Can we destroy our own planet?

can we destroy our own planet?
max destruction not just scratching on the surface.

Other urls found in this thread:

qntm.org/destroy
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it'll happen when another country tells america to GTFO

We could cause an extinction event, yes, but complete destruction, like breaking our planet up in pieces? Not rly.

I believe we have the capability with a couple of well placed Tsar Bombas

No, not even close. I doubt we could even exterminate all human life, let alone REALLY fuck things up. The world is BIG.

GTFO

SHIEEEEEEET

Nah senpai.
We need an Exterminatus type ship to do that.

We could probably destroy most chances of life if we tried too. But I don't think we'd be able to Alderaan it.

sure, well just have to do a little more research on vacuum decay

Definitely not at the moment. I would say we might in the future but I can't see any reason for a government that is sufficiently advanced enough to produce a weapon like that to do so. Blowing the earth to pieces destroys you too, and while there could be a few crazy scientists who might be insane enough to do it, no government, even in their wrong mind, would fund such a project. At least that's what I hope. It might be wishful thinking that at heart humans aren't entirely self destructive, because we did manage to avoid nuclear war, but on the other hand we came way too close for comfort.

>hit the earth with two rods of neutronium and antimatter
>weaken the crust by detonating hydrogen bombs manufactured on the bottom of the oceans at key locations
>planet is kill

Yes, plastic bags, carbon dioxide and temperatures rising 0.0001 degree a thousand years destroy it completely, don't you watch the news?

No, it's impossible because to actually 'destroy' it you'd need to give a majority of it the energy necessary to reach escape velocity, which would be an absolutely ludicrous amount of energy.

Destroying all life on the surface and rendering it permanently uninhabitable is within our capability though - all you need is for the USA and Russia to fire all their nukes at each other and the resulting dust and smoke would reduce the average temperature by twenty degrees Celcius for several hundred years. There would also be very high levels of radiation that would quickly spread across the globe. As for whether anything at all survives this, something might but it would be the end of mankind and all higher forms of life.

>> How to destroy the Earth

qntm.org/destroy

>>For the purposes of what I hope to be a technically and scientifically accurate document, I will define our goal thus: by any means necessary, to change the Earth into something other than a planet or a dwarf planet.

>>The International Astronomical Union defines a planet as:

>>a celestial body that

>> 1. is in orbit around the Sun
>> 2. has sufficient mass for its self-gravity to overcome rigid body forces so that it assumes a hydrostatic equilibrium (nearly round) shape, and
. has cleared the neighbourhood around its orbit

>> These definitions instantly suggest some very simple ways of stripping the Earth of its planethood, such as hurling it into interstellar space, moving it into orbit around a gas giant, or moving it into a solar orbit whose neighbourhood is not cleared (the main asteroid belt being the most obvious choice). A slightly less obvious method would be redefining "planet" not to include the Earth. Naturally, these methods (the latter of which is by far the most feasible method listed in this document) will not be considered to count - redefining something doesn't make it go away.

>> We are left, therefore, with the challenge of significantly altering the Earth's physical structure, or else reducing its mass such that it can maintain a shape which is not round. For example: blowing it up, turning it into a dust cloud, merging it with a larger body, et cetera.

Interesting read, but I don't know much about the actual math he uses, some other Veeky Forumsentist might be able to pitch in here

10/10
Would super villain again.

build giant thruster on moon, crash it into the earth
didn't any of you guys ever play Defender on ps2?

Yes.

However it would take a few hundred thousand years. We'd need to nudge Mars off course so it eventually slams into us. The Delta V required would be outstanding, but doable in the extreme long term.

Baring a collision from another plant or degrading our orbit so it crashes into the sun, there's no way for us to destroy the Earth (the moon isn't large enough and won't have enough Delta V).

If black holes were real and humanity could create one large enough, that could destroy the Earth.

We can't destroy the earth, but we can extinct of life( except microscopic organisms). Circumstances are that we can dig only dig 12 miles deep since Russia tried to dig to 15, but the hard 'layer' couldn't give way. This also was tested by us and found patterns of 12. This is weird though there's lots of number patterns. This can change if somehow I gone to another universe though. Posted: 3/15/17( March 15, 2017).

>Posted: 3/15/17( March 15, 2017)

i mean, there is a difference between just scratching on the surface, and wiping out all life within the earth's atmosphere and oceans with the exception of extremophile bacteria in remote locations which we are capable of

but in terms of actual physical destruction of the planet, we aren't there yet, it's one of those things that we could probably accomplish with a couple hundred years of dedicating most of mankinds resources but will never do because of politics and economics (and why the fuck would we want to), kinda like terraforming Mars

Theres nowhere you could put a thousand Tsar Bombas to have any even remotely noticeable effect on the Earth.

We could use explode a shitload of bombs to get the moon out of orbit, in a colision route with Earth. How much energy that would take? I don't know.

Humans could ruin the atmosphere which would leave the earths surface exposed to space and maybe that would turn the planet into something like mars. Or humans could try to sling the moon into the earth some how, causing some surface damage. Or what if humans altered the trajectory of the earth's orbit into the sun, that would probably destroy the earth.

Humans could, with all a combined effort, flying in the face of their own survival and reason, destroy the earth so that no life could live there, evermore. Not immediately, but if humans for some reason didn't care about themselves, the sum of all human technology, applied with the express purpose of wiping out life, could accomplish it. Accidentally, or through our own natural machinations, no, life will outlast us.

No the amount of energy it would take to destroy an area the size of the state of Nebraska would kill all of us from the debris.

Destroying planets is science fiction until you can figure out how to even generate exatons of energy while keeping it contained. A realistic planet destroying bomb would most likely be bigger than Mt Everest.

No. We can fuck ourselves up and everything on the immediate surface but we couldn't really tear the planet apart in any way.

No where near close to doing anything beyond scratching the surface.

actually, thats with lower yield bombs.
like what would have been used in the cold war, now a days nuclear bombs are so strong most radioactive particles escape the atmosphere.
Also you would need like 150+ bombs to reduce the temp of earth so much.

>150+ bombs
Is 40'000 enough?

You could probably do a domino effect, and just nudge something much smaller into something slightly larger so that impacts something even larger, etc. all the way up to the Moon into the Earth.

We can't let Trumpf get the nuclear codes.

Meteors deflection is probably the most realistic way.

Well what are the parameters? Using what we have now? And what counts as destruction?

faggot pls go

Great... now you got Dr.Doom thinking again.

This was a book by Greg Bear, wasn't it? Forge of God?

dig in deep enough into earth core and enjoy turning earth into hell

The best bet at the moment would be to capture a large astroid and attempt to move its orbit to a collision course with earth. Astroids are usually very heavy, so it will take considerable effort (and a lot of time as well), but I'm pretty sure if humanity really wanted to do that, they would manage.