Intermittent Fasting/One meal a day

What does Veeky Forums thinks about them and are they really that great for the brain?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone_bodies
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Extremely curious to hear the verdict on this topic. Know a guy who's been eating OMAD for 8 years. That's not a fluke.

>Know a guy who's been eating OMAD for 8 years
Tell us about him

His theory is his stomach has adjusted to his smaller appetite, like in the caveman days where we had 1 OMAD only. And that his body burns his stored fat and that's his source of main energy.

Some days he goes by eating only a single cup of ramen noodles and some nuts.

No no I meant how he thinks in general, how his body looks etc so to see if it actually has made a difference on him.

just eat a diverse diet and only eat when your hungry, stay hydrated as well. done

>untested theory
>anecdotal evidence

I thought we were on the science board not /b/

First of all OP, can you name a single meal that has 2000 calories?

Ketone bodies put a strain on your body and your brain needs glucose, mate. It's unnecessary torture.

He lifts, 6'1 210 lbs. Pretty normal strength, not strong but not weak. Don't remember the exact numbers.

>Keto
But I still eat a lot of carbs, if anything

After starting IF, you will likely go through a phase of adjusting to metabolizing fat an ketones rather than glucose from your food. This can take a few days or even a week to get through and can result in headaches, fatigue, and other flu-like symptoms.

poutine from Costco

You don't need a single meal of 2000 calories. Even less than a 1000 calories is enough, it's not about calories.

Calories are a meme.

First tell me why exactly 2k and you can do it really easy if you actually chew your food for better digestion as it takes a lot or blender it.

Yes, but they don't last. Glucose in your blood lasts you about an hour, then you go through your saved up glycogen. What follows is gluconeogenesis and burning fat, ergo ketone bodies. You need the gluconeogenesis because your brain absolutely needs some glucose to function. However there is a shift, I can't remember the exact values but your brain goes from using 100% glucose to about 1/3 of that amount, which makes it suboptimal. It's why sweets may help you study. Then there is the whole metabolic acidosis thing which sucks for your kidneys and body in general.

You probably can re-adjust your metabolism, I mean religious fasting is a thing, I'm not competent enough to say but you will definitely feel like shit.

Nope. A lot of misinformation in your post. I'm not repeating the same thing over and over again.

I drink one of these a day and nothing else. Currently 5'11 180lbs at 7% bodyfat. There's obviously good reasoning behind OMAD, but I find for maximum efficiency you also need to eat only one thing, this allows your body to learn to maximize this particular meal. I at first did it with a Trader Joes tater tot, egg, cheese, and bacon ends omelette, but it didn't have enough sugars and left me dehydrated. The shakes seem to be the sweet spot for me.

>Yes, but they don't last. Glucose in your blood lasts you about an hour, then you go through your saved up glycogen. What follows is gluconeogenesis and burning fat, ergo ketone bodies. You need the gluconeogenesis because your brain absolutely needs some glucose to function
this is true dont know what to say about the rest though

Let me clarify a bit, your glycogen doesn't get depleted instantly, but over the course of a few days with a suboptimal diet until maybe part of your intake will be saved as glycogen, since it never really goes away, but you won't be able to rely on it. Furthermore, probably shouldn't have lumped gluconeogenesis and burning fat together, but I believe they take place simultaneously, no source because it is only logical. Beyond that:

>The brain gets a portion of its fuel requirements from ketone bodies when glucose is less available than normal (e.g., during fasting, strenuous exercise, low carbohydrate, ketogenic diet and in neonates). In the event of a low glucose concentration in the blood, most other tissues have alternative fuel sources besides ketone bodies and glucose (such as fatty acids), but the brain has an obligatory requirement for some glucose.[10] After the diet has been changed to lower blood glucose utilization for 3 days, the brain gets 25% of its energy from ketone bodies.[11] After about 4 days, this goes up to 70%

>Both acetoacetic acid and beta-hydroxybutyric acid are acidic, and, if levels of these ketone bodies are too high, the pH of the blood drops, resulting in ketoacidosis
It says it happens as an untreated complication of type one diabetes but my point is that your kidneys' H+-ATPase activity is increased, thus putting unnecessary strain on the body.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone_bodies

What part of my post is factually incorrect?

bump

Been trying to work towards it, decreasing the size of my meals slightly and increasing my dinner.

>Implying you need 2k calories for a deskjob.

Reminder that living on a slight deficit increases longevity and health.

Carb reduction diet is great.

2 Big Mac
1 Large soda
1 Large fries

Roughly 2000 calorie meal. That's just average American standard meal.

I did it in December and saw good results aside from being hungry, lost 20 lbs that month but now I want to build muscle, so going to try paleo.

Paleo is a meme. Just look at lactose tolerance.

However as a general rule, the more something has been processed the worse it is.

There is no secret or magic to nutrition. Meme diets are just that. Memes. You can eat 1 meal a day, or 5. If you eat the same amount, it will have about the same result.
One might particularly work well for your current lifestyle. A drastic change probably requires a short period to get used to it.

Not quite true. Yes calories - calories out.
However the metabolism is complex and you eating patterns can influence your "out".

I asked about how it influences your brain not that much your body

Question.

So if it's possible to have 1 meal/day, could you stretch it to 1 meal/2 days? Then 1/week eventually?

I do IF, but largely because its more convinient and im a lazyfag.

Staying focussed when you're hungry is very hard though. I can't get any real work done on an empty stomach. But I've always been able to maintain low bf%, visible abs. Maybe its a coincidence, maybe not.

Also the harder you work at the gym, the more crippling the hunger is.

yes and then one big 1 000 000 calories meal a year consisting of scrap metal and liquid uranium

>one meal a day
I do this unintentionally for years, also I'm fat.

bump

One meal a day is terrible for you in the long term. Yes, you can function like that, your entire life. No, it's not good for you.

Intermittent fasting has proven health benefits. Not, like, as a regular part of your everyday meal routine, don't be a stupid faggot, 2-5 meals a day depending on your schedule and physical activity is ideal, don't go full autist and try to reinvent the wheel with some permanent IF schedule or something. Doing a committed IF routine is great for weight loss, pretty retarded in everyday life. However, fasting for up to a day or two once every few weeks has proven health benefits in the long run, and not just for fat Americans who need the weight loss.

If you think "cavemen" weren't grazing 24/7 you're fucking retarded