What is the most popular STEM undergraduate degree?

What is the most popular STEM undergraduate degree?

Other urls found in this thread:

wired.com/2017/01/move-coders-physicists-will-soon-rule-silicon-valley/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Mechanical Engineering

CS, unfortunately.

psychology

CS and Mech Engineering in Yermany

biology and chemistry probably
they are the pre-med degrees.

Here it is Mech and Petroleum engineering, but I'm almost certain that's cause my state is reliant on oil for money.

Not by a longshot.

Biology.

CS is popular, but nowhere near as popular as math and biology. There are like 5 CS professors, 12 math professors, and like 30 bio professors at the average state school I attend.

biology, but it's also the most weeded out because "I wanna be a doctor and make money xD"

CS is probably the most by the time people get B.S.

there are lots of math professors because lots of non math majors take math classes

there are a lot of math professors for different majors

there are a lot of bio professors because there are a fuck ton of sub categories for bio

I was about to say CS but I forgot that biology counts as STEM
it's obviously the most popular

>Psychology
>STEM

>sociology and anthropology

For good fucking reason user

I have a relative who is thinking about going into pre-med for biology or chemistry. Would it help if they were female going into the life sciences?

Or should I try to persuade them to go into something else?

This:

>US
Pathetic honestly. I'm guessing the pre-med nature of the degrees have completely eroded what a science degree should be like.

If you want to study life sciences, just go to a top UK/euro uni.

PHYSICS MASTER RACE

Not really a good reason. Computing degree not needed for computing; in many cases, degree not needed for computing.
If most jobs in the country were sales jobs, I wouldn't say it would be good to have a billion people with a BA in Sales Science.

>Sociology
>stem
who did this?

Classic apples and oranges comparison bravo.
Sales is not a technical position, anyone can "sell" something, not everyone can develop software and architect advanced computer systems or manage data and data driven services, I could go on. These kinds of jobs require skills that can't just be picked up, you can't just wing it here.

You have to actually know what your doing. For some of these computing positions, I believe it may be possible to self learn, but it will take a considerable amount of time. Your better off getting a degree and positioning yourself for long term career advancement in those fields.

I'm doing Microbiology...is my STEM undergrad degree a meme?

P.S. Any tips on getting lab experience before I graduate?

Ask labs if they need undergraduate research assistants. It will not be the first lab you ask which hires you.

Engineering is weird. entry level slots are hard to come by, but once you get your PE you literally have to kill your Linkedin to keep headhunters off your nuts.

>Sales Science
>Computer Science
Neither are real sciences
Neither impart much knowledge
Neither give transferable skills
Neither are necessary for a job in the field
>I wouldn't say it would be good to have a billion people with a [degree]
Also true

But it's an apples to oranges comparison.

PE?

personal experience ?

your stamp

Computer science is a science. I actually would say it's related to math as astronomy is related to physics. Just take a look at CLRS (introduction to algorithms).

Why the fuck are there so many business and management degrees?

Why is psychology and biology so much larger than neuroscience?

>Neither are real sciences
Computer science isn't a real science like mathematics isn't a real science.
>Neither impart much knowledge
Take a look at the average CS textbook and then try to say that with a straight face
>Neither give transferable skills
This one actually made me lol, no matter your field nowadays, odds are it's gonna have something to do with computers and developing a good grasp of algorithm fundamentals and data structures is almost universally applicable in research, actuarial, statistics and even engineering.
>Neither are necessary for a job in the field
except most software developer/engineer positions require a cs degree to even get your foot in the door. The reason why some places are lenient is because there aren't enough CS grads to fill even half of the positions available right now. Not the same for a saturated field like business.

Shit. What is the job prospect for biologists right now?

Pretty good considering Mcdonalds is always hiring

>Why the fuck are there so many business and management degrees?
People having romanticized views and thinking they will A) Work on wall street B) Run their own business

>Why is psychology and biology so much larger than neuroscience?
Psy and bio are popular pre med degrees and are offered practically everywhere. Both are also easier and less specific, so free A's on that med application

It's gotta be bio. So many women go into because "I luv animals", it's bucking ridiculous

>*fucking ridiculous
I hate phone posting

It is a science whether you like it or not.

Not a particularly rigorous one, you can make complaints about that all you want, but a science nonetheless.

