I've been watching some giant monster films lately...

I've been watching some giant monster films lately, and it makes me wonder about how the anatomy of such a creature could realistically work to allow it to even function.

Let's say there's a fictional creature that's around 150 meters long in length stretched out from top to bottom, and it can walk, swim, and fly. It should be relatively fast in these kinds of locomotion, if it were human sized it should be able to run at 80 kilometers per hour, swim at 90 kilometers per hour, and fly at 150 kilometers per hour. Also obviously it should be able to survive for a while, like over a human lifespan.

How would its organs, circulatory system, bones, and nervous system work?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They wouldn't.

>How would its organs, circulatory system, bones, and nervous system work?
They wouldn't, cube-square law, the strength of a creature's bones increases proportional to the square of their radius while its math increases proportional to its cube, this makes it physically impossible for such a large creature to even support its own mass with anything resembling conventional bones. And the idea of such a massive creature flying is just absolutely ludicrous.

A creature of such dimensions could theoretically exist in the oceans, but it wouldn't be able to support such a complex anatomy, it would end up in the form of a fish or whale, give or take a few small fins or limbs, and its caloric needs would be insane, even feeding full-time it would exhaust entire areas of ocean just to barely survive.

Well maybe taking examples from the structures of large man-made machines could help. What if the creature had an anatomy oddly similar to a jumbo jet?

You would probably need fibre optic cables to send nerve impulses fast enough

Time traveler here.
The creature was first rediscovered by our AI in 2342 the exact DNA sequence of this creature was artificially created in 2346 by Zeta (previously know as alphabet/Google) bioprinter. This was the 202 iteration of creature printing on the device. What we hadn't realized is that if we failed to check some of the more outlandish projects before hand there could be problems. Well in 2348 the first zypod (creature in question) was 'born' out of its own artificial womb chamber. This lead to one of the worst self inflicted problems man has ever caused.

The creature was born with a weight of 463 tons, it made no sound whatsoever so we were unsure as to what it would do in the presence of another. After 3 years of little to no 'useful' information gleaned from this subject we made another and placed them together in a large fenced area. The zypods immediately started burrowing, something we never thought possible.

We attempted to euthanize them however they were impervious to all our most dangerous substances/devices.We finally managed to kill one with an antimatter bomb the size of a basketball. The other however had been lost and all attempts to find it were futile. We assumed it had been obliterate, we were wrong.

It would work just like the anatomy of a dinosaur would.

Ten years after this incident it happened. The first one was spotted above Maui flying at over 300 mph barely recognizable as a living creature. It had been so massive initial reports called it a UFO and had religious groups foaming at the mouth. It wasn't long before the second...And then the third... After it was all said and done 18 were cataloged. We employed the world's leading bioengineers to creature a predator for this creature but this proved impossible. Completely immune to disease and bacterial infections we were left with the only option of grenadine them with antimatter bombs. We bombed 3 in total with the last one being the most destructive.. to us.

Pretty much what said. There is a reason why we don't see anything bigger than the Argentinosaurus (which is already massive). As things get bigger, it becomes exponentially more difficult for them to properly function.

You might be able to pick swimming, moving, or flying but absolutely not all three. Even then it would have to be made of inorganic materials. It would need an incredibly energy dense substance to keep it alive and those resources simply don't exist organically. It would be like trying to fuel a jumbo jet off chocolate milkshakes and butter. A gallon of gas has about 30,000 calories compared to 4,000 in a gallon of milkshake.

Well is there ANY molecule from the periodic table that could be feasible for this kind of energy density? If so, it could be applied to the biological process.

Plus the only reason the dinos got as big as they did was because of the higher levels of o2 back in the day. Some stupid monster that size would suffocate in a few minutes.

We made the mistake of killing one out of a pack of 5 while the other 4 had witnessed the event. We should've known they had the mental capacity to learn and converse with each other but we just didn't think that far ahead. 2 weeks after the last bombing we had our antimatter production facilities attacked worldwide. They knew we could no longer harm them and decided to retaliate. Normally they ate foliage as well as large amounts of fish, but apparently we now sounded more appetizing. There was reports in China of them leveling entire cities in order to feed there everlasting hunger. After 3 months of worldwide feeding frenzies we knew we couldn't beat them. The remaining ~2 million of us decided to hide in cave systems where we currently remain. We are able to sustain this population through mushroom farming and cave fishing however our leading scientists predict we won't be able much longer.

while living things could get this big, and arguably have if you count colonial trees as one lifeforms. The problem is that for all the reasons mentioned by others, normal animal systems start to fail and at such large sizes would need to be replaced with something more efficient and so different we likely would not even classify these creatures as proper animals anymore.

additionally ignoring the physical limitations, they would struggle to find enough food to sustain a significant population of such creatures.

The most realistic examples I can think of is
1: a very long, narrow and nearly flat organism the moves very slowly in a manner similar to a starfish across the ocean floor, eating organic debris from the upper layers. a creature like this would still probably risk starvation and be vulnerable to predication and parasites.

