>rich asf but it's too late to be a writer now

Other urls found in this thread:

whatsmypercent.com?income=220000
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Look up Wallace Stevens

what the fuck are you talking about?
you have plenty of time
do you have the talent?

also, how much do you make and where did you go to law school?

ya haha...never seen a lawyer who was a man of letters! what a weird thought right! they must not be the creative types just analytical and good at counting money like me!

haha..!

I don't know if you know this but lawyers are some of the biggest writers in history so you must be memeing me. Look at the guys who founded america, plenty of lawyers, look at the guys making up the constituent assembly in 19th century france, plenty of lawyers, including alexander tocqueville.

don't meme me user i won't fall for it.

I have no time i'm 30
idk
idk
around 220k
yale

He has no time, nor is he really rich af.

Reading manuscripts from lawyers is the most boring thing on the planet.

They spend pages and pages on insignificant details, yet pay very little attention to any sort of overall story. Their shit reads like some kind of legal briefing.

you must be really fucking dumb if you went to yale and are making 220k at 30

stop cosplaying and go back to shitposting on /r9k/ or osmething

wtf how out of touch are you that 220k is a shit salary ?

I was a math major dude. I started at 300k right out of school

How is he dumb? He proabably took 4 years in undergrad, did something else for 2 or years, went to law school for 3 years, and is now a second- or third-year in a biglaw firm, all of which save a few pay identically.

220k is nothing at 30. Especially in law.

kys

220K is fine. He just started slightly later than others. If he started at 25, he'd still only be making like ~$280K.

Middle class pathetics. 220k is "rich". Nothing but a kek

For me, I think it's more the total exhaustion from working all day. If I were really motivated, I could squeeze in a couple of hours per day to write, but I just don't have the energy at the end of the day.

220k literally puts you in the 99th percentile for income
but ya being the 1% is "fine"
whatsmypercent.com?income=220000

Eh, it's not that great. I mean, it's not worth complaining about, but most of us have 6-figure loans and live in NYC.

Depends where you live. 220k in nowhere, kentucky is great. 220k in NYC or LA is nothing at all.

Also depends how you spend it. I know people who make 6 figures but don't have shit because they spend it like idiots, and I know people who make 20k a year but live great because they spend wisely.

If being objectively rich is "not that great", maybe it's a problem with you and not your salary

He fell for the NYC meme!!!

He could have worked in Dallas for the same salary and bought a penthouse after a year!!

Top kek!!

WELL

BOO

FUCKING

HOO

Wipe your tears with some greenbacks, you whining cunt.

t. student from a poor-as-fuck family who has to work evenings to keep food on our table

I don't want to live in Dallas, and by and late Texas firms won't just hire a random guy even from HYS without any ties to the area.

Also fell for the, "I'll just become a lawyer, and sell my morals and soul away, but It'll all be ok when I'm driving around in my ferrari and building my Mcmansion!"

Know a lot of idiots who thought that way. Most are on their third divorce now, all funds going to the ex's. They're alcoholics, or former, as I know them all from meetings. They all say the same shit too, that the money wasn't even that good, and wasn't worth it.

It could be worse. I'm killing myself to pay for a college degree, I don't want to live an almost comfortable lifestyle. I have no chance you however, probably still do.

Literally John Grisham, user.

T H I S D E S U
H E
I. S
S U

salary in law increases in a non-linear way. 220k is at very top end of what an associate makes; given that he's 30, op will likely start making much more in soon--that is, when (if) he makes partner.

anyway, OP, go into academia if you want more time; that door is always open for yls grads
you should probably wait and see if you make partner at your current firm before making any drastic life changes though, particularly if it's near on the horizon

seems like you've got a little selection bias going on there, eh?

>Bragging about salary
>On a (so-called) literature image-board

You disgust me

>man i'm so rich but i can't write anymore for some arbitrary reason better meme wojak pics because i just feel a lot like wojak right now :^)

normies ruin everything

He still has 5 or 6 years to go before he has a shot at partner. I don't know why you're commenting on this when you're uninformed. The salary scale is 180 for 1st years to 325 for 8th years (typically when you become eligible for partner). OP is a second- or third-year at most if he works in a major market.

Law school thread?
Law school thread.

Favorite cases?
Favorite field?
Favorite judge writing style?
Any sick memos due?
How articulate are your outlines?
How many times have you failed the bar?
Whats it like having no job prospects?
Did you ever bang that hot girl in your 1L section?
Did the volume of reading in law school crush your inner reader?
Does the void of fact and logic eat away at you when you read anything other than analysis?

Asking for a friend.

well boss, obviously because I thought I was informed

:)

So easy to harvest (You)s itt

Those people made dumb desicions, how stupid are you to think that being an idiot with your money and family life is part of the job?

idk user, a lot of big law firms these days require their partners to become physically dependent on alcohol because it slows their movements and makes them easier to keep track of

it's a changing market and clients tend to like a lawyer with at least a couple divorces under his belt; it means he really cares about his work

please do your research before posting

I appreciate the meme response, friend.