>about to get my BS in microbiology and want to take a gap year to work

please have higher opportunities in SoCal

Maths isn't science

>Computer science isn't a real science like mathematics isn't a real science.
Forgetting software engineering-focused CS degrees exist
>Take a look at the average CS textbook and then try to say that with a straight face
Done. Learned CS module materials in a matter of weeks.
>This one actually made me lol, no matter your field nowadays, odds are it's gonna have something to do with computers and developing a good grasp of algorithm fundamentals and data structures is almost universally applicable in research, actuarial, statistics and even engineering
Forgetting glorified software engineering degrees exist, user. Learn to be a programmer, be a programmer for the rest of your life. No transferable skills. Also, scientists, engineers, and mathematicians that learn programming become researchers, actuaries, statisticians, and engineers. CS grads become software engineers.
>except most software developer/engineer positions require a cs degree to even get your foot in the door. The reason why some places are lenient is because there aren't enough CS grads to fill even half of the positions available right now. Not the same for a saturated field like business.
Factually incorrect. They require you to answer some easy interview questions (yes, even for CS grads, shocking how little they trust them). Many simply do not care what your degree is in as long as you can code. Do not assume everyone working as a software developer/engineer is a CS grad, and do not assume the best are CS grads.

I'm studying for muh stamp right now. Shit's crazy.

When people say "we need more STEM graduates", do you think they're talking about psychology?

What the fuck is with this CS is easy meme? Some kind of jealousy? It's the same lever of difficulty as the other engineering fields.

Perhaps you people are just going to brainlet Universities.

>Be physics grad
>Study masters in computing
>Complete 1.5 times the courseload in half the time
>Other students in other computing masters programmes with backgrounds in nursing, political science, and art
Somehow "CS is easy" is a meme?

It's not a science because it is impossible to prove causation

>ITT community college autists who watch biel degrasse tyson telling 6 figure CS majors their degree doesn't count

Where you do study?

I'm almost finished a physics/chem eng undergrad but I fucking hate chem enj (should have quit sooner but kept putting it off) and want to do a computing/electrical eng masters/postgrad.

what do you think are my chances?

In the UK. Your chances of getting into a masters degree in computing is pretty good, especially if you have some experience with simulation, or programming experience; you should draw attention to this in your cover letter.
Electrical engineering masters I don't know about, but I would imagine you'd be well-equipped for that, too, since you'll know all the physics required, and will know something about control theory also.

Sounds good, cheers man

Studying Physics

Should I learn German or French?

Is learning German a meme? Seriously wondering as a German

why would it be a meme

>forgetting non software engineering focused degrees exist
Seriously you seem to be focused on the fact that there are degrees dedicated to software engineering as if that was a trivial pursuit that could easily be self learned.
Even if that was the case, which it's not, not everyone goes the software engineering route, anything IT or computer related can be done with a CS degree and yes can be done best by a CS major. Besides a software engineering focused degree is essentially an applied maths degree.

>Done. Learned CS module materials in a matter of weeks.
I highly doubt any serious employer outside of the web/app development industry would consider you with such lack luster knowledge. Most freshmen probably know more than you in terms of programming and they don't have a bachelors degree(which based on your tiresome pontification about the merits of "real science" degrees I assume you have)
>Forgetting glorified software engineering degrees exist, user. Learn to be a programmer, be a programmer for the rest of your life. No transferable skills. Also, scientists, engineers, and mathematicians that learn programming become researchers, actuaries, statisticians, and engineers. CS grads become software engineers.
>assuming you only learn how to program
>assuming that electives don't exist
>assuming that minors don't exist
>assuming that non-brainlet schools require 200,300 and 400 level pure maths and statistics.etc.etc
> assuming CS grads don't ever become researchers, actuaries, statisticians, and engineers
>assuming grad school doesn't exist

>They require you to answer some easy interview questions (yes, even for CS grads, shocking how little they trust them).
Please tell me what you majored in,because the way in which you blatantly misrepresent the facts is astonishing?
I know licenced engineers with decent GPA's from accredited and sought after schools, that can't find work because employers don't trust they know how to do the job.

The same can be done in reverse. A Bcs can get a masters in physics or engineering and computer 1.5 times the course load in half the time.

english>french>mandarin>german>japanese>arabic

>mandarin
good meme

Wow, fucking sign me up for neuroscience and forensics I guess.