2: the closest thing to what you describe would probably need to be a light as air fish or balloon shaped organism with most of it's size in a huge gas bladder. it would probably get it's food by the anaerobic oxidation of methane or other atmospheric gasses by bacteria living symbiotically inside of it, which isn't possible in earths atmosphere earth right now.

I guess it would depend on how much energy it needed. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density has a good chart of energy densities. If it ate a couple hundred liters of straight animal fat, in theory it could stay alive. It's hard to predict how much more energy would be required for it to move around quickly

Also, if it were to look anything like the giant monsters from movies, it's skeleton would probably have to be metal as anything else would not be able to support the weight.

It would also be pretty damn slow because
a) longer distance for nerve relay but this could theoretically be solved by a secondary brain (I think that is how pacific rim did it).
b) Greater mass means greater torque, and alot more energy spent on acceleration/deceleration.

i think it was godzilla the one with two brains

Wait, are you saying kaiju movies and anime are retarded and I've wasted my life?

Multiple redundancy up the wazoo would be had.

The 2nd kind of creature is described in carl sagans cosmos

>hiding

Lmao cuck

>Wait, are you saying kaiju movies and anime are retarded and I've wasted my life?

Kaiju evolved on lower gravity planets... the "adrenaline rush" of battle on earth allows them to fight for a time.

Very.
Anime in general is retarded on all points, including the psychology of the characters and the technology validity. It's all just to entertain yourself, not to be realistic.

It's unlikely to work on Earth given the current biology.

>Mushroom farming
>Cave fishing
This must be minecraft.

Could I drink gasoline as a cheap substitute for my daily food then? If theres 30k calories in 1 gallon of gas I only have to spend (1/12 * 2.55) per day on food???

Yes.

Drink up.

They would need an alien biochemistry to work since earth biochemistry goes to shit the larger an organism becomes.

The bones would have to be some diamond fiber to sustain the weight.

All those massive creatures would need wildly different matierals for their flesh/bones or whatever makes them up in order to survive. Basically, "magic" in whatever form. Godzilla gets a pass merely because it runs off nuclear power of some sort. Thus, it doesn't fall dead from lack of oxygen. Oxygen is really the only thing preventing massive slow creatures from starting to evolve. After that things get murky since there needs to be distributed support systems and unique bones structures to handle the weight and move energy around respectively. Food intake would essentially be everything possible.

> 2300s
> no space colonies
> something organic is somehow resistant to even modern anti ship missiles

shin godzilla kind of had it right in that it would have to be nuclear powered in order to be that big and do all that stuff.

>square-cube law
bones rekt
>laplace law
heart rekt

funnily enough its nervous system would function really well

make your imaginary monster more believable

If Godzilla were real, he'd need to eat 139 fully grown humans, or 6 killer whales a day in order to sustain healthy conditions.

>antimatter bomb the size of a basketball
So you destroyed the entire planet.

it wouldn't be able to feed itself

>What if the creature had an anatomy oddly similar to a jumbo jet?
Jumbo jets aren't made of flesh.

>destroyed the planet but not the monster

>the year is 2350 give or take
>our supermasive AI systems can create new fantastical life from nothing
>whoops who would have thought it has a brain!

could be done bioluminescent-wise, or maybe copper or iron could be bioaccumulated into conductive channels

Yeah IMO the pressures needed to get blood pumped up that high would be insane

Nah m8, IIRC the original 100MT design of tsar bomb would free up 5kg of mass energy when it detonates, given containment technology an antimatter bomb the size of a basketball would have much less yield

To exceed the gravitational binding energy of the earth (2*10^32 Joules)
you would need 2.23*10^15 kg of half/falf matter-antimatter mix, which is like roughly the mass of lake ontario

>monster films
>could realistically work
no.jpg

>also pic related is ~15 kt, not 5 Mt

Doesn't the cube-square law only work for scaling creatures up or down? It shouldn't matter when the creature is engineered specifically to be gigantic

>150m long
>if it were human sized it should be able to run at 80kmph

lol are u fucking retarded that'd mean it runs at like mach 5 at 150m

>And the idea of such a massive creature flying is just absolutely ludicrous.
>what is an a380
>what is a rocket

Propelled by combustion?

all animals are propelled by combustion including humans

Doesn't combustion entail flame? There is no flame when we "burn" carbohydrates

Large creatures can't exist for two reasons.

Number 1, not enough oxygen in the air which is critical for large animals.

Number 2, the force of gravity acts more on a larger object so it's bones would have to be hollow and filled with a gas lighter than air.

It's mass would crush itself to death and it would drown in it's own fluids.

I'm surprised you didn't know this, since I came to these conclusions when I was like 5.

This is simply a thought experiment. It's practically impossible for life like this to exist now, but hypothetically if it did, what kind of chemicals and organic processes would it need to survive? You've stated it wouldn't have enough oxygen, well maybe it needs a different kind of lung that can extract even more air from its surroundings, and maybe its cells would follow a vastly different biochemistry allowing them to be many times more fuel efficient. And it couldn't have light bones, since it needs strong bones to run and propel itself from the ground for flight, so its strong bones would have an immense tactile strength using materials found in rockets or deep sea submarines probably.