Ya it seems forgotten for whatever reason

Man, it's not entirely decisions; the environment kills you. How many relationships can survive someone continually and systematically having to cancel vacations, plans, etc. because work comes up? Coming home at 9 if you're lucky? Not to mention that the work is full of stress, awful deadlines, and an unending stream of work that you have to account for in 6-minute increments.

that seems like completely reasonable point

THIS

FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING GOD DON'T GET MARRIED YOU IDIOT

IF I SEE ONE MORE LAWYER SELL HIS SOUL AND DESTROY HIS MIND AND BODY JUST TO BE RICH BY 35-50, AND THEN GIVE IT ALL AWAY TO TWO STUPID FUCKING WOMEN, I'M GOING TO FIND HIM AND EAT HIM

THEY GOT EVERYTHING

THEY GOT THE HOUSE YOU BUILT FOR THEM, THEY GET THE STUPID KID WHO HATES YOU, THEY GOT ALIMONY OUT THE ASS FOR A BILLION YEARS

SECRETARIES DUDE, FUCKING ACTUAL SECRETARIES ARE SET FOR LIFE AND THE DUDE'S PAYING OFF TWO OR THREE OF THEM

LITERALLY SPEND YOUR WHOLE LIFE LEARNING HOW TO BE AN ICE COLD NIGGA JUST TO GET RICH AND THEN YOU GIVE IT AWAY BECAUSE SOME 6/10 BLONDE WITH A MEDIOCRE ASS AND A HORRIBLE PERSONALITY TOUCHES YOUR DUMB JEWISH DICK

BE SMART YOU STUPID LAWYER FUCK I'M TIRED OF WATCHING YOU IDIOTS GIVE FREE MONEY TO WHORES I'M NOT ALLOWED TO STRANGLE

I'm a big law associate 29 year old and you're retarded if you get married and have kids before age 35 as a lawyer. I focus on my work, build up my savings (about 2 mill invested gathering interest) and I'll be a rich fuck when I decide to leave big law. Other law jobs are intense no doubt but not all consuming like big law

Hey, you're right. It's dumb to do that. And yet, most young associates I work with are in long-term relationships that will no doubt fail or already married. It's just natural tendency. I also don't see how you accumulated anywhere near 2 million by 29 considering even WLRK couldn't have paid you enough to do that.

my dad works at nintendo already playing the nintendo switchs shit is cash

>Hot 1Ls
theyre all old(er than me) and either busted or married

>gave up my Veeky Forums career
career? let me guess you had great ideas for like 10 novels but never finished a page

I go to a very good law school and am getting good grades, I didnt participate in the biglaw recruit at all. I'd burn out or kill myself before getting anywhere near partner. The work bores me, the people revolt me.
Hope to get a comfy government job doing criminal appellant work. My family is quite wealthy and paid for a good chunk of my school so relieving my debt isn't the only thing on my mind like I know it is for a lot of my peers.

>My family is quite wealthy and paid for a good chunk of my school
does this feel right?
my family is also quite wealthy, but I don't want to live off pops's money forever

Feels better than 100k debt id imagine

I go to a very good law school
>My family paid for a good chunk of my school
>I'd burn out or kill myself before getting anywhere near partner.

are you me?
currently trying to figure out wtf to do for summer

I don't know how you plan on doing this except through DOJ Honors or something, which is super-competitive.

>Their shit reads like some kind of legal briefing.
they have been trained for this though

Writing is the one thing that you can do at any age.

Can I keep doing drugs while working for biglaw?

Cocaine is almost mandatory

the marxist-catholic days are over user

welcome the ultra-liberal fagtron age

On the 5% chance this thread isn't just a baitfest: What is the best kind of law to practice in order to retire at the youngest age? Corporate? Personal injury?
I finished my undergraduate this last spring and have taken the year off since to live with some friends as I work on finishing a short story collection and a novel. I am getting close to having to make a decision on which law school to attend Baylor (which has offered a free ride) or UT Austin (which has not accepted me as of yet but which I am anticipating some kind of offer from). My sole objective is to make enough dosh to a) pay off whatever debts I may incur if I end up going to Austin and b) allow me to comfortably either retire or take considerable swaths of time off to work on my fiction writing. So yeah, any recommendations from practicing lawyers or people more experienced with this stuff than myself would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly you should just get rich, retire early and spend the rest of your life in a cheap cottage reading and learning. That's kind of my plan at least. And even if you're 60 it's not too late to dedicate yourself to something since you'll be able to spend all day every day at hit and not have to worry about money.

I gave up my lawyer career to be a writer actually, two and a half years ago. I'm poor as fuck now but I'm happier than I've ever been.

I'll never understand people who value a car and penthouse more than children and place secretaries over a wife.

But then again it's the modernistic world and I see why. The goal is to work outside of a city. Those are hives of scum and villainy. Although it's not that the modernistic materialistic miasma isn't also seeping in the smaller towns.

t. BA Philosophy , BSc CS, candidate of law.
Couldn't find a job with philosophy, didn't want a job in CS- being a lawyer in a small town with a small office seems like the ideal Veeky Forums life after being an unemployed nihilist.

>tfw great salary
>unhappy and lonely
>always working
I thought the whole "money can't but happiness" thing was a meme perpetuated by poor people?

Eat a dick. Atx doesn't want you

>I thought the whole "money can't but happiness" thing was a meme perpetuated by poor people?

It's mostly true. I know rich people who are miserable fucks, but I know some who are happy. I know poor people who are happy, and some who are miserable.

Best way to say it is: Money ≠ Happiness.

Happiness comes from some place that isn't connected to money, it's about other things in life.

Austin it is. Seeya soon bruh.

How do I free myself from my greed and want?

Powerball motherfucker

Seems like the very realization of greed and want. Why would more money solve greed and want.

Some greed is normal, but depends what you're greedy over. If you're picturing a rolls royce with gold rims and bitches covered in diamonds dancing around it as you slowly drive through a parade thrown just for you, as you throw bills out the window...then you probably have a very unhealthy view of what's important in life.

if you're greedy to have your own place that looks nice, and nothing leaks, and there's no snakes in your basement, and having a car that runs problem free, and maybe one day getting a girl to marry, then those are pretty normal things to want.

You have already a nice premise for a novel with that life and you are wasting your time wallowing in self pity.