.

I study in India, and a fortunate enough to go to a decent uni. , but can relate to the shitty experiences mentioned here, which many of my friends have to face in good(*expensive*) private uninversities. And god help the government universities at ower levels of importance, where the very idea of education is to get the degree.
Coming to the point, I'd say that even my uni has bad profs, but many good ones at the same time, and thus it cannot and should not be wholely concluded that uni education is good/bad.
In many of the lectures its very interesting to engage in exciting discussions, in others its a pain to sit through the class for mandatory attendence.
Basically different people + different uni's + different choices lead us nowhere but only fill the gaps in the lower levels of education system.
Peace!

I have trouble with huge huge books, where to grasp a single concept, they want you to go through their complete shit (especially relevant for science texts)

>go to college
>don't go to class
>learn on your own, do research with professors, work on projects

You're really just paying for the degree anyways. You think the difference between your $10k/year local state university and a $70k/year private school is the quality of education?

>Have to take a shower and look presentable
Only if you care about what other people think about you. I had professors who didn't shower.

How did you get used to the smell?

>I don't care what anybody thinks! I'm so mature!

Adorable.

I hope this is bait. First of all, the IQ

Thank you come again.

If you think that people have "different learning skills" you are delusional. You are either good or aren't. I learn well alone but I also enjoy going to class.

I study pure mathematics which is the easiest to self teach if you have the IQ for it but I still go to class every day and enjoy engaging with professors and learning at the pace they want me to.

But I also know that if this school allowed you to pass by only taking the tests, and if I was slightly more asocial then I would definitely choose to study completely alone.

But back to my point the thing is that I am not a bookworm. I am a good learner. I can learn in any way possible.

Other people... aren't. And no amount of professors will help with that.

I again can use my brother as an example. I have seen countless different tutors come to my house and teach him and none make it. My brother is still retarded and no amount of money can heal that.

And I am sorry if me being middle class triggers you. My point still holds. Even if you are poor you can libgen and learn alone instead of needing teachers.

No amount of money can cure IQ deficiency.

The fucking superiority complexes on this website. Fucking Christ.

>complexes

I am sorry but if I get higher grades than you and learn faster than you then I am superior, at least when it comes to mathematics.

That is what the word superior MEANS. I am sorry that you have to find out this way that not everyone is equal. I am so sorry.

Maybe you are better at... lifting weights or something than me. So you are superior, good job.

What school do you go go? I live in my city 3 blocks from campus in an off-campus apartment. I have a night/weekend job to pay for things. My professors are rarely unprepared and when they are it's over a tiny portion of the lecture that we all pull through together as a class. When my classmates don't understand something they respect everyone else's time and wait for office hours or the tutoring center in our library. If you feel the work is too easy you can sign up for honors courses or undergo an honors project or research with your professor. Tldr; OP is an insufferable faggot

that post is true though, i can skip every lecture and still pass a class because i know how to learn from reading a book, smart people can do this

>OP is an insufferable faggot for not having the same luxuries I have

>luxuries
Such is the mindset of self-entitlement people have. Why pay money for transport? Walk or bike I have friends that bike 5-7 miles to and from campus every day. Don't sign up for shitty intro courses and skip straight to upper level ones. Brainlets need luxurieeeeeeees muh luxuries

>have been falling asleep in every class since I was in elementary school
>lectures, black/whiteboard/presentation time seems to be my trigger
>compensate with home-study and not being a retarded normie

How will I do in the quickly approaching college environment?

you'll either sink or swim

Yeah, you'll do fine. About 95% of your classmates will be normies, and the other 5% will be pretentious dickbags who think they're smarter than they really are. So you can just ignore everyone and study in the library or whatever by yourself. That's what I do. Beware if your classes have required attendance, though.

I second this, also i'm pretty sure i've read somewhere that one of defining attributes of 130+ IQ is "ability to research info and learn on its own".

Actually i don't learn much in lectures, a book is so much more efficient.

>one of defining attributes of 130+ IQ is "ability to research info and learn on its own".
This is fucking retarded. It doesn't take a genius to read books and Google shit. Even normies do that on the regular.

The autism is hard in this post.

You should be okay, but don't get overconfident. Real uni is often a shock to freshman. I know multiple people with AP-everything, gpas of 4.0-5.0, 5s on everything who got blown the fuck out by a legitimate college level calculus 2 course or a gen.chem series (my school doesn't let you take AP Chem in place of their series).

Just be aware that AP classes are bullshit and are nothing like real college, don't believe your teachers. That said, college is piss easy if you actually study

I don't see what's wrong with that post. I'm not baiting you, I really want to understand.

>Have to shower and look presentable

lol fucking normie

I mean, I'm a published mathematician dude. I just think you're being childish.

Lmao this was on your school's statistics page. Male, female, or X

A friend of mine really didn't like the social atmosphere, he's a bit of a sperg though - he's back up here now studying with me. Vic uni.

I feel this

Male, no sausage fests here

The drinking culture puts a fair few people off, especially spergs

So... who are the 2 X-gendered people?

Oh, it's the time of the semester when people start realizing they aren't going to get the grades they want, isn't it?

Lots of good points (amid the shitposts) made in this thread, to the fact that many Uni profs are incompetent in the classroom. My profs have been in one of three categories:
(a) the young hotshots with a fresh PhD and an intense interest in their subject
(b) the wise old-timers who have the long view and can answer any question easily
(c) everybody else, who are disengaged and just putting in their time. Among these, the alcoholics are the worst.