>english>french>mandarin>german>japanese>arabic

LEL. Brainlet detected. The only non-meme language one should master is English. In my uni there are different types of English classes that cover academic writing to oral communication and they are compulsory to take every semester.

why not atmospheric sciences?

Except no. Very unlikely you will even get into a masters in physics or engineering without the appropriate physics or engineering or mathematics background.

>Seriously you seem to be focused on the fact that there are degrees dedicated to software engineering as if that was a trivial pursuit that could easily be self learned.
It most certainly, absolutely can.
>Even if that was the case, which it's not
It certainly is
t. I've seen it
>not everyone goes the software engineering route, anything IT or computer related can be done with a CS degree and yes can be done best by a CS major
Absolutely not
t. I've seen it
>Besides a software engineering focused degree is essentially an applied maths degree.
Absolutely not
t. Absolutely not in the slightest at all; do you know what maths is?
>I highly doubt any serious employer outside of the web/app development industry would consider you with such lack luster knowledge. Most freshmen probably know more than you in terms of programming and they don't have a bachelors degree(which based on your tiresome pontification about the merits of "real science" degrees I assume you have)
What's so sad about this is that I expected this much, as well. They didn't. Some of the CS undergrads in my masters struggled with the material more than me; not just in the mathematical material either. inb4 brainlet university; it's a top ten
>assuming you only learn how to program
This is more or less all you learn. There's some options for basic maths or some business or some other fluff to pad it out, but ultimately a degree in programming is programming-focused.
>assuming that electives don't exist
Right, so... Fluff. Also, I'm not American.
>assuming that minors don't exist
Make it a major, and then we'll talk about CS as a useful minor
>assuming that non-brainlet schools require 200,300 and 400 level pure maths and statistics.etc.etc
Spectrum from glorified software eng -> watered-down maths. Not impressive either way.
>assuming CS grads don't ever become researchers, actuaries, statisticians, and engineers
They struggle more
t. CS researcher

>assuming grad school doesn't exist
Waiting for grad school to get to the hard stuff in CS, for which other majors are better suited. Why??
>Please tell me what you majored in,because the way in which you blatantly misrepresent the facts is astonishing?
Physics. Then MSc CS. Then work in industry. Then PhD CS. Shocking, I know. You'd expect me to know about CS, wouldn't you?
>I know licenced engineers with decent GPA's from accredited and sought after schools, that can't find work because employers don't trust they know how to do the job.
"Licensed engineers" are a different thing entirely. You can't compare with CS. There's no such thing as a licensed software engineer.

Bear in mind, I'm obviously shitposting, but what makes this entertaining for me is that this is all actually true. I'm just not being diplomatic about it and pretending I think there's much value to majoring in CS. Experience has taught me very differently.

Kek, you are so naive. Software development is exactly one of those fields, where experience is infinitely more valuable than formal education for entry level positions. I've had colleagues with shit GPA from shit universities come in solely on a basis of a good github portfolio. This at a respectable firm. Yes, a ML position at Google will require some credentials, but for 'normal' developers this is certainly not the case. The amount of math in CS undergrad you learn is laughable compared to both math and physics majors. It really doesn't qualify a 'applied math education'. Yes, there are ways to spice it up with minors and electives, but it's still primarily an engineering degree glazed over with some academic rigour. A good undergrad math degree with some programming experience is both more practically useful and more respected in the industry. Switch if you still have the chance and thank me later.

t. BSc CS, MSc Math

>science with a pvalue of 15%

compared to physics which is 0.1%

That's Dr. BigMac to you

> using p values

Why should you learn German if almost everything is published in English?

Not much reason to learn German to read papers, but there ARE a large number of papers published in other languages.

i wanted to move to Germany

what languages?

Actually keked at all of these. idk what brainlet CC's you fellas are referring to, but at most serious universities the drop out rate for CS is pretty high for first years, because people can't handle the math and lack the problem solving skills to handle the hurdles thrown at them by a CS degree. So much so that iv'e started to see CS majors with a greater focus on electives for first year, to deter dropouts.

Iv'e actually been approached by both the physics and maths department at my university and i've been encouraged to switch to their respective sides.

At this point i'm considering a double major in one of those fields at most. I respect rigor in my education, but what I don't respect is a lack of employment prospects for Bsc holders in those respective fields.

Yes if and when you become get a decent masters or even better a Phd, you will be pretty valuable, but until than your pretty unemployable.

