A CONFEDERACY OF DUNCES

Have ya'll read this? I spend no time in Veeky Forums because I have real friends, so maybe you're worshiping him on the weekend.

But man, Ignatius is an og prince of Veeky Forums. The perversions, the gluttony, the yelling, the delusional grip of reality. Toole wrote one of the original neckbeards, the man had a crystal ball.

Goodness put it on your list.

"Oh, my God!"

I will not have his candidacy for royalty ignored.

Nigga it's my favorite book

overrated

Am I too believe a mongoloid like you could differentiate between passionate honest memoirs and whatever hedonistic pulp you have stuffed in between your mattresses!?

honestly ignatius is a much more complex character than most people realize, though the implementation of his critique is misguided. Boethius is also pretty legit.

overall the characters are a bit too farcical, especially Mrs. Levy

How do you draw the line on "too farcical"? Couldn't you just as easily admit they're perfectly farcical?

>ok but mrs. levy is a little weak
>eat my toole

I remember the forward was like "yeah his mom sent this in after he killed himself and it was too damn good not to publish'.
I think he was a neckbear, that's why he could write such a great one. Such a sensitive guy I think, he does the other characters really well too. I was charmed, but I put it down because I realized that if I read anymore it would influence my writing too much.

But actually, was it semi-autobiographical?

I wouldn't worry about the influence, we won't be hearing about you until after your suicide as well.

I dunno, didn't bother to check.
I asked for that one didn't I.

I can't help comparing it with Oscar Wao because of the obese protagonists. For all its flaws, I think did Diaz did a better job in the character department, though I know realism wasn't the point of Confederacy.

That being said, when a character has a catch phrase I think you've gone too far.
>leave the board out of this

I've read that the size of Ignatius and his temperament were based off a fellow professor Toole had met during his teaching.

However, the jab's about getting a master degree, the overly educated sloth, the overeating and lack of sexual contact (homosexual thoughts); that's all Toole.

In fact Toole at one point held work as desk clerk and hotdog vendor at different points. Plus, he had a crazy relationship with his mother as well. Definitely domineering, and she's subverted the suicide letter he wrote to her.

Ehh, Mrs. Levy was never meant to be more than caricature. Her entire relationship with Gus was clearly meant to be farcical. How could it not be after the Trixie ordeal, or the hilarity of Sandra and Sasha. And in that sense it fits with the rest of the book quite nicely.

Dear My Working Boy,

I got about halfway through, and it suddenly felt very pessimistic to me, and the author suddenly struck me as pathetic, and I put it down and never returned.

rest in peace

this book sucked. god it sucked. people are so obsessed with this fucking book, and it was sub-entry tier shit.

literally a DFW of his time. motherfucker killed himself and his book becomes a beloved classic. for fuck's sake. stop feeding this meme shit!

The non-Ignatius chapters were sometimes tedious, but overall I liked it. Myrna Minkoff was the perfect foil for Ignatius. Their letters were definitely the strongest material in the book.

It's probably one of my favorite books ever

I've struggled to find anything really like it, but I think it's one of a kind.
Does anyone have suggestions for funny/satirical novels outside of the normal Catch-22, Hitchhiker's Guide, etc. It doesn't have to strictly be a book focused on comedy, just have a genuine sense of humor

you're a god damn reddit pleb.

Give recommendations of what you would consider wholesome comedy

My whole point is that everyone only says the same generic reddit shit, and out of all of them I like Confederacy the most, because the author doesn't feel like some snarky douche constantly trying to wow me with his witty quips. Which is what you get with that other garbage

Did not enjoy the book. I do enjoy humor lit, like Loki's child, but I really don't enjoy books like this or the Missionaries. I just have a hard time separating them from real life, as they often take real choices that I just don't find funny. There isn't enough humor lit.

rabelais.

Just picked this up tonight, reading it for the third time. Ooo-wee!!

Hey come back

I'm so looking forward to my future, you're about to stun me with your literary taste.

(this was op)

>tfw valve is closed

You people ARE Ignatius do you not want to see that?

I read it. While it's pretty funny, there isn't any value in it besides that. Pretty sure it only got that Pulitzer because the author killed himself.

Hunger by Knut Hamsun

The Third Policeman

It's largely based on Toole. It's likely that the physical appearance is based on professor Bob Byrne, but Byrne himself (who was a rather eccentric academic) says that he saw a lot of Ignatius in Toole, even though the latter was a pretty guarded individual. Toole was a pretty conservative guy and pretty straight edgy, and I think he appreciated how much his own character contrasted with the culture of New Orleans and likely took himself very seriously but also possessed enough self-awareness to be able to step away from that and see how odd he may appear. It's an amazing character, and it's easy to imagine his reaction in any given situation, which says a lot about how well illustrated he is.

There's plenty of value. There's a discussion about black rights, workers rights, a rather sad depiction of a lonely widow trying to find love in old age, the changing social attitudes in the 50s and 60s. Also considering Toole's own life and psychology I find it a pretty tragic book. A guy who is paranoically trapped by a world he despises whose depressive temperament is a burden to his worn-down but loyal mother. Imagine Ignatius completing his manifesto and having it rejected for several years, I imagine it would be a much darker story.

is that all it takes?

i don't jerk off to my dog.

I could see the point about Toole's life story being told in this book, but Ignatius is such a caricature that it's hard to take him seriously.

The other points I feel are simply glossed over.

I think DFW succeeded in Infinite Jest because even though he touches on many topics, sometimes half-heartedly, by the end he formulates a thesis that is backed up by the events of the book. A Confederacy of Dunces does not attempt to make any deeper point than ridiculing Ignatius, which again, would work if the author tried to make Ignatius a deeper character.

you have to have discernable talent tho, you can't just be an effed up joker in a do-rag

I don't think Toole is ridiculing Ignatius. It's a much more subtle sort of send-up based on kicking around academia for years and years.

Being quite similar to Toole himself and reading details about his life and his book, my conclusion is that Ignatius is someone who desperately wants attention, to be called smart. He's a fool because he ignores the people who do praise him, on this endless Don Quixote quest to get to some sort of magical resolution where he is appreciated for who he is instead of the dumb things that he spouts out of his mouth. He's constantly bumbling forwards, unable to solve his own problems but ready to give anyone else the answer he thinks he has for them.
The real confederacy of dunces is inside Ignatius.
Could be me projecting, but I have a feeling that's as close as anyone gets without further research or asking his dead spirit.