So this is what autism looks like.

which anime is this from??

Is she a mail order bride? She looks terrified, like she's going to be sent back to her country.

Good and you are starting to realise also there is a massive pool of people that think just like you.

All of them, on the internet and being monitored by the NSA.

S-Sauce?!!!!!

>If you think that people have "different learning skills"
>I am a good learner. I can learn in any way possible.
>mfw

I try so hard to leave this cesspool everyday, yet I end up here anyways.
[math]Please\,help\,me[/math] ;_;

>If you think that people have "different learning skills" you are delusional.***

My point was that there are no "book learners", "visual learners", "practical learners", etc. There are learners and retards.

If you a retard you can learn in every way. There is no one who can just learn visually, or just practically.

>There are learners and retards.
False dichotomy based off your clear intellectual superiority complex. Next.

>There is no one who can just learn visually, or just practically
True, no one learns in purely one way. But some people find different styles to be more conducive to learning. Some people (eg you) may prefer to read, whereas others (eg me) find it helpful to see concepts illustrated
Seriously though, what the fuck is up Veeky Forums's mentality?
>If you don't study what I study you're stupid
>If you don't study how I study you're stupid
>If you're not me your're stupid
Too many threads on this board are like this.

>Seriously though, what the fuck is up Veeky Forums's mentality?

>taking Veeky Forums this seriously

You are being prepared for the real world. If you do all that for a piece of paper to hang on your wall imagine what you will do for a regular paycheck later?

>muh """""real world"""""""

You mean the capitalist machine? That isn't any more real than university. They're both arbitrary structures.

Man, I was a regular /b/tard for like 5 years. Lost interest and stopped going on Veeky Forums at all for a few years. This re-entry is rough, I forget what it's like here sometimes.

Horrible excuse. Go to university to learn and you won't be a whiny insufferable cunt about doing things. If you feel you aren't being challenged, talk to professors! They'll find something interesting for you to do.

Well I mean one is accredited for engineering and the other isn't. So....

Having quality peers is one of the biggest benefits of good schools, and is tremendously helpful in learning. Obvious the schools aren't hiring professors who are better lecturers.

haha I had that
>get up
>roll out of bed
>walk to class
>be there in five minutes

Was lovley. But I always got up early so I could sit in the library and read.

A weak mind such as yourself should listen to my story and take notes

Couple weeks into calculus 1 now, doing well, already past the chain rule and beyond. Quotient rule was a joke. Product rule remains my specialty.

I ask my professor his thoughts on quantum mechanics and partial derivatives. He's impressed i know about the subject. We converse after class for some time, sharing mathematical insights; i can keep up. He tells me of great things ahead like series and laplacians. I tell him i already read about series on wikipedia. He is yet again impressed at my enthusiasm. What a joy it is to have your professor visibly brighten when he learns of your talents.

And now I sit here wondering what it must be like to be a brainlet, unable to engage your professor as an intellectual peer.

All of the deep conversations you people must miss out on because you aren't able to overcome the intellectual IQ barrier that stands in the way of your academic success... it's so sad.

My professor and I know each other on first name basis now, but i call him Dr. out of respect.

And yet here you brainlets sit, probably havent even made eye contact with yours out of fear that they will gauge your brainlet IQ levels.

A true shame, but just know it is because i was born special that i am special. I can't help being a genius, nor can my professor.

Two of a kind is two flocks in a bush.

>Product rule remains my specialty.
>quantum mechanics and partial derivatives
>series and laplacians
>intellectual peer
>I can't help being a genius

>Showering

Pretty sure this guy has been trolling this thread for several days now. There's no way anyone actually thinks like this.
>We converse after class for some time, sharing mathematical insights; i can keep up. He tells me of great things ahead like series and laplacians. I tell him i already read about series on wikipedia. He is yet again impressed at my enthusiasm. What a joy it is to have your professor visibly brighten when he learns of your talents.
This reads like a passage out of fucking Frankenstein or another 19th century novel. Do you think you live in some fantasy realm with archetypal student and professor roles?

That particular post is copypasta.

Thank god. I was starting to wonder about this board.

Shut the fuck up and stop shitposting newfag

>Shut the fuck up and start shitposting newfag
FTFY

I envy you

>cultural anthropology

You just paid for 13 weeks of Marxism Indoctrination.

>/pol/ is triggered again

I enjoy the insight professors give, especially when they incorporate their research into the course to some extent. The only negative experiences Ive had with professors so far were either because it was their first time teaching (usually the worst), they were arrogant and created a shitty atmosphere, or completely lazy (almost exclusively humanities).

Veeky Forums is filled with a significant number of genuinely intelligent people. Very likely the majority of them wouldnt even touch a thread like this, or any overly opinionated bullshit for that matter, especially troll threads. The rest are arrogant fucks who may or may not be actually intelligent, religious apologists, "philosophers" and trolls.

I still love this board though, many of the posters are actually quite witty. Despite its arrogance, this board is the most useful,articulate, learned and rational board on the site.

Yet here you are on Veeky Forums

Mate if you plan it out just a tiny bit (presumably you plan dinner anyway), just make a little bit extra each night and take the leftovers next day. And you will save A LOT more than $2 per meal.