On the other hand, iv'e seen cs grads from my school, land 6 figures and a plane ticket to silicon valley,or an offer from spacex/NASA/Boeing straight out of graduation.

You can't deny that this does happen, especially if your top of your class. You can always grab a Msc in physics or math later on, if you wan't to bolster your value.

If you can prove me wrong please do, I actually really enjoy pure maths/physics and enjoy being challenged to the point of mental exhaustion(not sarcasm) and I am in a position to switch degrees, without falling behind to much.

Fucking chinese mang

They dont give a FUCK about translations

It literally cannot be math... r-right?
just look at grad school math.

>pic not related

>at most serious universities the drop out rate for CS is pretty high for first years, because people can't handle the math and lack the problem solving skills to handle the hurdles thrown at them by a CS degree
So brainlets enrol in CS courses and the least brainlet stay on?
>On the other hand, iv'e seen cs grads from my school, land 6 figures and a plane ticket to silicon valley,or an offer from spacex/NASA/Boeing straight out of graduation.
What do you know, software engineers are highly sought after (also, why didn't you include all the other STEM graduates that work in silicon valley on 6 figures? this is posted a lot, but: wired.com/2017/01/move-coders-physicists-will-soon-rule-silicon-valley/)

Basically, if you're in STEM for intellectual challenge or for jobs, you're in the right field. If you're doing something mathematical, and enjoying it, you're doing the right subject.
I am very disappointed in CS though, for the reason most CS course haven't decided what they want to be yet, and since most graduate CS programmes/highest paid jobs/research in CS is better suited to grads in other subjects, so something is certainly wrong there.

>what languages?
Mostly English, but a lot of Spanish, Portuguese and Chinese.

for what field is this?
also, what site can i find this?

[spoiler]can i change the portuguese flag into Brazilian flags in the site?[/spoiler]

those are objectively the most used languages that business is conducted in.

who said anything about business?
they were talking about the academic world

you have to take a seperate exam for it?

fuck you
brazil is shit

its two exams. you take the first one fresh out of college (or you should). then after 4-5 years of working under another PE you take the final exam. the experience part is a bitch because the work you do has to be "increasing in complexity and responsibility", meaning you can't just be a CAD monkey for 4 years and call it good.

[spoiler]i want to trigger some portuguese people[/spoiler]

You triggered me
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

This.
Low-iq clowns who study at shitty unis (just see the /uni/ general lmao) and haven't produced a single research paper claiming that cs isn't science.

Quantity =/= quality. I'm brazilian and most papers here are trash and useless. I'm fucking sure that french papers (1/3 of portuguese's ones) are way more influential

ITT: Butthurt CS fags scared that maybe CS isn't going to guarantee them a well-payed job; looking for affirmation

>STEM graduates that work in silicon valley on 6 figures?
You misunderstand, I am not arguing that other stem majors are lesser, by that I mean just because someone didn't major in CS doesnt mean they wont land a cushy silicon valley job.

I am arguing that CS can be worthwhile, and that you already know this, but are letting a few bad apples spoil the bunch.
The only reason you'll find retards in CS(and I agree they exist I would be being dishonest to argue otherwise), is because of the close intersection of CS with the game development industry. Way to many autists go into CS hoping to become a game dev of some kind and end up flunking out or altering their degree so that they can get by with the least possible math.

But there are those in CS that are champions of academia they excel in math and science and they plan to revolutionize the field one day, these people often go on to do great things and they can easily go toe to toe intellectually with other stem majors.

These people exist, can we agree on this at least.

What's that supposed to mean?

>just because someone didn't major in CS doesnt mean they wont land a cushy silicon valley job.
And just because someone majored in CS doesn't mean they'll land a cushy silicon valley job. Most don't.
>I am arguing that CS can be worthwhile, and that you already know this, but are letting a few bad apples spoil the bunch.
Worthwhile for the individual, maybe. But I'm not convinced their time wouldn't be better spent pursuing a more enriching subject if they planned on doing something more than just getting a job.
>But there are those in CS that are champions of academia they excel in math and science and they plan to revolutionize the field one day, these people often go on to do great things and they can easily go toe to toe intellectually with other stem majors.
Absolutely, my advisor is one of them. The people who will revolutionise the field are the ones doing the research, and a large amount of the research is done by people from other backgrounds, which is why I think that means something needs to be done about undergraduate CS to give undergrads more tools for research, or even transferable skills.